Quantcast

Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

steelydave

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Another Astounding Classical TWO~FER from D~V in STUNNING DISCRETE SONICS with the highlight being Aaron Copland conducting his own Appalachian Spring, Complete Ballet, with the Columbia Chamber Orchestra.

This would be one of my recommendations for people (like me) who are part of the "I don't know anything about classical music but I might want to buy one of these" crowd. A really lively, accessible, fun piece of music, and a great active quad mix.

I couldn't get into the Chavez half of the disc at all though, it seems like the polar opposite in terms of accessibility - weird guttural primordial rumbles with very little melody to speak of.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
This would be one of my recommendations for people (like me) who are part of the "I don't know anything about classical music but I might want to buy one of these" crowd. A really lively, accessible, fun piece of music, and a great active quad mix.

I couldn't get into the Chavez half of the disc at all though, it seems like the polar opposite in terms of accessibility - weird guttural primordial rumbles with very little melody to speak of.
Dave, I only wish Michael Dutton had placed the Copland Disc first and then the Chavez but alas not. For the asking price of £11.99 for two complete Columbia Masterworks SQ discs more than justifies purchase of this for the Copland disc alone.

steelydave

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Dave, I only wish Michael Dutton had placed the Copland Disc first and then the Chavez but alas not. For the asking price of £11.99 for two complete Columbia Masterworks SQ discs more than justifies purchase of this for the Copland disc alone.
I think the album sequencing was dictated entirely by the fact that the SACD stereo layer (only) included the 'Copland Rehearses Appalachian Spring' EP - the only way for the three programs to sync up was for the running order to be Chavez (CD/SACD stereo/SACD multi) -> Copland (CD/SACD Stereo/SACD multi) -> Copland Rehearsal (SACD stereo only).

It's also worth noting that as a result of that, the SACD stereo layer of this album must be one of the longer ones in existence - the Chavez portion runs about 50 minutes, the full Appalachian Spring is about 34 minutes, and then the Appalachian Spring rehearsal is a further 17 minutes, so well over 100 minutes in total playing time.

LeperLord

enjoying this whilst i await the arrival of Jakszyk's new release
View attachment 58531
Jakszyk, Fripp And Collins ‎A Scarcity Of Miracles (A King Crimson ProjeKct)

POLL THREAD
WTF how did i not know Jakko has surround releases?

Amazing news