Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A super fine DSD64 stereo SACD from Willie.
692rev1.jpg

Oh brother, an Analogue Productions order just came in. I had clickitis when 3 weeks ago I thought this Covid-19 was going to be temporary.
7 of those little Japanese boxes single layer SACD's , 6 Hybrid SACD's and 1 single layer in a plastic jewel case (actually was supposed to be a little box). Some on sale, some not.
I'm addicted to those little white boxes. The ONLY good news I can tell you is that every one that I have owned sound great and I would like to assume that these will also.
I have the Blu Ray of The Sex Pistols, Never Mind The Bollocks, one of the Japanese boxes was the same, be interesting to see if there is a sonic difference?
Oh well, listening to this super great stereo jazz=
CBNJ_84080_SA__55863__01152009124842-761.jpg

Oh brother, an Analogue Productions order just came in. I had clickitis when 3 weeks ago I thought this Covid-19 was going to be temporary.
7 of those little Japanese boxes single layer SACD's , 6 Hybrid SACD's and 1 single layer in a plastic jewel case (actually was supposed to be a little box). Some on sale, some not.
I'm addicted to those little white boxes. The ONLY good news I can tell you is that every one that I have owned sound great and I would like to assume that these will also.
I have the Blu Ray of The Sex Pistols, Never Mind The Bollocks, one of the Japanese boxes was the same, be interesting to see if there is a sonic difference?
Oh well, listening to this super great stereo jazz=
View attachment 48599

You did well, Markie. Hope you still were able to get that 15% off, NO Tax and FREE shipping. About a year ago, I was able to buy the BUGGLES: The Age of Plastic [1980] in that beautiful little box for $40 from Deep Discount but since CDJapan has NO more of those SHM~SACD in 'little boxes' supply and demand dictated you buy them from Acoustic Sounds even though they were marked up to $60 each.

Listening to one of my little boxes, 10CC-Deceptive Bends. Japanese single layer SHM SACD stereo.
I really like this music, surprised I never had any version before. I can hear Paul McCartney and George Harrison solo artists in there music.

Well Ralphie, the boxes where $59.99 and with discount came to $50.00, crazy, I did get The Buggles also. The one that I bought years ago that I think is the coolest is Grand Funk's Were An American Band, the replica mini album is like gold foil, you don't even want to touch it.
CMEJ_9567_SA__97616__08052014095538-4375.jpg

Listening to one of my little boxes, 10CC-Deceptive Bends. Japanese single layer SHM SACD stereo.
I really like this music, surprised I never had any version before. I can hear Paul McCartney and George Harrison solo artists in there music.

Well Ralphie, the boxes where $59.99 and with discount came to $50.00, crazy, I did get The Buggles also. The one that I bought years ago that I think is the coolest is Grand Funk's Were An American Band, the replica mini album is like gold foil, you don't even want to touch it.
View attachment 48605
Get as many of these beautiful boxes as you can.
The ones I've seen were all put out in 2014.
There's a little booklet inside that states
"Flat transfer from analog master"
I have a few and they're all great !

Get as many of these beautiful boxes as you can.
The ones I've seen were all put out in 2014.
There's a little booklet inside that states
"Flat transfer from analog master"
I have a few and they're all great !
I have a lot of them. It would be cool to see a list. I know that some sold out right away but you could still get in the plastic jewel case. I purchased The Carpenters Greatest Hits advertised with picture of box but got the jewel case instead, which is a bummer because I hate The Carpenters. I looked on HR Audio.net but when looking at Universal Japan, it has them but not pictures of boxes. I don't have the Camel's, did Caravan come out in box? what about Black Sabbath?

I have a lot of them. It would be cool to see a list. I know that some sold out right away but you could still get in the plastic jewel case. I purchased The Carpenters Greatest Hits advertised with picture of box but got the jewel case instead, which is a bummer because I hate The Carpenters. I looked on HR Audio.net but when looking at Universal Japan, it has them but not pictures of boxes. I don't have the Camel's, did Caravan come out in box? what about Black Sabbath?

Regarding those SHM~SACDs in little boxes, I have seen disclaimers which state that although they were initially released in those little boxes, subsequent SHM~SACDs may only be re~released in CD Cases with those obis. So don't be disappointed, like Markie was with the Carpenter's disc, if they're shipped out that way.

Me, I'm a sucker for those Hybrid SACDS in that special 7" packaging. I really wish they'd release more of them. And not all of them, BTW, are QUAD!

Continuing on with the beautiful...

Peter, Paul and Mary - In The Wind

1585920901687.png

An absolutely great album... and so well recorded. I've used this as a demo for guests of what an SACD stereo album can sound like through my surround system... outstanding.

