Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno, I bet the Van Halen discs will sell out fast as well. Sort of think I should go ahead and pre-order what I'm wanting on those. ARe you getting any of them Ralph?
Maybe a couple. A few years ago bought a bunch of the remastered RBCD VH titles from Amazon for cheap and they really sound superb.

Maybe a couple. A few years ago bought a bunch of the remastered RBCD VH titles from Amazon for cheap and they really sound superb.
Yeah, I won't buy them all as only a few are truly my favorites. I'll probably get, Van Halen, Van Halen 2, Women & Children and Fair Warning. Outside of that, if I only get 2, it will be W&C, Fair Warning.

Yeah, I won't buy them all as only a few are truly my favorites. I'll probably get, Van Halen, Van Halen 2, Women & Children and Fair Warning. Outside of that, if I only get 2, it will be W&C, Fair Warning.
Surprised none of the VH titles are being remixed into ATMOS ... or are they? Stay tuned!

• Love
Reactions: GOS
Because of this Van Halen conversation, I just made a call to MusicDirect. Over a year ago I preordered all 6 titles at once. I had always been slightly concerned how they would deal with that when the albums may be released one and at a time or, like the Eagles, two at a time.

Take this news with a grain of salt... I was told just now that VH 1 (SACD) would be released this summer. (Yeah... that’s a 3-month window. Didn’t feel the need to keep pressing for a specific month.) So not two at a time. Could that change? Sure.

What was of relevance to me was my 6-pack preorder. That would have been free shipping. But one at a time means not free shipping and they’d have to get in touch to see if I wanted to ship one at a time. Or they’d wait until two were available to hit the $50 threshold for free shipping. But who knows when the second one is coming? I’d prefer not to chance it.

So I cancelled my pre-order and will now pre-order one at a time. Will I pay more? Yup. Do I want to risk missing these because of a likely sell-out? Nope.

Because of this Van Halen conversation, I just made a call to MusicDirect. Over a year ago I preordered all 6 titles at once. I had always been slightly concerned how they would deal with that when the albums may be released one and at a time or, like the Eagles, two at a time.

Take this news with a grain of salt... I was told just now that VH 1 (SACD) would be released this summer. (Yeah... that’s a 3-month window. Didn’t feel the need to keep pressing for a specific month.) So not two at a time. Could that change? Sure.

What was of relevance to me was my 6-pack preorder. That would have been free shipping. But one at a time means not free shipping and they’d have to get in touch to see if I wanted to ship one at a time. Or they’d wait until two were available to hit the $50 threshold for free shipping. But who knows when the second one is coming? I’d prefer not to chance it.

So I cancelled my pre-order and will now pre-order one at a time. Will I pay more? Yup. Do I want to risk missing these because of a likely sell-out? Nope.
I only ordered DIRECT from MoFi once and their s/h procedure is BS ...... Elusive disc recently pulled that on me. Placed a big order and one title was a B/O ...... so they shipped the in stock items for free [over $99] and when the B/O SACD arrived they held it up insisting I pay additional s/h for the previously B/O SACD!

And between MoFi and Analogue Productions, I don't know which one is worse! They announce titles and it takes sometimes YEARS before they're actually released and at between $30~35 per disc, you'd think they could include at the very least free s/h.

Makes one appreciate Dutton Vocalion EVEN MORE. They only announce titles when actually available and as we all know ... their prices cannot be beat!

And between MoFi and Analogue Productions, I don't know which one is worse!
Right now my vote goes to AP as we get close to the 3rd anniversary of my Lightnin’ Hopkins Soul Blues pre-order.

I do grow weary of the long period between pre-order and shipping. And I agree that the DV method of, “announce it today, ship it today” is much appreciated.

Right now my vote goes to AP as we get close to the 3rd anniversary of my Lightnin’ Hopkins Soul Blues pre-order.

I do grow weary of the long period between pre-order and shipping. And I agree that the DV method of, “announce it today, ship it today” is much appreciated.
Not to mention AP's long ago announced Stereo SACD pre order for Steppenwolf's Greatest Hits ...... so what did 4~ears do....out of desperation ordered the FANTASTIC UHQ MQA encoded CD of Steppenwolf: 16 Greatest Hits which BTW, includes 5 more tracks than the AP SACD and when decoded yields FULL 24 bit resolution...which I was able to obtain from ImportCD for under 20 bucks!

So there AP .......there's more than one way to skin a 🐱

Last edited:
I've listened to SACD perhaps 3-4 times. Sounds very good. Admittedly, I haven't a/b'ed it to my BMG CD club issue. Remember them?

If you're a fan, there are 2 HK SACD exclusive (not on Japan SACD) 12" Skylark mixes: Shout & Everybody Wants.

Bought this MoFi disc on a whim some weeks back. Finally listening to it now. I’ve been familiar with the cover for ages, but have never heard the album in full.

b86287281c72d7fda842db23f9954d1a--marshalls-rockabilly.jpg

Haha, I think I preordered that Lightnin Hopkins 10 years ago.

What was of relevance to me was my 6-pack preorder. That would have been free shipping.
Yeah, I think MOFI many times does a sneaky thing, they will release one title today and then another next week, so if you want to be proactive and get your order in you have to pay two shipping costs.
CDJapan on the other hand if you order something today and it won't be released for a month, then you find something that is available today, they will let you piggy back onto an existing order so you can save on shipping.
I think the worst thing Acoustic Sounds did was discontinue there music download section, they really had a lot of good quality DSD stereo recordings. But they decided to go all into vinyl.

But...how is the fidelity?
Ha! That’s probably a better answer than one I can give. I’m doing some client work on the computer today so I just had it on partially as background music.

Song-wise, I found it really enjoyable even not giving it my full attention.

Judging fidelity... (sigh) I kind of suck at that. I feel my ears are still in good shape, but I’m in awe of the people here who can pick things apart and articulate what’s happening with a mix.

I can only say I enjoyed it (to the degree I could pay attention) and glad I took a chance on it.

So, yeah... let’s go with “mobile.”

Judging fidelity... (sigh) I kind of suck at that. I feel my ears are still in good shape, but I’m in awe of the people here who can pick things apart and articulate what’s happening with a mix.
You are probably really good at judging the music you listen to.

I have a very strong opinion that while participating in music listening audio forums on the internet, that it is almost cool to say this sounds terrible and that sounds terrible, almost like saying I am a real audiophile because I can tell everything that doesn't sound good.
Certainly not my style.

Haha, I think I preordered that Lightnin Hopkins 10 years ago.
Guess I don't feel so bad. I've only had mine on order for 7-8 years. OK, enough whining.

Back to SACD spins (2ch & mono):

Retrospective - Herman's Hermits
Speak Low - Hank Jones/Great Jazz Trio Japan CD
Night Passage - Weather Report Jaco!
Zombies Greatest SH mastered
Young at Heart - Tony Williams Japan CD

Back