Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Goona
IMO - Well mastered would mean higher dynamic range with minor or no EQ tinkering.
The original vinyl/CD had a DR of 13-14

Here is a nice gold CD
https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/19539
Here is the Blu-ray
https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/163277
Dynamics aren't everything. Tonality is arguably more important, to a point.
thats the dts mix never listen to that
It will be exactly the same as the LPCM, if decoded correctly.

73EAB23B-E98C-441E-BA4F-2F2D69F9D3C2.jpeg
Don Sebesky - Giant Box

Didn’t know what to expect with all these people involved. What a great, (and great sounding in stereo), album.
One of my favourite DV releases.

View attachment 71736
Chicago Transit Authority

Greatest debut album ever IMHO.
Heck, probably top 10 period in my books.
This is my third copy (I have the two disc fat boy C2K-8, and on Bluray as part of the Quadio set).
They all have their merits.
This one definitely the warmest.
Nicest listen of the three me thinks
I agree with you. I recently A/B'd this and the Blu-Ray, and thought this was slightly better in stereo.

View attachment 71736

This is my third copy (I have the two disc fat boy C2K-8, and on Bluray as part of the Quadio set).

Totally agree about the accolades. Awesome album. Recently listened to the Japan SHM version ( I must have like 5 or more different versions of this album )
and have to say...................hmmmm dat shm , me likey a lot !!!!

View attachment 71736

It’s a phenomenal album to be sure and I can’t argue with your subjective appreciation but, for me, it’s at best a tie for best debut album with Led Zeppelin. Totally different genres, to be sure.

“Best debut album” would make for a great thread.

It’s a phenomenal album to be sure and I can’t argue with your subjective appreciation but, for me, it’s at best a tie for best debut album with Led Zeppelin. Totally different genres, to be sure.

That would be an interesting thread…of course it’s all subjective (beauty is in the ear of the beholder👂🏼!) but I would think the first Boston album should be in the ring…pretty amazing for a debut 👍🏼

Good point about Zeppelin.
Both albums changed music forever

Genesis The Last Domino ?
It is no longer a question and the question mark can be removed. This is indeed the last hurrah. The Last Domino. Confirmed by the band.
Think of their career, their variety in music, their live shows and their now expensive 5.1 SACD boxsets ! We can sit here and argue that Gabriel was better,
Phil top 40'd the band ......yada yada yada blah blah blah. Bottom line - they are an incredible band with some incredible music
They are on tour in Europe right now and North America soon. And then Thats All.

View attachment 71794

IMG_0053.JPG
Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding

The stereo MoFi.
An improvement over the Sony SACD from the box set.
Warm, excellent definition on the bass guitar, lifelike vocals.
The harmonica a bit piercing (isn't it always?) but not gratingly so.
After 60 years on this planet I'm starting to like Dylan

I had all but given up on stereo-only SACD titles…to my ear, most are only marginal improvements, and quite frankly, boring vs. a good multichannel release (though I understand beauty is in the ear of the beholder…)
But…Intervention Records had a sale recently and I picked this title up…and listened to it about 5 times tonight. Wow…if they all sounded this good, I might be back in the game!
https://www.interventionrecords.com/records/gilded-palace-sin-cdsacd/

Last edited:
Back