Continuing on with the beautiful...

Peter, Paul and Mary - In The Wind

View attachment 48629

An absolutely great album... and so well recorded. I've used this as a demo for guests of what an SACD stereo album can sound like through my surround system... outstanding.

Now I have to see if I own this.....I might.

What is it my man? I can't read the title.
Aphrodite's Child-666
Former band of composer Vangelis!

666 (The Apocalypse of John, 13/18) is a double album by psychedelic/progressive art rock group Aphrodite's Child. It was released in 1972, and was the primary vehicle/effort for the Vangelis project. It had a minor Album Oriented Radio hit in "The Four Horsemen", and the song "Break" was also released. The album was ostensibly an adaptation of Biblical passages from the book of the same name, but was also very experimental in lyrics and composition.

666 was created with an outside lyricist, Costas Ferris. The music combines psychedelic and progressive rock with ethnic instruments, choral chanting, recitations, and use of synthesizers and keyboards. The record company, Mercury Records, objected to the double-album length of 666 and the musical experimentation. High-fidelity SHM-SACD format (fully compatible with standard SACD player, but it does not play on standard CD players). Japanese pressing.

High-fidelity SHM-SACD format (fully compatible with standard SACD player, but it does not play on standard CD players). Japanese pressing.

Aphrodite's Child-666
Former band of composer Vangelis!

666 (The Apocalypse of John, 13/18) is a double album by psychedelic/progressive art rock group Aphrodite's Child. It was released in 1972, and was the primary vehicle/effort for the Vangelis project. It had a minor Album Oriented Radio hit in "The Four Horsemen", and the song "Break" was also released. The album was ostensibly an adaptation of Biblical passages from the book of the same name, but was also very experimental in lyrics and composition.

666 was created with an outside lyricist, Costas Ferris. The music combines psychedelic and progressive rock with ethnic instruments, choral chanting, recitations, and use of synthesizers and keyboards. The record company, Mercury Records, objected to the double-album length of 666 and the musical experimentation. High-fidelity SHM-SACD format (fully compatible with standard SACD player, but it does not play on standard CD players). Japanese pressing.

High-fidelity SHM-SACD format (fully compatible with standard SACD player, but it does not play on standard CD players). Japanese pressing.
666-5407f4af60a81.jpg

I thought I would make an A/B comparison (I own both) of The Sex Pistols, Never Mind The Bullocks between the SHM SACD and the HFPA Blu Ray.
First off, it is The Sex Pistols and never would any release by them ever be considered audiophile, but I am bored.
The SHM SACD, 12 tracks is $60.00 via Acoustic Sounds and the Blu Ray, 30 tracks (B Sides, rarities and Stockholm live show) is $30.00 via Discogs.
Both when I listened where the ripped versions, JRiver the player, to the external DAC, to the AVR, amp, speakers.
The DR values are slightly better per track original 12 on the Blu Ray (9's and 10"s), the SHM SACD are (7's,8's,9's and one 10).
This is a great example of how the SHM SACD beats out the BD-A.
The SHM SACD is a little mellower, has better bass which lends to the sonic sound being less bright then the BD-A.
I had more ear fatigue with the BD-A than the SHM SACD. That said, here we are back to, it is The Sex Pistols, I don't believe you could listen to any version at 75db which is what I listened and not get ear fatigue.
I think both versions are to be turned up and walk away and clean the house or whatever you do during this Virus World.
For the money of course the one to get is the Blu Ray but I tend to be a purist not really needing live shows, B sides, etc.
The SHM SACD was purchased more for my little Japanese Box collection, but it is nice to know that I get a bit of a better sound with the SHM SACD.
Just a note, not including digital downloads which is another subject, my order of preference for stereo is SACD, my order for surround preference is DVD-A. The BD-A's whether stereo or surround don't seem to have that low end that I like.
Of course, there are exceptions all over the place, that is what makes being an audiophile fun/frustrating. Fun with the good inexpensive find and frustrating with the expensive not that great sounding disc.
Thanks for the QQ outlet, helps with boredom, and helps me be a better listener, which does take time to learn a way of hearing, again another subject.
CUNJ_9537_SA__94691__12192013090015-7482.jpg
R-5931109-1406633006-6858.jpeg.jpg

