Listening to now (In Surround!) - Volume 1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard the Bitches Brew Q4 reel. Awesome! I have 9 copies of BB, including SQ, DVD-A conversion, 40th anniv box, Japan SACD (2ch), Complete Columbia Album Collection, and Complete Bitches Brew . It IS rare for me to listen to something repeatedly. But it's MILES!! Miles is one of my faves. I saw him 6 times live and own over 600 Miles CD's/LP's. Love the new Live '67 3CD/DVD box. If you like Miles from this period, p/u Jack Johnson, my fave Miles album (2ch, sorry.)

Live/Evil is KILLER! If you dig that, check out the Cellar Door Sessions 1970 6 CD (2ch) Box. Awesome! It's what Live/Evil was taken from. I spent some time with Airto, learning more about playing percussion, courtesy of the nice folks at Slingerland Drums. He's on Live/Evil and Cellar Door.

You convinced me to listen to my DVD-A of BB in my convertible today.

I hope you are on the mend, Kap'n. You'll be in my prayers.

Linda
Brewin' Bitch

Dang... not fair!!! can't listen to Quad Stuff while in the Hospital!!!! Granted, I don't listen to as much stuff as you do (you lucky girl!), but I certainly try ;)
BTW...weren't you listening to the Miles Live the other day???....can't wait for them to send me home so I can listen to "Bitches Brew" :smokin ...too bad nobody here has made a transfer from a Quad reel (was it really part of the "famous" quad reel list....can't remember now with all of these anti-biotics, anti -inflammatories , anti-capitalism; oops, wrong one!)
Cheers,
Germán F

Thank you so much Linda and Doug!

So ...there is a Q4 conversion of BB????? Dang, when I get out I'll see if I can find it...any kind soul willing to send me a copy? I'll pay for S&H and costs..honest!

And yes, I really dig that Miles period!!! (You saw him HOW MANY TIMES????? and have how many redords / CDs...incredibly impressive!! Good for you , cause you show that you enjoy it!

(yeah still here since last tuesday-Oct 25- cause of spinal fluid loss....it sucks!! but , better here than anywhere!!!)

Tutu - DVD-A YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saw Miles at the Chicago Theater with a barefoot Marilyn Mazur on percussion. She's not on a single album of his, but is on the Miles in Europe DVD-V. Foley McCreary was awesome. When I saw Miles at Orchestra Hall/Symphony Center, he held up posted boards to announce band members' names. I had tickets for an April 1st concert at the Vic which he cancelled, due to pneumonia. Shades of Loof Lirpa!

Linda
Mui Obsessed with Miles

Thank you so much Linda and Doug!

So ...there is a Q4 conversion of BB????? Dang, when I get out I'll see if I can find it...any kind soul willing to send me a copy? I'll pay for S&H and costs..honest!

And yes, I really dig that Miles period!!! (You saw him HOW MANY TIMES????? and have how many redords / CDs...incredibly impressive!! Good for you , cause you show that you enjoy it!

(yeah still here since last tuesday-Oct 25- cause of spinal fluid loss....it sucks!! but , better here than anywhere!!!)

Took a looong drive to Long Island to stay with my parents while Connecticut Power & Light figure out how to solve the power outtage - latest news - power to be restored on Sunday...great opportunity to blast the MEX2200

Goldfrapp - Supernature (SACD)
Carpenters - Singles (SACD)
Super Furry Animals - LoveKraft (SACD)
Jaco Pastorius Big Band - Word Of Mouth Revisited (SACD)
Al DiMeola - Flesh On Flesh (SACD)
Moody Blues - Question Of Balance (SACD)

Update...in a classic example of managing expectation, power was restored 1 hour after I arrived at my parents doorstep - 4 days before the announced restoration date - under promise and over deliver - better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick though. Back home and will check out the new Lindsay Buckingham live Blu Ray tomorrow - heat and electricity - can't live without it here in the great Northeast!

