Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced

1618089888617.jpeg

Radka Toneff/Steve Dobrogosz's REMARKABLE FAIRYTALES [ODIN/Stereo SACD/MQA encoded CD portion] One of Norway's best selling Jazz albums exquisitely captured in hi res

1536602738_folder.jpg
Radka Toneff, Steve Dobrogosz - Fairytales (1982) [2017 SACD]

Jerry Garcia and Friends LIVE AT KEYSTONE, Volume I [Fantasy/Stereo SACD/Super Bit Mapping] Friends include Merl Saunders, piano, Dave Grisman, mandolin, John Kahn, bass and Bill Vitt, drums. Recorded in 1973 at the Keystone in Berkeley, California.

See the source image

Jerry Garcia and Friends LIVE AT KEYSTONE, Volume I [Fantasy/Stereo SACD/Super Bit Mapping] Friends include Merl Saunders, piano, Dave Grisman, mandolin, John Kahn, bass and Bill Vitt, drums. Recorded in 1973 at the Keystone in Berkeley, California.

See the source image

Wow.
Never heard of this disc before.
Which means I must now doggedly pursue a copy

Last edited:
Just got this one in the mail today.....

Rob Wasserman - Duets

View attachment 66042 View attachment 66043

I had to hunt down this SACD after hearing the wonderful recording of Ballad of the Runaway Horse by Jennifer Warnes...

IMO, this original ALL DDD recording is a masterpiece. I had the amazing RBCD but this AP Stereo SACD remaster betters it significantly. Great REFERENCE disc.

Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky (1982 Arista Records)

I’m going to take my Blu-ray, HDAD and brand new SACD copy (via PCM) and make a comparison with the first 3 tracks on each. All three are taken directly from the original analog master.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
And, the winner is...

There really isn’t one. All three sound great but for different reasons.

1) HDAD - The sound on all 3 tracks were the smoothest sounding of all three discs. It felt like I was sitting in the control room listening right to the Master Tape.

2) Blu-ray - Very close in sound to the HDAD but with a bit more brightness and boosted midrange. Both this disc and the HDAD had quite a bit of low end presense.

3) SACD - This is where it gets interesting. This disc had the least amount of low end presence but what it excelled at, in comparison to the other two discs, was separation and soundstage. I could hear vocals and instruments like I’ve never heard them before. Clear and distinct. Just listen to the female background vocals on Children Of The Moon and see (hear) what I mean.

If I had to pick a winner, it would be the SACD, followed by the Classic Records HDAD.

David Ian Jackson - Body And Soul (1984 A&M Records)

(2020) Intervention Records

This disc sounds incredible!

View attachment 66209

I like the sound of it too. However, I did notice when I ripped the RBCD layer that there was some clipping. I'm not able to rip the SACD layer so I'm not sure if that was affected as well.

Back