Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jimi Hendrix ARE YOU EXPERIENCED [SONY LEGACY/AP Stereo/Mono SACD] Thought I'd dig this disc out of the pile and give it a spin after waiting gawd knows how long for Analogue Productions to FINALLY release it. Played Loudly it sounds GREAT! Hendrix producer Eddie Kramer promised us more Hendrix in Surround. IMO, this would be a GREAT candidate!

See the source image
Wondering if this sounds better than an early CD release?
The master tape must be pretty degraded after all these years....

View attachment 69615

Sounds very good on my system.

I believe this album was recorded 4 track but I could be mistaken! Has a rawness that I like .... not meant to be 'audiophile!' Wonder what original recording engineer Eddie Kramer could accomplish if he attempted a SURROUND REMIX and released it as a 192/24 BD~A??????

I believe this album was recorded 4 track but I could be mistaken! Has a rawness that I like .... not meant to be 'audiophile!'
I have nothing to compare the SACD to since I’ve never purchase a copy on CD.

Interesting comments on the SACD at Acoustic Sounds. You either like the sound quality, or don’t.

I have nothing to compare the SACD to since I’ve never purchase a copy on CD.

Interesting comments on the SACD at Acoustic Sounds. You either like the sound quality, or don’t.

Perp, at over 80 minutes in duration, glad AP gave us both the MONO and Stereo SACD Remasters. I did purchase the recent SONY 2 disc Remix [with DVD] but have yet to do a comparison.

As stated, those master tapes have been OVERUTILIZED over the years and with oxide flaking, etc, what can one REASONABLY expect?

Bob James ONE [CTI Records/2021 hybrid Stereo SACD Remaster by EVOSOUND]

I will [again] shout it from the rafters of QQ Forum. IMO, Hong Kong's EVOSOUND is releasing absolutely astounding SACD and MQA~CD remasters not only at reasonable prices but in IMPECCABLE sonics.

Yes, EVOSOUND did 'promote' ONE as a 5.1 multichannel SACD but after the initial disappointment subsided, and it has, the sonics on this hybrid SACD is SENSATIONAL. Another faux pas: according to the blurbs, ONE was remastered from digital files but in the disc's liner notes it does state REMASTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL ANALOGUE MASTERS with photos of the original CTI Scotch Brand analogue master tapes!

Not to mention the elegant packaging: A Super Audio CD case in a sturdy slipcase. And really cool: When I inserted the disc in my Marantz SA11s2 SACD player, it read the metadata for each track as 2021 remaster. Nice touch.

518tkf%2B-ecS.jpg

Eh... I'm not sure I'd call it "spectacular." It's not bad, but it's pretty dynamically compressed.

NOT on my system. Am playing it through my tank like Marantz SA11S2 SACD Player DSD balanced out out into my all analogue Parasound P7 pre amp into my B&W 802 Nautilus speakers and at high volume no evidence of compression.

IMG_0033.JPG

Turiya Alice Coltrane & Devadip Carlos Santana - Illuminations

About what I expected, kind of weird and spacey.
It's OK, Angel of Sunlight is a good listen.
Soundstage nice and wide, separation decent, not much bottom end though.
A recording of the era

Back