Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DA7F2CDD-3B15-4737-84C2-CE10FF848478.jpeg

Wes Montgomery -
The Incredible Jazz Guitar of

Good record, really swings

Last edited:
1663454232496.jpeg

I’m playing this for a second time. I must’ve had wax in my ears when I played it for the first time the other night. MoFi likes to really boost the bass on their releases. This makes the title track sound very muddy. Of all the songs on the album, Too Many Hands sounds the brightest on the top end and not in a good way. Just to be sure what I was hearing, I went directly out of my oppo 205 via balanced out into my active speakers. The rest of the songs sound okay. I have a feeling that this album wasn’t a very good recording to begin with. I didn’t purchase the first three Eagles MoFi releases because I feel there’s more filler than substance on those albums. If I had to choose one out of the first three, On The Border is the better album.

View attachment 83594

I’m playing this for a second time. I must’ve had wax in my ears when I played it for the first time the other night. MoFi likes to really boost the bass on their releases. This makes the title track sound very muddy. Of all the songs on the album, Too Many Hands sounds the brightest on the top end and not in a good way. Just to be sure what I was hearing, I went directly out of my oppo 205 via balanced out into my active speakers. The rest of the songs sound okay. I have a feeling that this album wasn’t a very good recording to begin with. I didn’t purchase the first three Eagles MoFi releases because I feel there’s more filler than substance on those albums. If I had to choose one out of the first three, On The Border is the better album.
IMO, the first two MoFi Stereo Remasters of the EAGLES were killer....... even cbmmm3 agrees. I repeat, KILLER ...NOT FILLER!

But I suppose ... to each his own!

I just got solicited for this today. Hubby asked if I wanted it, knowing I'm a Babs completist and SACD nut. Not sure. I already have an RBCD which I found in a Broadway/Soundtrack store in Manhattan in the 90's. I believed it was legit, since it may predate her CBS contract. Perhaps it is not.

Live recording, kind of echoey, but a great performance for sure. Cabaret Babs. Still on the fence.

I just got solicited for this today. Hubby asked if I wanted it, knowing I'm a Babs completist and SACD nut. Not sure. I already have an RBCD which I found in a Broadway/Soundtrack store in Manhattan in the 90's. I believed it was legit, since it may predate her CBS contract. Perhaps it is not.

Live recording, kind of echoey, but a great performance for sure. Cabaret Babs. Still on the fence.
Since Babs herself was one of the producers of this upcoming Stereo SACD from IMPEX [and BTW, Roy Halee was one of the recordinjg engineers on this project] wonder if BABS, who owns ALL her masters, will entrust IMPEX to release all her Stereo and multi~CH Columbia recordings at a future date on SACD?

A distinct possibility!

QLinda, I do believe this is the DEBUT release of LIVE AT THE BON SOIR and has never been commercially available before!

E24740D7-51BF-47CD-81CD-5A9E6688DC06.jpeg

Ella Fitzgerald - Like Someone In Love

Liked this way more than I expected to, not usually a fan of slow orchestrated ballads but this is sweet and smooth.
Love Stan Getz‘s solos sprinkled here and there. Once again, great sound on the AP SACD.
This disappeared from Acoustic Sounds website 2 days after I ordered, musta got the last copy or close to it.

Last edited:
4AF22C70-AC47-4BCA-B020-D27B6DB95696.jpeg

Bachman-Turner Overdrive & II

Love the music.
These guys were based here in Vancouver and hit it big just as I was really getting music as a young teenager.
Have to say though, the sound on this SACD is erratic. Blue Collar is rich & warm as usual but about half the tracks are disappointingly bright & fizzy.
Don’t know whether to blame the mastering or the recordings.
Nonetheless, happy DV made the effort and hope they do more BTO,

Last edited:
A82F0BAF-7E2E-49B7-B49D-F254E9D19AB8.jpeg

Camel - Rain Dances

Not much experience with Camel so bought this kinda blind.
I like it, some interesting music and nice sound.
Will try and and explore more of their albums.

Last edited:
View attachment 84331
Camel - Rain Dances

Not much experience with Camel so bought this kinda blind.
I like it, some interesting music and nice sound.
Will try and and explore more of their albums.
Of the early music get "Mirage" (not available on SACD), "Moonmadness" (SACD) which are my two favourites & "Snow Goose" (SACD), there is "Chameleon: The Best Of Camel" on SACD (which I have just got), still a great band to see live, although Andy Latimer is the only original member

Back