Took a looong drive to Long Island to stay with my parents while Connecticut Power & Light figure out how to solve the power outtage - latest news - power to be restored on Sunday...great opportunity to blast the MEX2200

Goldfrapp - Supernature (SACD)
Carpenters - Singles (SACD)
Super Furry Animals - LoveKraft (SACD)
Jaco Pastorius Big Band - Word Of Mouth Revisited (SACD)
Al DiMeola - Flesh On Flesh (SACD)
Moody Blues - Question Of Balance (SACD)

Update...in a classic example of managing expectation, power was restored 1 hour after I arrived at my parents doorstep - 4 days before the announced restoration date - under promise and over deliver - better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick though. Back home and will check out the new Lindsay Buckingham live Blu Ray tomorrow - heat and electricity - can't live without it here in the great Northeast!

Alright!, LOOVE THE GOLDFRAPP ONE!!! (even though I have the SACD one, I have moved to listening to the DTS 96/24 version with the cool stars background while playing!)
Also dig the Al DiMeola one (well, they are the only ones from your list I have , I only collect what I like)

Wow, Linda, you sure listen to a lot of music.
Yesterday I decided to dig out all my universal players and hook them up; (running out of video inputs on the TV!) BDP-80, 970HD & HD841.
So while trying them out I listened to
Moody Blues - On the Threshold of a Dream - SACD
Doors - LA Woman - DVDA
Ozric Tentacles - Paper Monkeys - DTS 5.1 (upmix)

On Monday I listened to Frank Zappa's Halloween! How fitting! Actually I've made it a staple of every Oct 31st playlist.
Treading water and waiting for the WYWH SACD to arrive..... John

Out of the Hospital last night after 9 days (7 of them lying on my bed without even sitting up!) and now rainy foggy day Surround Listening list;

Tony Banks- A curious Feeling DVD-A DTS 96/24
Best of Bread- DTS CD transfer by rmntrx
Miles Davis- Bitches Brew (Linda made me envious heh heh heh...also looking for Hi Res versions of these two-posted in the undrgrnd section!) DVD-A . transferred by a QQ fellow Surroundophile Extraordinaire
Nick Drake- A treasury (in spite of having the songs from 5LL upmixed) SACD
Depeche Mode- Songs of Faith and Devotion DTS 96/24 (though I have the SACD)
Björk- Medulla-SACD (it comes with a poster with the lyrics on one side and an enlarged different version of her portrait cover)
Herbie Hancock-Sextant homebrewed DTS CD, from SQ.(Yes, I have to do a Hi Res version....)

These are the kind of days that artists like the Cocteau Twins (or This Mortal Coil) had MultiChannel releases)...I'm left with DPLII Movie Setting :(

Soft Parade (Perception) - Doors DVD-A
Al Green's Greatest - DVD-A
Snowhead (sic) - Eric Clapton SACD 5.1
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles Live SQ
Chapter Two - Gato Barbierei QS
Last Waltz - Band DVD-A
Breakaway - Art Garfunkel SQ
Distant Hills - Oregon SQ
Red Octopus - Jefferson Starship CD-4
Greatest Hits - Country Joe & the Fish Q8
Fantasy - Carole King Q8
Court & Spark - Joni Mitchell CD-4

Hot Tuna Q8
Papa John Creach Q8
Chicago VI SQ
Plenty Good Eaton - Cleveland Eaton QS
At Folsom Prison - Johnny Cash SACD 5.1
Tchaikovsky 6 - Ormandy/Philadelphia Q8 DEFINITIVE PERFORMANCE OF 6!!
Invisible Touch - Genesis SACD 5.1
Reach Out - Burt Bacharach Q8
Compartments - Jose Feliciano CD-4
Catalyst - Willie Dixon QS
Mahler 6 - Tilson Thomas/San Francisco SACD 5.1
Imagination - Brian Wilson DTS CD
Good Stuff - Eric Bibb SACD 5.1
Love - Beatles DVD-A

Linda
Moe, Let's Have a Party - Cleveland Eaton

This activity has been suspended for the time being because of my present circumstances...hopefully soon I'll be able to resume it. (NOW they tell me I shouldn't be sitting down for long periods of time...freaking doctors...!!!)

