Listening to now...in fake Quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pyramid of the Moon - Azteca Two more times. It's that good!

Constellation - Earth Wind & Fire Rarities disc from Columbia Masters box set.
complete_columbia_masters_import-earth_wind_fire-15405872-frnt.jpg

Unreleased tracks from Between Nothingness and Eternity - Mahavishnu Orchestra Bonus disc from the Complete Columbia Albums Collection.
mahavishnu__02.jpg
mahavishnu__03.jpg

Head to the Sky (expanded) - Earth, Wind & Fire from the Columbia Masters box. 9/10
Yes, I know this one's out in Quad. I have the SQ & Q8.
albums_headtothesky.jpg

Black Market (expanded) - Weather Report from the Columbia Albums 1976 - 1982 box, all with Jaco. 10/10
weather_report-black_market(2).jpg
1000x1000.jpg

Quadlinda says nStreetnoise - Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity CD One of the best albums ANYONE every did! 8/10
Sorry Linda it is a 10/10 to me - is your 8/10 a fake quad rating?

I have not tried it out yet will do it tomorrow

I've been doing YELLO one second
Jean Michel Jarre Concerts in China

Musically, Streetnoise goes to 11. I gave it an 8 for fake Quad separation, since there are a couple tracks with sparse instrumentation, like A Word About Color and the INCREDIBLE Vauxhall to Lambeth Bridge. I suspect that most folks in the US have never heard this album. It was a double LP and the CD is priced like a single. Early jazz/rock at its' best. A FANTASTIC album and in my 100 faves (out of 20,000.)

streetnoise2.jpg
Julie+Driscoll,+Brian+Auger+%u002526+The+Trinity+-+Streetnoise+-+Back.jpg
Julie+Driscoll,+Brian+Auger+%u002526+The+Trinity+-+Streetnoise+-+Front.jpg
Julie-Driscoll-Streetnoise---Ori-549865.jpg

While you're at it, pick up their KILLER 1978 reunion album, also in my top 100. Julie married jazz musician Keith Tippets.
Julie-Driscoll--Brian-Au-Encore-286985.jpg

Rarities disc from Ram super deluxe edition - Paul McCartney 7/10. Includes the KILLER A Love for You, left off the original album and one of his best ever tracks. Sadly, it wasn't officially released until it appeared on a soundtrack 30 years later. Thank God for Club Sandwich. 7/10
10603777-1336737188-883102.jpg

Heavy Weather (expanded) from Columbia Years 1976 - 1982 box set, all with Jaco. 10/10 Their best album.
Weather%u00252BReport%2528Heavy%2BWeather%252CLP%252Cfront%2529.jpg

Ultimate Collection - Santana Dutch 3 CD (not to be confused with US single CD.) 10/10
Santana_-_The_Ultimate_Collection_-_front.jpg
Santana_-_The_Ultimate_Collection_-_back.jpg

Best of Earth, Wind & Fire Vol. 1 (expanded edition) from The Columbia Masters box 9/10
cd-cover.jpg

Ultimate Collection - Diana Ross & the Supremes 6/10
DRS-Ultimate-Collection.jpg

A BRILLIANT LP!!!!
Great music and stellar production!!!!(the CD is such a disappointment, the LP is the way to go)
(I LOVE this one...I think it shows)

Thomas Dolby, Aiens ate my Ford..I mean..Buick!

R-182459-1312909716.jpeg

Getting my Santana fix...from my favorite LP of his, III ...this time with the Stereo version (although I have an excellent DTS CD transfer from a Q4 source)...
Must admit that the Stereo version is more powerful, and since I got a real early pressing, (sealed) a few years back , it is a beauty in 96/24!!!
(and , yes, the stickers were in the back of the cover...actually, there is another sticker underneath the big pink one!)

