Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1669612220538.jpeg

Except for an 8-track of Off the Wall, I’ve never owned a Michael Jackson album until this one from MoFi.

I was certainly familiar with most of the singles, but never heard the whole album start to finish until tonight.

And then I got to the last song... The Lady in My Life. I would have sworn I’d heard that melody before, but not from this album.

Finally tracked it down... The Best of Stanley Jordan. It’s a really nice, jazz instrumental take on the song. I own the CD, but hadn’t listened to it in years.

Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 9.40.47 PM.png

1622066A-842E-4D68-94EA-9B672139207E.jpeg

Miles Davis - Nefertiti

Not one of my absolute favourite Miles albums, not helped by overly splashy cymbals which make for a somewhat fatiguing listen in places (title track), though pretty sure it’s better than the redbook CD I have.
Still, a nice album happy to add it to the collection.

Last edited:
2E76595D-4F75-4638-AF64-1D248CDED80E.jpeg

After more years than I’d care to say,
finally decided to crack open this SACD beauty, starting naturally with:

14DE040A-5024-4429-9FEB-7291A85A92C7.jpeg

Texas Flood

What can one say, this is a bleeping amazing album. Have the Sony SACD, no way it sounds as good as this Analogue Productions version.
Cannot believe this album is on the verge of turning 40.

View attachment 85947
After more years than I’d care to say,
finally decided to crack open this SACD beauty, starting naturally with:

View attachment 85948
Texas Flood

What can one say, this is a bleeping amazing album. Have the Sony SACD, no way it sounds as good as this Analogue Productions version.
Cannot believe this album is on the verge of turning 40.
I've got the MoFi SACDs (mastered by Shawn Britton) for all but In Step, and while they sound decent, I think they could sound better with a bit more EQ work. Had anyone heard both the MoFi and AP SACDs? How do they compare?

View attachment 85951
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn’t Stand the Weather

Another absurdly great record. Love the stop/start intro of the title track. Really nice sound on this AP SACD, probably better than the very good Legacy remaster.
My favorite SRV by far. Tin Pan Alley is an audiophile goodie. I have not heard a bad version of it in any format. Such a pure tone, simply recorded, no unnecessary effects at all. It's cliche to say it, but it's like you're in the room with him.

I've got the MoFi SACDs (mastered by Shawn Britton) for all but In Step, and while they sound decent, I think they could sound better with a bit more EQ work. Had anyone heard both the MoFi and AP SACDs? How do they compare?
Never heard any of the MoFi SRV’s.
Though I like the two APs I’ve played I do find them a bit bass heavy, especially CSTW.
Will play the other four over the next couple of nights.

I have both AP and MOFI, I tend to prefer the AP better.
A little more rough, not so bright and polished.

9710496D-363A-47A2-BBF1-01776A451376.jpeg

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Soul To Soul

This one adds some tasty keyboards. More covers than SRV originals. This was a really interesting listen because other than Look At Little Sister I didn’t know anything from this album. His guitar sound is a bit different; coarser maybe?Still, another winner from SRV and AP.

I have both AP and MOFI, I tend to prefer the AP better.
A little more rough, not so bright and polished.
I have the AP SRV box set as well and an original SONY Stereo SACD of Couldn't Stand The Weather and think the AP box set is magnificent. TOO much BASS, RANG, turn down your subs! NOTHING wrong with too much bass on my system.

I have the AP SRV box set as well and an original SONY Stereo SACD of Couldn't Stand The Weather and think the AP box set is magnificent. TOO much BASS, RANG, turn down your subs!
I said “a bit bass heavy”, not too much bass :)
Not a problem, just an observation.
No subs here though I’ve thought about it

View attachment 85971
Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Step

Some really tasty stuff here, Wall of Denial and especially Riviera Paradise stand out.
Like this album more than Soul To Soul, yet another knockout.
It was Riviera Paradise that got me into SRV. One of the most beautiful songs I’ve ever heard.

I’m still hoping we’ll one day get a legacy edition of this album like we did for a couple of the others.

Back