KC Starless and Bible Black, putting a smile on my face. I still have the lp I bought when it was released....
Bring on LTIA!
And Kap'n, take it easy! Maybe you could listen standing up.....or hanging with some gravity inversion boots.

Blue Jays - Justin Hayward & John Lodge Q8
On the Border - Eagles CD-4
Stills - Steve Stills DTS CD
No Secrets - Carly Simon CD-4
Hotcakes - Carly Simon CD-4
At Village Gate - Larry Coryell SQ
Live in Japan - John Coltrane QS (actually, this one is Quadramonic, Quad derived from mono)
In a Silent Way - Miles Davis SACD 5.1
Blue Country Heart - Jorma Kaukonen SACD 5.1 A KILLAH!!
Chapter 3 - Gato Barbieri QS
Waiting for the Sun (Perception) - Doors DVD-A

Linda
Reading threads makes me put that album on for another listen

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - Blu-ray 4.0 and 5.1 ..... yeah.....
interesting there are bits I like from both the original quad and the Guthrie 5.1... not sure what one like best yet... Guthrie is a bit more adventurous with this one.....

Graham Nash - Songs for Beginners - DVD-A
Tipper - Surrounded - DVD-A (Dualdisc)
Genesis - Foxtrot - SACD
Alice Cooper - Welcome to My Nightmare - DVD-A
R.E.M. - Monster - DVD-A (Hadn't listened to this since about 2006 - so I thought it was time for a spin...)
Depeche Mode - Violator - DVD (DTS) - arghh my SACD isn't playing in my Oppo ...:(
Tom Petty - Mojo - Blu-ray
KC - Discipline - DVD-A
KC - SABB - DVD-A

Stills - Steve Stills DTS CD
In a Silent Way - Miles Davis SACD 5.1
Waiting for the Sun (Perception) - Doors DVD-A

Linda
Reading threads makes me put that album on for another listen

I'll have to give these all another spin.... :eek:

Blonde on Blonde - Bob Dylan SACD 5.1
Morrison Hotel (Perception) - Doors DVD-A I've never listened to the CD remixes in Perception and am finally beginning to do so
Chicago Transit Authority Quadio DTS
Reggae Pulse DVD-A
Time Out - Dave Brubeck SACD 5.1
Joy - Isaac Hayes SQ
Spinners CD-4
Dragon Fly - Jefferson Starship CD-4
Electric Hot Tuna - Q8
Mahler 5 - Tilson Thomas/SF SACD 5.1
Rhymes & Resons - Carole King Q8
Chapter 4 live - Gato Barbieri QS
Electric Warrior - T Rex DVD-A
Introspection - Thijs Van Leer SQ

Linda

Back again (pun intended?)!

If I go out, make it with me listening to Surround Stuff!!!

(of course ) Makino Jun -Still Point SACD
kd lang-Invincible Summer DVD-A (liking this one better each time I spin it)
Michel Camilo (with the Barcelona Symphony Orchestra)-Rhapsody in Blue SACD

EDIT: More stuff:

Joe Perry- Dual Disc DVD-V Dullbee (2nd time I've spun this -it's PRETTY ROCKING-such a pity that it's dull bee and when all channels come in, it turns into sonic slush!)
Seal- Seal (1st) DVD-A

Last edited:
Full Sail - Loggins & Messina SQ also have a sealed copy awaiting a new turntable (one of these days)
Bach: Brandenbergs - Newman SQ
Hotel California - Eagles DVD-A
Live - O'Jays SQ
Best of Mancini Q8
Best of Al Hirt Q8
Sun Secrets - Eric Burdon Q8
Dave Mason SQ
Santana III SQ
Souther, Hillman, Furay CD-4
Mondo Head - Kodo SACD 5.1
Why Dontcha - West, Bruce & Laing SQ
After All This Time - Bonnie Koloc EV-4