Listening to Now In SACD Surround (or 3 Channel Stereo)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simon - I love those Living Stereo SACDs and snagged up a couple of dozen titles when they were cheap and plentiful (perhaps they still are?). Beyond the exceptional fidelity I'm fascinated by the performances which I find more adventurous than many contemporary interpretations. They also predate the practice of excessively editing together different takes to create the 'perfect' performance on record. So I hear the occasional clam, rhythmic or intonation issue as well as coughing and/or sneezing on the live audience recordings. But none of that detracts from my enjoyment. Rather it adds to the natural and authentic feel of the vintage performances for me.

The original RCA Living Stereo Remastered SACDs were transferred from the original analog tapes by the team at Soundmirror - the same engineers who are doing the "Fresh" series recordings of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra from Reference Recordings on Multichannel SACDs and Multichannel DSD Downloads. A talented group.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=pittsburgh,symphony&categoryID=4
https://referencerecordings.nativedsd.com/

I wonder how many people have heard "take five" or parts of it and never realized what they were listening to...what started out as an experiment turned into a turning point in jazz history....it's ironic that when it was first heard critics and the record company hated it...a year after it had been released it was released as a single and it caught fire and became the jazz standard it is today...I can't wait to hear this song that was recorded in 1959

007.jpg
008.jpg
009.jpg
010.jpg

I wonder how many people have heard "take five" or parts of it and never realized what they were listening to...what started out as an experiment turned into a turning point in jazz history....it's ironic that when it was first heard critics and the record company hated it...a year after it had been released it was released as a single and it caught fire and became the jazz standard it is today...I can't wait to hear this song that was recorded in 1959

View attachment 26423
View attachment 26424
View attachment 26425
View attachment 26426

Great sounding disc - with many thanks to Bernie Grundman. He did a great job on Jeff Buckley's Grace also...

Time Out is one of the greatest albums by anyone! I passed on this release, simply because I have the 5.1 SACD. The 5.1 mix is BS, since like Kind of Blue, it was created by setting up speakers in the same studio it was recorded in originally. The rears were created from the "hall effect" created during playback. On those discs, I prefer to listen to the 2ch layer!

Nice to see AP using the original LP cover and record label for this SACD.

For further exploration, check out the 2 CD/1 DVD Legacy Edition.

I had the pleasure of seeing/hearing Dave live at the Petrillo Band Shell in Grant Park, Chicago.

"I hear you're mad about Brubeck. I like your eyes and I like him, too." - Donald Fagen

Time Out is one of the greatest albums by anyone! I passed on this release, simply because I have the 5.1 SACD. The 5.1 mix is BS, since like Kind of Blue, it was created by setting up speakers in the same studio it was recorded in originally. The rears were created from the "hall effect" created during playback. On those discs, I prefer to listen to the 2ch layer!

Nice to see AP using the original LP cover and record label for this SACD.

For further exploration, check out the 2 CD/1 DVD Legacy Edition.

I had the pleasure of seeing/hearing Dave live at the Petrillo Band Shell in Grant Park, Chicago.

"I hear you're mad about Brubeck. I like your eyes and I like him, too." - Donald Fagen

Well, it has that same multi-channel layer on it, but the two-channel portions definitely sound better to my ears. I wanted an improvement over the single layer disc, and I feel that I got it. You should check it out...

Listening to Dave Brubeck-Time Out SACD....what a fine disc this is...great content and superb sound...hard to believe it's that old...great job by AP...the 3 channel really works on this material...

I did not want to pollute the Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone poll thread, but for anybody who has enjoyed that disc, here's a similar one that I recommend. Substitute the cello for a trumpet and you get an album of similar mood, in 5.1 of course! Sound clips can be found on iTunes.

Håkan Hardenberger - Both Sides, Now (SACD)

Tracks:

Ástor Piazzolla: Oblivión
Joni Mitchell: Both Sides Now
Richard Rodgers: My Funny Valentine
Saint-Preux: Andante pour trompette
Jan Lundgren: The Seagull
Kurt Weill: Speak Low
Michel Legrand: Sans Toi
Thomas Newman: Angels in America
Ennio Morricone: Gabriel's Oboe from "The Mission"
Nino Rota: Waltz and Love Theme from "The Godfather"
Rolf Wallin: Elegy

Haringkan%20Hardenberger%201_zpstknqoaea.jpg

Haringkan%20Hardenberger%202_zpsgzdmrp79.jpg

Could be.. that or the new T-shirt.. chicks can't resist that Cookie Monster effect..
(allegedly.. its been a while.. :eek: )

COOKIEEEEEEEEEEEEE.....!!!!!!

:smokin

CHICKS?????:yikes Adam Blue, how many chicks post on QQ save for QUAD LINDA...and she's a goddess???????? Unless YOU'RE NOT telling me something............?

Am currently spinning the wonderful Steve Wilson remix of Steve Hackett's Spectral Mornings. Simply lovely!

Am also on an Andrea Bocelli 'kick' today......'Sentimento' and 'Andrea' [Philips SACD 5.1].

what's the surround like on those Andrea Bocelli SACDs please Ralph?

'Andrea' is actually quite discrete while Sentimento with Lorin Maazel & the LSO is mostly ambient.

Both are quite lovely, IMO.

Am presently spinning Ludacris' Chicken 'n Beer which is a surround sound EXTRAVAGANZA!:banana: And who knew that my cat could break dance:kitty:

'Andrea' is actually quite discrete while Sentimento with Lorin Maazel & the LSO is mostly ambient.

Both are quite lovely, IMO.

Am presently spinning Ludacris' Chicken 'n Beer which is a surround sound EXTRAVAGANZA!:banana: And who knew that my cat could break dance:kitty:

Thanks for the info as always Ralph, very much appreciated :)

Listening to Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" 5.1. Haven't heard it in a couple of months, absolute quality from go to whoa in all departments.

I appreciate all the input, folks =)

I ended up going with a Sony BDP S6700. After reading a bunch of reviews about it, it looked like not only a solution to my SACD needs - but it can play pretty much everything that my kdLinks media player can play. So I may be able to remove that from my rack for some space.

It came in today and I did some simple testing and it performs very well. Waiting on my order of Elton's "Honky Chateau" SACD to arrive to give it a whirl...

Uh Oh Snood sees a fever coming on!!! Surround Sound fever that is!!!

Once you hear the Elton SACD, you are gonna be knee deep in the feeeeeeeeeever for more Surround!!!! :banana:

Back