Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't Stop! Power Pop 'Til U Drop!
1604768497954.png
1604768520318.png
Matthew Sweet 100% Fun
https://theseconddisc.com/2018/10/25/review-matthew-sweet-100-fun-from-intervention-records/

A big order came in yesterday....

Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson

View attachment 59020 View attachment 59021

I haven't heard this album since the late 70's...
Got mine last Thursday, couldnt wait to listen to it. Without you sounds awesome! Coconut and Gotta get up are the best I’ve heard! He had an incredible voice and his range was amazing.

Since I bought these SACD’s and converted them to DSD64 to play on my Mac mini server, I found myself comparing them to the cd’s or flac files I have of the same albums. Some cd’s sound quite good and are really close to the DSD, but others you can tell 3 seconds into the song that the DSD is superior In my opinion. So now I’m back to listening to playlists of a lot of the flac files again with DSD intertwined. I listen to the flac and think wow these sound good and then I hear the DAC POP twice and the DSD comes back on and blows me away! I guess I’ll get used to it. Anyone else have the same problem? LOL!

Since I bought these SACD’s and converted them to DSD64 to play on my Mac mini server, I found myself comparing them to the cd’s or flac files I have of the same albums. Some cd’s sound quite good and are really close to the DSD, but others you can tell 3 seconds into the song that the DSD is superior In my opinion. So now I’m back to listening to playlists of a lot of the flac files again with DSD intertwined. I listen to the flac and think wow these sound good and then I hear the DAC POP twice and the DSD comes back on and blows me away! I guess I’ll get used to it. Anyone else have the same problem? LOL!
I’ve never experienced that problem and I suspect that it’s likely DAC related. My stereo DAC is a Chord DAVE, for which you can choose settings optimized for either FLAC or DSD(though it will play either format with either setting). Also, some DACs happen to have their software dialed in to favor one format over the other. That was the case for my previous stereo DAC, the Auralic Vega, which did an exceptional job with DSD.

I have 2 actually, the first one I bought was a PS Audio Nu Wave. I used that for a month or so and decided to upgrade to a Teac UD-505. I mainly use the Teac and have it set up according to the book as best settings. I‘m not sure why but on both DAC’S whenever it automatically switches from the flac decoding to the dsd I get 2 bumps. Then it plays. I googled your DAC, I would love to hear that. I find mine to sound great and that was just under 2k. I can only imagine what yours sounds like.

Thanks @Hamptonman. Though I’ve certainly heard of both of your DACs, I’m not knowledgable about the workings of either. Perhaps someone else on the forum could weigh in here to offer you some information and guidance regarding your issue.

A few years back I inherited some money and spent it on a good stereo headphone system, hence the purchase of the Chord DAVE. Since then, I’ve retired and so have become considerably more conservative about my spending. The DAVE is an incredible DAC that I would not be able to afford in my current financial situation(I’m by no means poor - there are just different priorities at this stage). I do, however, continue to purchase music on disc and via download and, thanks to you, I’m now considering on picking up Nilsson Schmilsson on SACD.😊

Thanks @Hamptonman. Though I’ve certainly heard of both of your DACs, I’m not knowledgable about the workings of either. Perhaps someone else on the forum could weigh in here to offer you some information and guidance regarding your issue.

A few years back I inherited some money and spent it on a good stereo headphone system, hence the purchase of the Chord DAVE. Since then, I’ve retired and so have become considerably more conservative about my spending. The DAVE is an incredible DAC that I would not be able to afford in my current financial situation(I’m by no means poor - there are just different priorities at this stage). I do, however, continue to purchase music on disc and via download and, thanks to you, I’m now considering on picking up Nilsson Schmilsson on SACD.😊
I like you am in the same boat. I’m almost 60 so the chances of me dropping that much money on a DAC is very low. Although I’m still working, I have too many other toys. (Pontoon Boat, Jetski, grand kids, etc) I would love to hear your DAC on my system though, just to see what the difference really is. I see these high priced DAC’S and my friend and I try to figure out how they could sound any better than what we have. We keep saying we’re going to buy one listen to it for a week just to hear it, then return it! 😆 I don’t think you‘ll be disappointed with Schmilsson, it’s a really good album and it really sounds great!

I like you am in the same boat. I’m almost 60 so the chances of me dropping that much money on a DAC is very low. Although I’m still working, I have too many other toys. (Pontoon Boat, Jetski, grand kids, etc) I would love to hear your DAC on my system though, just to see what the difference really is. I see these high priced DAC’S and my friend and I try to figure out how they could sound any better than what we have. We keep saying we’re going to buy one listen to it for a week just to hear it, then return it! 😆 I don’t think you‘ll be disappointed with Schmilsson, it’s a really good album and it really sounds great!
I like the slightly devious strategy that you and your buddy have come up with; it’s not very different from the way that women buy clothes(they buy three blouses knowing that they’ll eventually only keep one or two 🤔). Only problem is, once you hear DAVE you will be looking around for things to sell so you can keep it 😯.

Buying the Nilsson Schmilsson SACD would make it my third purchase of the album(though my CD copy also has additional bonus demo tracks).

I like the slightly devious strategy that you and your buddy have come up with; it’s not very different from the way that women buy clothes(they buy three blouses knowing that they’ll eventually only keep one or two 🤔). Only problem is, once you hear DAVE you will be looking around for things to sell so you can keep it 😯.

Buying the Nilsson Schmilsson SACD would make it my third purchase of the album(though my CD copy also has additional bonus demo tracks).
I have 2 versions of Schmilsson on regular cd and now SACD. Yea, we’ll probably never do it but..... if I had the chance to experience it on my system, and I felt there was a difference I’d buy one hands down! I just don’t want to spend on a hi priced one and find out my old ears can’t hear the difference, I’ll be stuck with it. I immediately heard the difference when I hooked up the PS Audio Nu Wave and then the Teac to my Integra 80.6 pre amp. And the addition of the SACD and being able to rip and play music through my Mac Mini with Audirvana make it all worth it. I play Peter Gabriel‘s Shaking the Tree and I sit in amazement on just how good it sounds. It really sounds like he’s in my living room. My Rotel RB-1090 Amp and my B & W 801 Matrix speakers really transform the music. Sorry to ramble on! Let me know your review on Nilsson! 😃

Back