Listening to Now In SACD Surround (or 3 Channel Stereo)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frankie sonic.jpg
In surround... "Welcome to the Pleasuredome" from Frankie Goes To Hollywood 'Rage Hard - The Sonic Collection'

Old news to almost everyone here, but this SACD is superb. I listen to music almost exclusively using Carver's sonic holography (and time delay), and the drum solos on both of these albums appear close enough to touch right in front of my listening chair, and the instruments are panned wide to the right and left and discretely located in space. A wonderful experience, and another example of how recordings from the 50's and 60's are somehow more alive than many of the newer recordings.
61RaFmoGkKL._SY400_.jpg

30BAD543-2756-4A36-8DB4-D6564181BD7E.jpeg
Poco - Cantamos & Seven

Two very different albums though released close together in 1974.
Oddly the later one, Cantamos, is first on this DV SACD.
Produced by the band it’s very country with thin bright sound.
Seven, produced by Jack Richardson, is more rock with nice warm sound, really good album.
So, the second half of this disc is great, the first not so much.

Got these in the mail last Friday.
So far I've listened to the BS&T and The Carmina Burana.

I never had New City by BS&T before so it's a new experience in quad for me.
I kinda like some of the tunes but I find David Clayton Thomas' vocals a bit on the low side. His vocals on the Blues Image cover song could of and should of been more prominent much like the original
"Ride Captain Ride"tune.OH WELL.

I'm not a big Classical buff , but I really like Orff's "Carmina Burana".
FWIW there are 2 additional quad albums with this SACD Threefor.

Anyway I'll have to dig into Michael Dutton 's quad mixes of the 2 James Galway albums ,....never before released in quad btw.
But I know James Galway had a Dolby Surround album and it may be one of these.
Beauty And The Beast music or Galway at the movies kinda rings a bell. He's a flautist and should be as good as Ian Anderson. 😅

Art Garfunkel, I kinda know what to expect ,so I'll be a happy quaddie listening to this SACD.

🤩
20220830_203258.jpg

That's not unusual.
Ha ha, yes, there are certain pieces that serve as a gateway to classical music for rock fans, and O Fortuna is certainly one of them. Along with, Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner, Beethoven's 5th, Pictures at an Exhibition, and Also Sprach Zarathustra, among others.

Ha ha, yes, there are certain pieces that serve as a gateway to classical music for rock fans, and O Fortuna is certainly one of them. Along with, Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner, Beethoven's 5th, Pictures at an Exhibition, and Also Sprach Zarathustra, among others.

Right , and I adore ELP'S version of "Fanfare For The Common Man" .

Azteca Quad SACD c/w Pyramid (2ch SACD) D-V 2 SACD
One of my favorite and most played Quads. Sort of Santana meets Tito Puente meets soul/funk. Huh? 16 pieces, perfect for Quad.

Hope to a/b s/t Quad SACD to SQ LP, 2ch SACD & CD layer to both GNP CD & Japan Blu-Spec CD. Don't have my Q8 any more, though it's my most played copy.

Pyramid 2ch SACD to Japan Blu-Spec CD and US LP.

Might be months before I do this , if ever. A future research project...

PXL_20221002_121228452.jpg

This was a huge WOW for me. The music is a solid "good." It's just guitars. It can get a little boring, actually. But the surround mix is spectacular! It's actually what keeps the music interesting. I mean, it's just guitars, right? So how exciting can it be? Well, you're sitting right in the middle of some very talented guys. Stunning surround for sure!

Got these in the mail last Friday.
So far I've listened to the BS&T and The Carmina Burana.

I never had New City by BS&T before so it's a new experience in quad for me.
I kinda like some of the tunes but I find David Clayton Thomas' vocals a bit on the low side. His vocals on the Blues Image cover song could of and should of been more prominent much like the original
"Ride Captain Ride"tune.OH WELL.

I'm not a big Classical buff , but I really like Orff's "Carmina Burana".
FWIW there are 2 additional quad albums with this SACD Threefor.

Anyway I'll have to dig into Michael Dutton 's quad mixes of the 2 James Galway albums ,....never before released in quad btw.
But I know James Galway had a Dolby Surround album and it may be one of these.
Beauty And The Beast music or Galway at the movies kinda rings a bell. He's a flautist and should be as good as Ian Anderson. 😅

Art Garfunkel, I kinda know what to expect ,so I'll be a happy quaddie listening to this SACD.

🤩View attachment 82911
Oh I LOVED The Magic Flute as a young whippersnapper. My Mum played that album to death. I just had to order that now - can't wait to hear it in multichannel! Wish Mum was alive to hear it!

Back