Listening to now...in fake Quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I saw them in Paris at the same tour... A magical moment
Yup, 1994.. here is a ticket of a poor soul who missed the concert...I still got mine in the CD case
Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 1.49.04 PM.png

R-6078260-1480257722-8246.jpeg.jpg

another thrift shop find... I LOOOOVE BASIA!!! ever she came out with "Time and Tide"...
(what's the deal with me and LIBRA WOMEN?? ahh karma's a bitch!)...
decodes GREAT in DTS NEURAL X
I know this is reviving an old post but....
I just bought the Basia LP of Time and Tide. I was so hoping for an excellent fake quad through my Sansui 7001. But ugh. 😞 Garbage. The vocal is GONE in the rear speakers. Some of the music is missing, too. Tried synthesize, QS and SQ modes...all about the same. I even tried another cartridge/stylus combo. Nope. But I love the album anyway. She's terrific.

7734E251-B85B-48DC-8F46-5012CAF1D88C.jpeg

It has been a while since I’ve seen this thread and it just so happens that I am giving this RBCD the PLII treatment. Sounds rather nice.

I recently taped the self-titled LP from ABBA onto a nice Maxell MA metal cassette to listen to on my Boombox when I am cleaning my fish tank. Yes.......I lead a real wild and crazy life. Anyway, I didn’t bother giving it the “Tate Treatment” because ABBA doesn’t usually transfer well to surround. At least the new album doesn’t, though I suspect that Voulez-Vous does because it sounds great on CD and doesn’t have the usual ‘wall of sound’ treatment that ABBA is known for.

Well I am glad to report that ABBA the album sounds great through my Tetrasound. A good spread of instrumentation and vocals. When all three vocalists are singing the vocals are coming from everywhere, and I hear a lot of details that I’ve never heard before. I am happy, happy, happy because this is one of my favorite albums OAT (of all time). Almost like their Sgt. Pepper’s because it is so adventurous........well at least for them it is.

What is strange though in surround mode while in “ST2” mode, Frida’s vocals when she sings lead are pinched to the right channels. In ST1 mode they sound normal. I still don’t know the real difference between those two modes. Anyone?

Today, I'm starting my day with "Steamin' With The MIles Davis Quintet." Miles Davis - Trumpet, John Coltrane -Tenor Saxophone, Red Garland - Piano, Paul Chambers - Bass, and "Philly" Joe Jones - Master Drummer. This copy is a reissue vinyl. Recorded in Hackensack New Jersey May 11, 1956 and the bonus track recorded in New York on March 15, 1954.
This was recorded in Stereo, but I am able to enhance the sound with the Vari-Matrix setting.

This is a good recording and lets me hear what I am so far unable to hear on digital. And that is the distinct attack of the Jazz ride cymbal where I hear the individual notes played on the ride cymbal. The digital recordings make the attacks sound like one long sustained ring. Once in a while I hear an individual note hear and there. Would really like to get into quality digital lossless, but am too ignorant know to know what I need.

Side A
1. Surrey with the Fringe on Top.
2. Salt Peanuts.
3. Something | Dreamed Last Night

Side B
1. Diane
2. Well You Needn't
3. When I Fall in Love.
4. Old Devil Moon (Bonus track)

Back