Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B99A98CF-8539-4896-AC8D-8007E1F337DD.jpeg
Eagles - Eagles

Great album and sound.
Have nothing else to compare to (other than the 3 tracks that appear on Greatest Hits) but this one is a winner in my books.

8DD1688E-014A-45B6-8C0D-30BAD0DD549F.jpeg
Matthew Sweet - Altered Beast

Mixed feelings about this SACD.
Plenty of good songs (including the bonus tracks) and a big supporter of Intervention Records.
But I listen to the sound quality of this recording and think “yikes”.
Didn’t realize Richard Dashut (of Fleetwood Mac fame) was involved in the production, surprising.

35300FB0-BD30-4DFA-A55D-9722620B47E7.jpeg
Earth, Wind & Fire -
Spirit & That’s the Way of the World

Debated getting this because I already have the MoFi SACD of TTWOTW.
Haven’t compared the two (yet) and suspect the MoFi sounds better based on what I hear from this DV.
But no matter, Spirit on its own is worth the price of admission. Great album and wonderful sound in stereo.

I’m really tempted by those Dire Straits SACDs.
How do they rank vs other options?
The Brothers In Arms SACD is excellent. I rank it above the original WB U.S. CD mastering, but I haven't heard the original European Vertigo master, so I can't make that comparison. I haven't listened to the others yet. I will say that although not as dynamic as the original digital masters, Bob Ludwig's 1996 CD remasters sound mighty fine to me. These were released in Europe on Vertigo in '96 and on WB in the U.S. in 2000 (in the "Warner Remasters"-branded series). Mark Knopfler, stickler as he is for sound quality, must like Bob's masters as they are still what is available on streaming and were recently repressed on CD.

They were on Vertigo here in Canada so pretty sure my redbook BIA, pressed in West Germany, is the original master.
Guess the only way to know for sure is buy the SACD and compare.
Then there’s the 20th Anniversary SACD with multi channel but that’s a whole other rabbit hole.

2F61AE49-1D10-4845-BA28-717A7D3B6362.jpeg
Keb’ Mo’

I know this guy is highly acclaimed but to be honest I’m a bit underwhelmed by this disc.
The sound is fine as is the music & performance but no wow factor here at all, IMO

Reactions: GOS
Back