Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for this...is Relaxin' in stereo?

No, it is in mono. It is '57 HIGH FIDELITY mono. The fidelity is good for '57. Music is nothing short of spectacular.

This had later releases on SACD in Japan and by AP. I have no experience with either of those. I own two other copies: JVC Japan CD and Chronicle Complete Prestige '51-'56 8 CD box. Box HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Disclaimer: I caught Miles live 6 times and had tix for a seventh, which was canceled. And it was to be on April 1st! I was at a show at the Petrillo Bandshell, Chicago which was broadcast on FM.

Worthpoint Relaxin' listing depicting silver sticker saying only "HYBRID:"

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/relaxin-miles-davis-quintet-hybrid-166665226

Chronicle Complete Prestige '51-'56 8 CD. Many alt takes and studio chatter.:

https://www.discogs.com/release/511...cle-The-Complete-Prestige-Recordings-19511956

Dire Straits - Self-Titled

1641794262330.jpeg

According to the comments over at HRAudio.net, the multi~CH SACD [going for BIG bucks] was NO BIG DEAL in the surround department. Rest assured, this IS the version to get, Ricky!

I can confirm that. I have both: La Luna & Eden and the multichannel layer is disappointing, the rear channels are just a reverb of the corresponding front channels. I would not recommend spend the eyes or kidneys for them 😬. Go for the stereo HK version! 😉

24FBB8DC-6C75-4FFA-84E8-65B1396CBEC2.jpeg
Paul Simon -
Still Crazy After All These Years

Some decent songs here especially the upbeat ones but don’t really get why it’s so revered. Good, not great, album IMHO.
It gets great reviews for sound. I think it’s fine but it didn’t knock my socks completely off.

2AAE21D2-7BED-47BA-B453-0EB3B302CF10.jpeg
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Nuthin’ Fancy

An apt title for this their 3rd album.
Other than Saturday Night Special there isn’t anything on this record that jumps out.
Not terrible but sounds like they were struggling to come up with decent material.

Last edited:
4D7FAC1A-F5C6-46D1-8C0D-2BE1D32D7F9A.jpeg
The Flying Burrito Brothers -
Burrito Deluxe

Can’t say I’m a big fan of this one, nothing spectacular here.
The sound doesn’t help either.
TGPOS, though lean, is clearer.
This album is muddy and grainy.
And the cover is so bad it’s funny :)

Last edited:
Back