Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tierro Band with Bridget Law EVERLASTING DANCE [Octave Records/DSD Recording/Stereo SACD] From PS Audio's audiophile Octave Records label comes this amazing disc

Tierro.png
Too bad it's not in surround. It would be awesome that way.

Too bad it's not in surround. It would be awesome that way.
Another PURIST label who thinks multichannel is ANATHEMA! Totally agree but try convincing ALL those so called audiophile labels like Intervention Records, MoFi and evern Analogue PRODUCTIONS!

Ironically, PS Audio's extraordinary PERFECTWAVE SACD TRANSPORT [6500 smackeroos] boasts the finest DSD playback available but only supports STEREO Playback.....what about all those literally thousands of Classical Multichannel SACDs .....

https://www.psaudio.com/products/perfectwave-sacd-transport/

Last edited:
Augustus RAGTIME WORLD [Octave Records/Stereo SACD] another extraordinary offering from PSAudio's Octave Records label. Really Rocks

https://www.psaudio.com/products/ragtime-world/

Augustus-1.png

Colin.jpg
Since 2014, Augustus has toured the US and recorded five previous studio albums. Their core two-guitars-bass-drums-vocals sound is spiced with a variety of electric and acoustic guitars and amps (vintage guitar heads will have a lot of fun identifying the various gear, all plain to hear on this high-resolution recording) and additional sounds including lap steel guitar, mandolin, and even a Mellotron. The music spans a variety of moods, from the rockers “Carry All the Weight,” “Past Life” and “Leave the Lights On” to the spare, fingerpicked acoustic guitar of the title track and the ethereal “Daisies,” a song about “wanting to protect your partner and dealing with those anxieties,” as Colin Kelly noted. The instruments and equipment included a 1975 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, 1997 Fender Stratocaster electric and Guild and Martin acoustic guitars, a Hammond organ, Yamaha DX-7 and Roland JD-XI synthesizers and a Yamaha grand piano, Fender Princeton, Vox AC-15 and Silvertone amps, and more.

Another PURIST label who thinks multichannel is ANATHEMA! Totally agree but try convincing ALL those so called audiophile labels like Intervention Records, MoFi and evern Analogue PRODUCTIONS!

Ironically, PS Audio's extraordinary PERFECTWAVE SACD TRANSPORT [6500 smackeroos] boasts the finest DSD playback available but only supports STEREO Playback.....what about all those literally thousands of Classical Multichannel SACDs .....

PS Audio is a VERY odd duck, IMNSHO. I bought several of their power ports (AC outlets) while building my theater, not so much that I expected any improvement in the performance of the electronics, but that I wanted to avoid any issues with the outlets weakening like I’ve had with the 99 cent Home Deep Owe variety. They have an on-line free magazine called Copper that I read, and it often has links to surround music, but they simply refuse to provide any surround material themselves. I bought a few of their stereo SACDs, and they’re fine, but I spent a fair amount of time and money on a surround system, and new material that’s fine stereo isn’t generally what I’m after.

I’ll check out that release, though. Recommendations here are usually worth the effort.

PS Audio is a VERY odd duck, IMNSHO. I bought several of their power ports (AC outlets) while building my theater, not so much that I expected any improvement in the performance of the electronics, but that I wanted to avoid any issues with the outlets weakening like I’ve had with the 99 cent Home Deep Owe variety. They have an on-line free magazine called Copper that I read, and it often has links to surround music, but they simply refuse to provide any surround material themselves. I bought a few of their stereo SACDs, and they’re fine, but I spent a fair amount of time and money on a surround system, and new material that’s fine stereo isn’t generally what I’m after.

I’ll check out that release, though. Recommendations here are usually worth the effort.
They did recently have a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale on their Stereo SACDs which also included FREE s/h....now expired. MOST of the high end hardware manufacturers eschew multichannel for STEREO ...so nothing new there. But their $6500 PerfectWave SACD player plays everything but the kitchen sink [read the specs on their website] but NOT to at least include a multichannel option is IMO patently RIDICULOUS!

Is it stereo or primarily mono?

I have the MFSL Surrealistic Pillow and because I listened to the stereo version not the mono version I don't like the MFSL mono version of Surrealistic Pillows.
It's definitely STEREO, hirez and it does state ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING which denotes remastered from the original analogue tapes!

Well, if you've ever seen any of Paul's videos on Youtube, you'll know he's by no means the brains behind PS Audio. As for all those multichannel classical SACD's, he doesn't care. They all have stereo layers, too.

Back