Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally bit the bullet and dropped over $100 on the SACD "Best of Bread." And it's worth it.
Best of Bread.jpg

Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, Paco DeLucia SATURDAY NIGHT IN SAN FRANCISCO {Columbia Records/IMPEX Stereo SACD remaster] A meticulous wholly satisfying IMPEX remaster from the original Columbia Records analogue masters!

Mine is on its it way from amazon.com (who do let me make pre-orders unlike .co.uk!). I wonder why they didn't mix it as 3 channel with a guitarist in Left, Centre, Right, they had the multis?

Mine is on its it way from amazon.com (who do let me make pre-orders unlike .co.uk!). I wonder why they didn't mix it as 3 channel with a guitarist in Left, Centre, Right, they had the multis?
Good question, Dunc! IMPEX Records did release the new Patricia Barber CLIQUE in multi~CH SACD but SONY probably only gave them the Stereo masters. BTW, their first SACD was stereo only as well but if your speakers are properly imaged, you should have NO problem discerning the three guitarists coming out of left right and PHANTOM center!

https://elusivedisc.com/patricia-barber-clique-hybrid-multi-channel-stereo-sacd/

I am doing a first time experiment using my digital player the Luxman D-03X.
The Luxman has a ASIO Digital player that is a download from the Luxman site. I purchased the Luxman for the purpose of playing MQA discs. The downloadable player on my PC can play all including DSD files.
It can read files by adding a file from wherever you have them stored, in my case a NAS. I decided to read this Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs MOFI directly to the Luxman. I ususally play via JRiver>Pre/Pro>stereo preamp>stereo amp.
This way now Luxman digital player>stereo pre amp>stereo amp. I elimaneted one piece the Pre/Pro.
Is it night and day difference, no. Is it a little different, hard to say. It may be the JRiver player, even with the extra piece in the chain is of higher quality than the Luxman digital player? In the end it is a wash for me. The good news is both ways of playing stereo are superb with the equipment I have.
One of my favorite albums of all time is Derek And The Dominoes-In Concert. I know MOFI made an LP, I don't think they ever made a SACD?
R-10233281-1493834570-4970.jpg

Be sure to check out Blues thread in QQ Music 🎶 Matters forum. 😞 Sorry, no link. On my phone and the run.

Junior Wells has many great Dolby Surround CD's on Telarc. Start with Come on In This House on SACD 5.1 & DTS CD. One of his best!

A late friend of mine owned Delmark records and Jazz Record Mart in Chicago. Bob Koester was one of the most knowledgeable people I ever met regarding jazz and blues. A curmudgeon. Believe he produced Hoodoo Man, as well.

Is their website the only place to buy these Craft Recordings SACDs?
Sometimes, they are indeed specified as "Craft Exclusives," such as this SACD of Bill Evans' You Must Believe In Spring. I can't recall if that's true of all their SACDs, or only some. (Though, curiously, it's also available from the Bill Evans webstore, where it is also listed as a "Craft Exclusive." I guess artist stores are an exception.)

Last edited:
Coming from CRAFT RECORDINGS [hybrid Stereo SACD] which includes three bonus tracks

Thumbnail for You Must Believe In Spring (Hybrid SACD - Craft Exclusive)

https://billevansofficial.com/products/bill-evans-you-must-believe-in-spring-sacd-craft-exclusive/
It slipped my mind that a scant few years ago, Warner Japan released this title as a superbly remastered Stereo SHM~SACD [which I DO own]

R.fc83034eada7dd2af556f092805aa472

What is ripe for a remastered Stereo SACD release is Evans' magnificent QUINTESSENCE with his remarkable rendition of "A Child Is Born:"

See the source image

Last edited:
View attachment 82159
This one’s great, really enjoyed it, too bad it took me so long to get around to buying it.
Be sure to check out Blues thread in QQ Music 🎶 Matters forum. 😞 Sorry, no link. On my phone and the run.

Junior Wells has many great Dolby Surround CD's on Telarc. Start with Come on In This House on SACD 5.1 & DTS CD. One of his best!

A late friend of mine owned Delmark records and Jazz Record Mart in Chicago. Bob Koester was one of the most knowledgeable people I ever met regarding jazz and blues. A curmudgeon. Believe he produced Hoodoo Man, as well.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ead-surround-stereo-mono-anything-goes.29566/

I am doing a first time experiment using my digital player the Luxman D-03X.
The Luxman has a ASIO Digital player that is a download from the Luxman site. I purchased the Luxman for the purpose of playing MQA discs. The downloadable player on my PC can play all including DSD files.
It can read files by adding a file from wherever you have them stored, in my case a NAS. I decided to read this Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs MOFI directly to the Luxman. I ususally play via JRiver>Pre/Pro>stereo preamp>stereo amp.
This way now Luxman digital player>stereo pre amp>stereo amp. I elimaneted one piece the Pre/Pro.
Is it night and day difference, no. Is it a little different, hard to say. It may be the JRiver player, even with the extra piece in the chain is of higher quality than the Luxman digital player? In the end it is a wash for me. The good news is both ways of playing stereo are superb with the equipment I have.
One of my favorite albums of all time is Derek And The Dominoes-In Concert. I know MOFI made an LP, I don't think they ever made a SACD?
View attachment 82064
Markie, since you are a real Layla 'fanboy' are you aware Universal Japan has released a UHQ MQA encoded version which would probably sound stunning on your Luxman D~03X player, when decoded/unfolded:

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-40176

Back