Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t have In Concert on SACD, just on CD and they only play “Puff..” from the Moving album. I think the SACDs of 1700 and In The Wind sound excellent. The SACD of their 1st album is very noisy… with a lot of low end rumble that sounds to me to be a stage floor. How does In Concert sound on SACD?
The first 3 PP&M albums have a very special place in my childhood and were the first group that I loved. They still hold up and are magic to me.
In Concert is excellent!

THE BYRDS GREATEST HITS [Sony Legacy/Single layer Stereo SACD] Contains 3 Bonus Tracks

The Byrds - Greatest Hits (1999, SACD) | Discogs

Brian Bromberg WOOD BASS [A440/King International hybrid Stereo SACD] Absolutely sensational with a remarkably tactile recording!

BRIAN BROMBERG-WOOD BASS-IMPORT SACD HYBRID I45 | eBay

Wood is Brian Bromberg's debut for the A440 Music Group and it is a very strong example of his extraordinary straight-ahead jazz skills as presented in three exciting formats. In addition to the six tracks he performs in a trio setting with drummer David Bromberg and pianist Randy Waldman, Brian Bromberg duets with Waldman on the inimitable "Days of Wine and Roses" and the beautiful tribute "Goodbye (For My Father)," which was previously released on You Know That Feeling. Two amazing solo performances -- "Come Together" and "Star Spangled Banner" -- add further credence to Bromberg's technical and creative virtuosity as one of the premier jazz bassists of his generation. This set is also remarkable because Brian Bromberg is playing the same upright acoustic bass -- a 300-year-old Matteo Guersam, crafted in Milan in the 18th century --- that he used for his professional debut with saxophone legend Stan Getz. Despite its age, the wood (hence the title) emanates rich, mellow sounds that perfectly complement such jazz gems as Miles Davis' "All Blues," Herbie Hancock's "Dolphin Dance," and Thelonious Monk's "Straight No Chaser." Bromberg's tapping method on "Come Together" provides clear and convincing evidence of his mastery of this technique, while his awesome pizzicato chops are burnin' on "Speak Low." Wood is a radical departure from Bromberg's world-renowned smooth jazz releases -- New Day, Magic Rain, BASSically Speaking, and You Know That Feeling -- but nevertheless showcases the exceptional bass techniques that garnered him critical acclaim as one of the 100 best bassists of the 20th century. A definite must have.

Last edited:
IMG_1750.jpeg

The Moody Blues -
To Our Children’s Children’s Children

Playing this now, for only the second time, to decide if I really need the new box set.
Definitely leaning towards a “No”.
A lot of this is better than I remember and sounds decent overall, but never been a fan of their echo/reverb sound so spending $100+ on the box set to play it once doesn’t make sense.
Despite this SACD series detractors it’s good enough for me.

Last edited:
Kermit Ruffins MONDAY NIGHT IN NEW ORLEANS [Top Music International/Stereo SACD/32 bit/192 kHz remastered] New Orleans native K. Ruffins, trumpet and vocals, shines on 12 diverse tracks

R.d6ee646dd9adeae5f6c93d448ce780e2

Last edited:
IMG_1781.jpeg

Getz/Gilberto

An appropriate day to spin this Analogue Productions SACD.
Classic for sure. The sound is as laid back as the music. Astrud is on the left side which I believe means this is the original/intended channel assignment before it apparently got reversed.
Getz’s sax sounds grainy but I think that’s normal.

Last edited:
BS&T II is in my 10 fave albums. also one of my most played. Bought 2ch LP as a new release. Gave that HEAVY ROTATION, although I had over 100 albums. I was 14 then. Never stopped giving it at least moderate rotation. Since it predated the Quad by 5 years, 2ch LP 1st press is my most played copy. Quad mix is great!

Bought this on 2ch LP, Q8, Super Disc 1/2 speed mastered LP, Super Disc 1/2 speed mastered dbx LP, Japan CD, expanded US CD, US Sony single layer 2ch SACD, MoFi 2ch SACD, AF 4.0 SACD and AP 4.0 SACD in Bloodlines 4 SACD box (also includes Child is Father, 3 (2ch) & 4 (2ch).

I also bought BS&T Greatest 2ch SACD, Q8, SQ LP, CD (singles versions), remastered CD (LP versions). Half are tracks from BS&T II.

Have caught BS&T several times live including 2x at Sands, Las Vegas, and Paramount, Aurora, IL. Still holding tix for David Clayton-Thomas. Concert was postponed in 2020, thanks to Covid. Still promising a reschedule date. We know the owner of the two venues, so no fear that we'll get it refunded. Hoping to keep same/better seats. Ditto for Johnny Rivers.

BS&T II is in my 10 fave albums. also one of my most played. Bought 2ch LP as a new release. Gave that HEAVY ROTATION, although I had over 100 albums. I was 14 then. Never stopped giving it at least moderate rotation. Since it predated the Quad by 5 years, 2ch LP 1st press is my most played copy. Quad mix is great!

Bought this on 2ch LP, Q8, Super Disc 1/2 speed mastered LP, Super Disc 1/2 speed mastered dbx LP, Japan CD, expanded US CD, US Sony single layer 2ch SACD, MoFi 2ch SACD, AF 4.0 SACD and AP 4.0 SACD in Bloodlines 4 SACD box (also includes Child is Father, 3 (2ch) & 4 (2ch).

I also bought BS&T Greatest 2ch SACD, Q8, SQ LP, CD (singles versions), remastered CD (LP versions). Half are tracks from BS&T II.

Have caught BS&T several times live including 2x at Sands, Las Vegas, and Paramount, Aurora, IL. Still holding tix for David Clayton-Thomas. Concert was postponed in 2020, thanks to Covid. Still promising a reschedule date. We know the owner of the two venues, so no fear that we'll get it refunded. Hoping to keep same/better seats. Ditto for Johnny Rivers.
You never cease to impress me, Linda!

IMG_1799.jpeg

George Wallington Quintet -
Jazz For the Carriage Trade

Bought this Analogue Productions Prestige Mono SACD never having heard of Wallington before, but I trust AP for sound and content.
And it was a wise buy, great album on both counts.

Back