Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Markie, since you are a real Layla 'fanboy' are you aware Universal Japan has released a UHQ MQA encoded version which would probably sound stunning on your Luxman D~03X player, when decoded/unfolded:

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-40176
I have the MOFI SACD which I will stick with and I can play that on the Luxman also.
I did an experiment a few days ago with the Leon Russell-Leon Russell.
1. The little Japanese box SHM SACD and the new MQA of the same title.
To my joy I found them sounding identical.
So from a price point it verifies my strategy when buying MQA, if they have already been released in Japan as an SACD, SHM SACD, or I guess any SACD, MOFI included I will not buy an MQA copy if I already have it.
That said, game on with MQA titles that have not been released in any form of SACD or I don't have..
And Ralphie, you have said many times, and for the record I want to agree with you, an MQA disc even without the ability to unfold the MQA still sounds better than a RBCD most of the time. Rubellan Remasters seem to be good, but they don't seem to happy over there with the handling of there orders.
Unless, you are able to find the very early 1990's first run version of a particular release.
Many times when a CD is released, say a 2021 remaster/remix version, I will see if any early 1990's versions are still available. They usually cost half the price of a new version and first generation CD's for the most part always sound better as Loudness Compression hadn't creeped in yet.

40EF2902-D78A-4016-B0B7-06631F782369.jpeg

Oscar Peterson Trio - We Get Requests

Not a big fan of piano jazz in general but Oscar’s a whole different story. He’s wonderful here and never tire of hearing Ray Brown on bass. This Analogue Productions SACD is a gem.

6400962E-00CA-41AF-969D-E1E79D25A5B7.jpeg

Eagles - On the Border

Decent album, knew the hits and a couple of tracks that got some airplay. Five songs I’d never heard before, of those only the title track is mildly interesting, the rest are filler IMO.
Sounds OK, not as bad as as some of the reviews say.
Bass definition is good but will admit the electric guitars and backing vocals are a bit thin and harsh.

Purchased from MOFI. Richard Thompson-Rumor And Sigh, Hybrid SACD MOFI #971. He kind of sounds like Warren Zevon. Ordered some stuff from MOFI and decided to get this, nice quality recording. Music is good, but nothing jumps out.
View attachment 82860

Mark
this album is available in DVD Audio 5.1 and its pretty damn awesome !

Purchased from MOFI. Richard Thompson-Rumor And Sigh, Hybrid SACD MOFI #971. He kind of sounds like Warren Zevon. Ordered some stuff from MOFI and decided to get this, nice quality recording. Music is good, but nothing jumps out.
View attachment 82860
The two artists do share a similarity in the sound of their voices and no one would ever accuse either of them of being too optimistic LOL! It wouldn’t, however, take a very deep dive into their respective catalogs to see just how different their artistic signatures are. If you haven’t already, you should check out a performance of “1952 Vincent Black Lightning” on YouTube. Of note, there isn’t much of his catalog available in surround.

Back