Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And not to be overlooked is Jacintha's latest Stereo SACD, a tribute to James Taylor: Fire and Rain

See the source image

See the source image

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/...in_Tribute_To_James_Taylor-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD

BTW, Clement, did you take advantage of that AP sale at Acoustic Sounds when they offered 10 AP Blue Note Stereo/Mono SACDs for 100 big ones! As a result of that, I have a few doubles, but for $10 each ..... what the heck~o~la?
YESSIR! Was that another recoRAMdation? I should have a couple of shelves dedicated to titles you've turned me on to . . . to which you've turned me on--phuquing recovering Engl-ish teachers!

YESSIR! Was that another recoRAMdation? I should have a couple of shelves dedicated to titles you've turned me on to . . . to which you've turned me on--phuquing recovering Engl-ish teachers!

And make sure Komrade Clement that there's ample room on those 'dedicated' shelves for my keepsake urn which you will ceremoniously place next to your Criterion BD~V of Scorsese's LAST TEMPTATION of CHRIST with that luscious Peter Gabriel 5.1 soundtrack!

Peter Gabriel OST LAST TEMPTATION of CHRIST [GEFFEN RECORDS/Single layer Stereo SACD]

See the source image

See the source image

I don't Remember....I don't Recall .... I don't Remember ANYTHING AT ALL!

Last edited:
Wow...that 10 for $100 sale at Acoustic Sounds sounds great. How long ago was that?

Also, I'm new to SACDs, and have a question. Stereo-wise, is there a difference sonically between single-layer SACDs and hybrid SACDs?

Wow...that 10 for $100 sale at Acoustic Sounds sounds great. How long ago was that?

Also, I'm new to SACDs, and have a question. Stereo-wise, is there a difference sonically between single-layer SACDs and hybrid SACDs?

That's a tough call. Unfortunately, single layered SACDs whether stereo or multichannel can ONLY be played on dedicated SACD players which is why they switched to hybrid which also contains a RBCD layer.

Universal Japan with their single layered SHM~SACD process seemed to think that by eliminating the RBCD layer and only restricting their releases to STEREO and by applying green ink to the label side there was indeed sonic benefits to be derived but the jury is still out on what benefits, if any, their proprietary SHM process delivers. A lot of pundits argue it's just BETTER MASTERING from BETTER master tapes.

Since SACDs are pressed on ordinary DVDs and enjoy the multi layering of the latter, I don't think the hybrid SACD, if done accurately, is any less sonically pleasing than the single layered variety. Just MY opinion and I have thousands of SACDs!

That's a tough call. Unfortunately, single layered SACDs whether stereo or multichannel can ONLY be played on dedicated SACD players which is why they switched to hybrid which also contains a RBCD layer.

Universal Japan with their single layered SHM~SACD process seemed to think that by eliminating the RBCD layer and only restricting their releases to STEREO and by applying green ink to the label side there was indeed sonic benefits to be derived but the jury is still out on what benefits, if any, their proprietary SHM process delivers. A lot of pundits argue it's just BETTER MASTERING from BETTER master tapes.

Since SACDs are pressed on ordinary DVDs and enjoy the multi layering of the latter, I don't think the hybrid SACD, if done accurately, is any less sonically pleasing than the single layered variety. Just MY opinion and I have thousands of SACDs!
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

As I said, I am new to SACDs, and learning that there is a wide variation in them.

I recently purchased a dedicated SACD player which has solid reviews, and I have been (somewhat indiscriminately) buying SACDs.

For example, I bought the 7" Japanese SACD of "Bitches Brew", and I also bought the MoFi version off the Miles site. No way around it - the CD sounds better than both. Same with "Miles Smiles" and "ESP" - CD is better. But the "In a Silent Way" SACD is an improvement over the CD version, as is "Miles in the Sky". So, it's been hit-and-miss buying SACDs that are a definite improvement over the CDs I have.

And today my whole perspective changed, because my copy of Mingus Ah Um arrived, and it is quite simply the best recorded music I have ever heard. Is there a place I can go to find a list of jazz SACDs that are in the same league as Ah Um? Any advice would be appreciated.

I should add that I listen only to stereo, so the multi-channel part is not important to me. Thanks again for the help! John

And make sure Komrade Clement that there's ample room on those 'dedicated' shelves for my keepsake urn which you will ceremoniously place next to your Criterion BD~V of Scorsese's LAST TEMPTATION of CHRIST with that luscious Peter Gabriel 5.1 soundtrack!

Peter Gabriel OST LAST TEMPTATION of CHRIST [GEFFEN RECORDS/Single layer Stereo SACD]

See the source image

See the source image

I don't Remember....I don't Recall .... I don't Remember ANYTHING AT ALL!
You have mos' def' earned a place for that urn on my shelves! As a recovering Engl-ish teacher, when i use the word comrade, i am thinking of this definition:
a companion who shares one's activities or is a fellow member of an organization.
You, sir, are a TRUE comrade! Your posts bring me joy (except when they don't), and you have NEVER steered me wrong with a recoRAMdation! I'm soaking in some Jacintha now (her sophomore effort), thanks to your singing her praises on this site. Stay Surrounded, Comrade!
1600967277706.png

https://www.allmusic.com/album/autumn-leaves-the-songs-of-johnny-mercer-mw0000730566

Back