Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Odd, mine's called 999.
MVIMG_20200405_085425.jpg

Grand Funk-Shinin' On- Stereo DSD64.

I have listened to both the 2016 Audio Fidelity Hybrid SACD AFZ 251 $40.00 and the 2014 SHM SACD Single Layer TYGP-89002 $60.00.
I listened to both at 58db.
I did not play the disc manually (sitting up and down changing disc in player). I did play the dsf digital file via my JRiver player which enables me to play each track of the two discs side by side.
Bitrate 5644 and track by track DR values are exactly the same (one 9, mostly 10's and 11's) on both discs.

SHM SACD, has more detail that I believe would be hard to hear if you where not doing a critical listen. What I mean by detail is the music seems to have each note, or measure, tighter with a nice separation between. This of course is highly critical.
The bass a little better.

AF Hybrid SACD, has everything that the SHM SACD has just a little less. There are lots of parts on this recording that have slow starts, drums, guitars, loud and soft parts that the AF disc captures exactly the same as the single layer disc.

Packaging: of course without doubt the mini Japanese box of the SHM SACD is better and what I didn't know as I purchased the AF 2016 release first was that the included 3D glasses that are loose with the AF plastic jewel case are actually a perforated cut out on the actual original album which is how you get the mini LP in the box of the SHM SACD.

As always "cost vs listening pleasure"? For the average audiophile the AF is a good choice, but for the collector/hobbyist the SHM SACD is a good choice.

Disclaimer: my ears and listening set up is different than others so my experience is expected to be different. Just trying to have some fun and purpose while stuck at home during COVID-19.
CCAPJ_89002_SA__95751__04082014085755-5526.jpg
12009.jpg

Ok, I listened (repeatedly) to the first three songs on the MoFi ELECTRIC WARRIOR SACD, then the same on the A&M Japanese SACD-SHM. Then just the first song, back to back.

Both releases are excellent! I used the same settings for both, but there is one difference, in that the Japanese version uses the green ink, ONSHO SHIYOU.

On other reissues with the ink, I could swear it sounded more "buttery," and it does a tiny bit in this comparison. But that might be auto-suggestion. So how to compare fairly?

Well, as a musician, I had noticed that Bolan tended to augment his guitar playing -- which usually leans toward the left channel in EW -- by a faint backing of over-dubbed guitar (or guitars!) that leaned toward the right channel.

I can DEFINITELY say that the backing guitars on the right channel are clearer and more nuanced on the new MoFi version! This of course brings up the question of which master tape was used. From what I understand, the UK master has degraded, and recent versions have used one found on the west coast of the USA. _IF_ it is the same tape, probably the US version, I do believe the MoFi transfer is a little more detailed, not just in the right channel, but also the left (a tiny bit less muddy).

But man -- both sound great!

Anybody else do an A/B here? Would love to hear your comments. I'm glad to have both. Perhaps the MoFi for single person listening, and the SHM for parties, when nobody is being critical? In the long run, the SHM theoretically will hold up longer.

[edit: reversed left and right from original posting . . . maybe I'm dyslexic, dunno]

Last edited:
Ok, I listened (repeatedly) to the first three songs on the MoFi ELECTRIC WARRIOR SACD, then the same on the A&M Japanese SACD-SHM. Then just the first song, back to back.

Both releases are excellent! I used the same settings for both, but there is one difference, in that the Japanese version uses the green ink, ONSHO SHIYOU.

On other reissues with the ink, I could swear it sounded more "buttery," and it does a tiny bit in this comparison. But that might be auto-suggestion. So how to compare fairly?

Well, as a musician, I had noticed that Bolan tended to augment his guitar playing -- which usually leans toward the right channel in EW -- by a faint backing of over-dubbed guitar (or guitars!) that leaned toward the left channel.

I can DEFINITELY say that the backing guitars on the left channel are clearer and more nuanced on the new MoFi version! This of course brings up the question of which master tape was used. From what I understand, the UK master has degraded, and recent versions have used one found on the west coast of the USA. _IF_ it is the same tape, probably the US version, I do believe the MoFi transfer is a little more detailed, not just in the left channel, but also the right (a tiny bit less muddy).

Anybody else do an A/B here? Would love to hear your comments. I'm glad to have both. Perhaps the MoFi for single person listening, and the SHM for parties, when nobody is being critical? In the long run, the SHM theoretically will hold up longer.
When my MOFI copy arrives, it will be my only copy....so I can't A/B. But I'll be glad to comment on the fidelity of it.

When my MOFI copy arrives, it will be my only copy....so I can't A/B. But I'll be glad to comment on the fidelity of it.

Note that I mixed up left and right (sigh) on my original posting. Should be main guitar in left, and backing towards right.

Have you _heard_ this before? Was a main part of my high school life LOL.

Well, as a musician, I had noticed that Bolan tended to augment his guitar playing -- which usually leans toward the left channel in EW -- by a faint backing of over-dubbed guitar (or guitars!) that leaned toward the right channel.

I can DEFINITELY say that the backing guitars on the right channel are clearer and more nuanced on the new MoFi version! This of course brings up the question of which master tape was used. From what I understand, the UK master has degraded, and recent versions have used one found on the west coast of the USA. _IF_ it is the same tape, probably the US version, I do believe the MoFi transfer is a little more detailed, not just in the right channel, but also the left (a tiny bit less muddy).

[edit: reversed left and right from original posting . . . maybe I'm dyslexic, dunno]

I wonder how it would compare with the 2004 MLP DVD~A 5.1 remastered version released by Rhino/Warner which admittedly was not exactly a discrete sonic showcase.

BTW, MoFi has been utilizing DSD 256 [QUAD DSD] for the past few years to remaster their SACDs from the original analogue masters.

https://www.discogs.com/T-Rex-Electric-Warrior/release/5576673

Last edited:
Last edited:
I wonder how it would compare with the 2004 MLP DVD~A 5.1 remastered version released by Rhino/Warner which admittedly was not exactly a discrete sonic showcase.

BTW, MoFi has been utilizing DSD 256 [QUAD DSD] for the past few years to remaster their SACDs from the original analogue masters.

https://www.discogs.com/T-Rex-Electric-Warrior/release/5576673
Don't have the DVD. Please add your thoughts 😃 . I also have the German Multi-channel SACD, but that's for a different discussion. (To be honest, the stereo SACDs sound a lot better than the Multi . . . but Multi is still Multi haha and a different animal).

Back