I thought I would make an A/B comparison (I own both) of The Sex Pistols, Never Mind The Bullocks between the SHM SACD and the HFPA Blu Ray.
First off, it is The Sex Pistols and never would any release by them ever be considered audiophile, but I am bored.
The SHM SACD, 12 tracks is $60.00 via Acoustic Sounds and the Blu Ray, 30 tracks (B Sides, rarities and Stockholm live show) is $30.00 via Discogs.
Both when I listened where the ripped versions, JRiver the player, to the external DAC, to the AVR, amp, speakers.
The DR values are slightly better per track original 12 on the Blu Ray (9's and 10"s), the SHM SACD are (7's,8's,9's and one 10).
This is a great example of how the SHM SACD beats out the BD-A.
The SHM SACD is a little mellower, has better bass which lends to the sonic sound being less bright then the BD-A.
I had more ear fatigue with the BD-A than the SHM SACD. That said, here we are back to, it is The Sex Pistols, I don't believe you could listen to any version at 75db which is what I listened and not get ear fatigue.
I think both versions are to be turned up and walk away and clean the house or whatever you do during this Virus World.
For the money of course the one to get is the Blu Ray but I tend to be a purist not really needing live shows, B sides, etc.
The SHM SACD was purchased more for my little Japanese Box collection, but it is nice to know that I get a bit of a better sound with the SHM SACD.
Just a note, not including digital downloads which is another subject, my order of preference for stereo is SACD, my order for surround preference is DVD-A. The BD-A's whether stereo or surround don't seem to have that low end that I like.
Of course, there are exceptions all over the place, that is what makes being an audiophile fun/frustrating. Fun with the good inexpensive find and frustrating with the expensive not that great sounding disc.
Thanks for the QQ outlet, helps with boredom, and helps me be a better listener, which does take time to learn a way of hearing, again another subject.
View attachment 48744View attachment 48745

GREAT overview, Markie. Again, different players give different results. I have to say the OPPO 205 plays UHD4K, BD~Vs, DVDs [upsampled] and BD~As REMARKABLY WELL with plenty of bass. But my Meridian 800 IS STILL THE CHAMP for DVD~A and DVD~V DTS/DD 5.1......the OPPOs can't touch it in THAT department. And for RBCDs, My Meridian 808 is THE champ and it also plays STEREO DVD~As fantastically well....even better than the Meridian 800 in DVD~A STEREO.

And my Marantz tank~like SA 11S3 remains the champ for SACD Stereo playback.

I ONLY wish Universal Japan had released some single layered multi channel SACDs with a stereo layer, as well. Can you only imagine how great those would've sounded?

Last edited:
Just finished listening to another Japanese Box SHM SACD stereo DSD64. The Buggles-The Age Of Plastic.
Super good sounding disc with catchy pop/electronica/rock music. I remember seeing a special TV show that was a tribute to Trevor Horn, I had no idea he produced so many bands, Yes, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, he was the bass player for his band The Buggles with the hit "Video Killed The Radio-Star" which is on this disc. DR values are mostly 12's and 13's with a 10 and a 16.
I noticed when I went back to Acoustic Sounds to copy the image it was gone from the SHM SACD list, did I possibly get the last one? CDJapan has it either no longer available or a different version back ordered.
Notice on the picture I have here the dark blue OBI strip, sometimes these would only be for the Platinum SHM CD box, remember those, they sold at the same time. I think I have one that FredBlue told me to get in 2014, can't remember what it was, maybe a Supertramp?
The actual box will have the blue SHM SACD in blue but the paper wrap around sleeve will be the the lighter grayish OBI strip.
Oh man, now I sound like the rock concert poster collector I used to be. Anyway this was a good one.
R-5715985-1472138580-4976.jpeg.jpg

GREAT overview, Markie. Again, different players give different results. I have to say the OPPO 205 plays UHD4K, BD~Vs, DVDs [upsampled] and BD~As REMARKABLY WELL with plenty of bass. But my Meridian 800 IS STILL THE CHAMP for DVD~A and DVD~V DTS/DD 5.1......the OPPOs can't touch it in THAT department. And for RBCDs, My Meridian 808 is THE champ and it also plays STEREO DVD~As fantastically well....even better than the Meridian 800 in DVD~A STEREO.

And my Marantz tank~like SA 11S3 remains the champ for SACD Stereo playback.

I ONLY wish Universal Japan had released some single layered multi channel SACDs with a stereo layer, as well. Can you only imagine how great those would've sounded?
I totally agree my friend, equipment, original mastering, analog to digital, room set up, and my mood all makes a difference, that's why all of us pursue our hobby to the best of our abilities. I am currently looking at some digital hardware tweaks that I want to do when I move my rig. I have become convinced that when I move, just move, don't change a thing and get used to the new room acoustics first and if I do add say an audiophile Ethernet switch for instance just add one piece and listen for a couple weeks before adding another. Learn to enjoy what can be very small differences in sound quality.

Back