Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HARDLY audiophile, Rick. Thin and weak might still be an apt term. NO bass! I'm sure Universal Japan did what they could with the masters but IMO, a poor choice for UMG to 'show off' the SHM~SACD format. And hardly worth the $60 [ouch!] I initially paid for it.

Probably BEST PLAYED during a crackling thundestorm with deep deep bass to compliment Blackmore's manic musicianship!⚡

See the source image

And Ronnie's epic voice :rocks

Oscar Peterson ~ Volume IV MY FAVORITE INSTRUMENT [MPS/VERVE/STEREO SACD]

See the source image

In 1968, Oscar Peterson was invited to the private home of MPS Records Owner/Producer Hans Georg Brunner~Schwer to record a series of concerts for a select group of friends which over time became a series of 6 Volumes of Peterson's solo piano/trio recordings.

Considered by many to be one of Jazz's most versatile piano virtuosos, these recordings are testament to Oscar's brilliant improvisional skills!

Last edited:
Oscar Peterson ~ Volume IV MY FAVORITE INSTRUMENT [MPS/VERVE/STEREO SACD]

See the source image

In 1968, Oscar Peterson was invited to the private home of MPS Records Owner/Producer Hans Georg Brunner~Schwer to record a series of concerts for a select group of friends which over time became a series of 6 Volumes of Peterson's solo piano/trio recordings.

Considered by many to be one of Jazz's most versatile piano virtuosos, these recordings are testament to Oscar's brilliant improvisional skills!

I’m “Liking” this one out of envy, it’s the only Exclusively For My Friends SACDs I don’t have (yet),

I have this on a Classic Gold CD. Do I need the SACD? Will buck up if it’s a noticeable improvement

As I don't have the DCC 24K Gold RBCD for comparison, Rang, tough to make that call. In the description @ Acoustic Sounds, the Stereo SACD was derived from a PCM copy of the original master tapes [as was AP's Vinyl copy]. On my system the SACD sounds fantastic. But I'm sure your DCC Gold CD might be from the original analogue masters so there would be no DSD conversion from AP's PCM copy!

Hmmmm!

If you want a real slice of Americana, this is an essential album [Rounder Records/Stereo SACD]

R-9989753-1489765615-4115.jpeg.jpg

The late Alan Lomax, like his father John A. Lomax before him, was one of Americas most influential and tireless scholars and chroniclers of folk and ethnic music. Yet Lomax also enthusiastically embraced rock n roll as it became a powerful cultural force in the 1950s. He also had a life-long fascination with the evolution of music performances and how particular songs were adapted from one style or era to the next.

This intriguing 22-song collection was culled from the hundreds of grassroots recordings that Lomax, who died in 2002 at 87, collected from the early 1930s, onward. The common thread is that they have all found their way, in one form or another, into the lexicon of modern rock and pop music. Cuts like Leadbellys 1934 rendition of "Midnight Special," Woody Guthries 1940 recording of an old slave lament called "Goin Down The Road Feelin Bad," the Cleveland Simmons Groups 1935 version of "Sloop John B," the Duke of Irons 1946 calypso version of "Ugly Woman," and Georgia Turners 1937 "House Of The Rising Sun" offer vivid glimpses at how great songs evolve with changing times and changing tastes, as they are passed from one generation of musicians to the next. --Bob Allen

Last edited:
HARDLY audiophile, Rick. Thin and weak might still be an apt term. NO bass! I'm sure Universal Japan did what they could with the masters but IMO, a poor choice for UMG to 'show off' the SHM~SACD format. And hardly worth the $60 [ouch!] I initially paid for it.

Probably BEST PLAYED during a crackling thunderstorm with deep deep bass to compliment Rainbow's manic musicianship!⚡
But I will say, Ronnie James Dio's vocals on Track #8 "Rainbow Eyes" sounds sensational ...... but it's a ballad!

See the source image
One of my favorite albums, and every version I’ve heard sounds lame. Too bad...

Back