Photo on 2012-09-19 at 12.02.jpg

Some Girls (Deluxe Edition) - Rolling Stones 6/10 2 CD
somegirls4lg.jpg

Live at the Ritz (Limited Edition) - Elton John 5/10 CD
51Yi6pHjdqL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Cafe Bleu - Style Council (w/Tracey Thorn) CD 8/10
The%u00252BStyle%2BCouncil%2B-%2BCafe%2BBleu.jpg

Box Set (disc 4) - Nat King Cole 7/10 4 CD
31vOMIx-wNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The single remastered CD's of Santana's first three have some juicy lives and alternates. I'm waiting for a 2-disc Abraxas. I do have the single. Santana (I) and III's doubles are their definitive 2ch releases.
Santana_(Legacy_Edition).jpg

There is also a 2 CD of Supernatural. Much of what was left off is better than what was put on the single album. His cover of Lighthouse's One Fine Morning is NOT to be missed.
SantanaSupernaturalLegacyEdition2CD2010_thumb.jpg

Nope , but I got the one right before that one, with 3 live extra tracks....they really jammed live...
BTW, they played in my hometown (San Juan) on this tour...but I was only 6 years old!!! I'd have appreciated it seeing them, though, I always liked music!!!

Essential Janis Joplin 2 CD 6-9/10 The GREATEST rock singer. Only Bessie Smith (her idol) belted the blues better.
The_Essential_Janis_Joplin.jpg

Basement Tapes - The Zim & The Band SACD 2ch 7/10 Synthesized much better than expected.
$T2eC16ZHJGYE9noojedPBQTdM+kFzw~~60_35.JPG

Nylon Curtain - Billy Joel SACD 2ch 7/10 Great music, but it sounds like mud.
51x6fw1VpYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

GP - Gram Parsons w/Emmylou Harris SACD 2ch 7/10
$(KGrHqJ,!g4F!,85(PWHBQQLDNRlJ!~~60_35.JPG

Double Vision - Foreigner SACD 2ch 8/10
mfsl-cd-sealed-numbered-sacd-hybrid-foreigner-double-vision-7966-p[ekm]300x291[ekm].jpg

Lost time is not found again.

Ballin'Jack CD 10/10 Great surround synthesis on PLII Music. 9 for musical content. Very good fidelity on the CD (for a '71 recording.) If you like jazz/rock horn bands, you NEED this. I got to hang in between sets with Ronnie Hammon, the drummer, when he was with War. He was floored that someone in Chicago would remember this band. Also got to hang with the other guys in War, shoot pool, do shots and partake of pizza. Lonnie Jordan was incredibly nice. The late Luther Rabb, who played bass and shares the lead vocals on this album was also part of War (the Music Band years) in the late '70's. On subsequent albums, he was the sole lead vocalist.
8683359.jpg

Last edited:
Ballin'Jack CD again
Pyramid of the Moon - Azteca CD again
Level One - Larry Coryell & the Eleventh House CD again
Living in the Past - Jethro Tull Mofi Gold 2 CD 2-8/10
16582_0.jpg
120322b.jpg

Oh, Yeah! Aerosmith's Greatest 2 SACD 2ch 6-8/10
51G7Y1PZA7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Age of Steam - Gerry Mulligan w/Tom Scott, Bob Brookmeyer, Sweets Edison, Roger Kellaway, Bud Shank, John Guerin, Joe Porcaro and Chuck Dominico. CD 9/10 This album is INDISPENSABLE if you dig jazz!
Gerry-Mulligan-The-Age-Of-Steam-492513.jpg

Some of the early tracks don't synthesize well, hence the 2 rating. Many of the later ones do, which prompted the 8. Marantz vari-matrix did the best. RM on the Sony SQD-2020 does pretty well, as does PLII Music on my B&K preamp. My Denon AVR-3801 does a nice job on this, as well.

For anyone who hasn't heard the Gold, it is the best sounding version of Living. Besides that, it has EVERY track included in the various versions of the album over the years. Although it's a compilation, the only Tull album I prefer is Stand Up. A damn incredible album, although it's mostly "strays."

Get what you can, while your money's at home sleeping...

Hmm, it's been a while since I was "Living In The Past" with Jethro Tull. And never in Quad. I'll have to pull out the Mofi and give it a try.

Which decoder did you use?

Back