Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toto IV
Toto
SACD

Toto IV [SACD] 500x500.jpg

Finally sewing the seeds of love in surround.
Superb sound quality. Immersive Wilson mix.
I never had this album so its mostly new music to me. Not sure I will listen to all the extras.
I wish their videos had been included on the bluray. I remember seeing the seeds video back then.
I will soak in this music for a while before deciding.

We listened to two albums and a Quad extra from the box set last night.

Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1970

View attachment 45073 View attachment 45079 View attachment 45076

Meddle in 5.1 Echos in 4.0 Atom Heart Mother 4.0
View attachment 45077 View attachment 45078 View attachment 45075

Where o where did the Obscured By Clouds 5.1 go.... such a shame...
Do you remember why the Blu-Ray Disc 1 in the 1967-1972 Continu/ation set & the Blu-Ray Disc in the 1972 Obfusc/ation set which were part of the Early Days Pink Floyd Box set had to be re-pressed?

I just got Booka Shade - Dear Future Self in Dolby Atmos and I'd have to say it along with Lichtmond 4 - The Journey (Atmos) are two of the most impressive Atmos demo-worthy music discs for putting sounds pretty much everywhere imaginable in the room. Rear surrounds are particularly noticeable as they are often neglected in most movies for any heavy usage. The room sounded massive (I have front/rear heights plus top middle (6 overhead) and 11 on the floor (3 mains plus front wides, side surround, side surround#1 and rear surrounds behind that (rear surrounds are 12 feet behind the side surrounds) so the entire 24' length of the room lights up top and bottom (12' to the sides). The imaging is huge and these two discs really emphasize the sheer size by putting sounds in every nook and cranny. Booka Shade in particular likes to put things all over the ceiling, front back and nearly every point in-between. No Atmos movie comes close save perhaps the opening of the newer Flatliners movie that has voices talking all over the ceiling about 1.5 minutes in during the title sequence. The Lichtmond albums also have trippy 3D (or in 2D) CGI visuals to go along with the music for an even more mind blowing experience (Lichtmond 3 - Days of Eternity is also excellent if you have Auro-3D decoding, although Neural X does at least a fair job of simulating it from the base mix). I recommend all three of them for 3D immersive sound.

51vLZ7jI17L._SL1200_.jpg

81DpPbwnbbL.jpg

71hzDhnHd4L._SX522_.jpg

Back