Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently in the SACD player... this new one from Analogue Productions:

600x600bb.jpg
Hopefully, Blackwood, sounds spectacular! Such an incredible album.

Hopefully, Blackwood, sounds spectacular! Such an incredible album.
I wish I was one of those forum members who can pick apart a CD and tell everyone where it shines and where it stinks, and how it compares to prior versions. I’m in awe of them. But it ain’t me.

The only other version I have is from the Citizen Steely Dan set which I haven’t listened to in years and usually only listened in MP3 form after ripping to my computer (didn’t have a stereo system for years), so I can’t even compare it to that much less other versions that folks have. I now have some Dan SHM-CDs, but not of this one.

I’ll say this, though... I’m enjoying it immensely. Glad I bought it and looking forward to the others.

Artist: Ryuichi Sakamoto
Album: B-2 Unit
Hybrid Stereo SACD
If you’re into experimental electronic music, this is a must have SACD:
- Outstanding soundstage & fidelity.
- Some passages sound like a surround sound 5.1 mix!
- Beautiful mini LP replica including original insert.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
4214E2BA-A644-4885-ACC9-BA1047F91C3B.jpeg

Judee Sill, self-titled (Intervention, 2022). Finally decided to check out Judee Sill, and since the OOP Abracadabra set is kind of pricey anyway, I decided to spring for Intervention's recent reissues. What great songwriting, and what an original voice! (Maggie Roche, a longtime favorite of mine, is another unique talent, but I mean...she had to have listened to Judee Sill at the start, right?)

I don't know if this album really had enough audiophile potential to merit an SACD release and--this makes me a heretic on this thread, probably--I'm not an ardent devotee of the format for mono or stereo, anyway. But it's a good mastering, just the same!
https://www.interventionrecords.com/records/judee-sill-cd-sacd/

Last edited:
Judee Sill, self-titled (Intervention, 2022). Finally decided to check out Judee Sill, and since the OOP Abracadabra set is kind of pricey anyway, I decided to go with Intervention's recent reissues. What great songwriting, and what an original voice! (Maggie Roche, a longtime favorite of mine, is another unique talent, but I mean...she had to have listened to Judee Sill at the start, right?)

I don't know if this album really had enough audiophile potential to merit an SACD release and--this makes me a heretic on this thread, probably--I'm not an ardent devotee of the format for mono or stereo, anyway. But it's a good mastering, just the same!
importCD has both titles as well, only they are at the $25/26 price point.

https://www.importcds.com/search?mod=AP&q=judee+sill&ft=SACD

Judee Sill, self-titled (Intervention, 2022). Finally decided to check out Judee Sill, and since the OOP Abracadabra set is kind of pricey anyway, I decided to go with Intervention's recent reissues. What great songwriting, and what an original voice! (Maggie Roche, a longtime favorite of mine, is another unique talent, but I mean...she had to have listened to Judee Sill at the start, right?)

Agreed on all counts 👍🏼
1) This may be heresy to some, but I have decided Hi Rez stereo SACD’s, Blu-Rays, etc are a snooze - other than playing them on fake 7 channel through my Yamaha receiver 😜
2) Having said that, I would probably never have listened to Judee Sill if her albums were not released on SACD - and that would have been my loss…
3) Having said that…I would have never heard of her if not for the excellent “A Song For Judee” on the even more excellent Case/Lang/Veirs album - if you don’t have it, run…don’t walk to get it 😍
4) Big Roches fan here…not JUST because I am from NJ. Saw them about 20 years ago at a nearby church - I am guessing more due to acoustics than affiliation(?)
In any event, the sisters hung around and chatted after the show. Maggie was very sweet & approachable. I told her for many, many years “Hammond Song” was one of my faves - but I knew it by The Colourfield & thought Terry Hall wrote it!
She laughed & said that she really liked their version but had never met Terry to tell him so…and to think he is gone 😢

Agreed on all counts 👍🏼
1) This may be heresy to some, but I have decided Hi Rez stereo SACD’s, Blu-Rays, etc are a snooze - other than playing them on fake 7 channel through my Yamaha receiver 😜
That said: give me the first four Roches albums on SACD and I'll buy them all over again!
3) Having said that…I would have never heard of her if not for the excellent “A Song For Judee” on the even more excellent Case/Lang/Veirs album - if you don’t have it, run…don’t walk to get it 😍
Now in my Apple Music library. Thanks!
4) Big Roches fan here…not JUST because I am from NJ. Saw them about 20 years ago at a nearby church - I am guessing more due to acoustics than affiliation(?)

In any event, the sisters hung around and chatted after the show. Maggie was very sweet & approachable. I told her for many, many years “Hammond Song” was one of my faves - but I knew it by The Colourfield & thought Terry Hall wrote it!
She laughed & said that she really liked their version but had never met Terry to tell him so…and to think he is gone 😢
And to think is Maggie gone, too. Six years now, yikes. A couple of nice posthumous collections produced by her sisters, though (one | two).

And now back to our regularly scheduled stereo and mono SACD programming!

That said: give me the first four Roches albums on SACD and I'll buy them all over again!

Now in my Apple Music library. Thanks!

And to think is Maggie gone, too. Six years now, yikes. A couple of nice posthumous collections produced by her sisters, though (one | two).

And now back to our regularly scheduled stereo and mono SACD programming!
I actually did not know that she had passed away 😢
Thanks for the tip on the collections 👍🏼

Back