Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Memory of Tim Bogert who passed away at age 76 on January 13th!

See the source image

See the source image
Damn! Well this calls for an in memoriam spin–eponymous!
1610656345730.png
Beck, Bogert & Appice

POLL

When the sun comes up tomorrow
Well it might take years to see through all these tears
Don't let go, when you find it you will know

Oh o-o-o-oh, gonna try and love again . . .
View attachment 61699 EaglesHotel California

POLL
How’s the Japanese SACD release compare to my ancient DVD-A? Fantastic Scheiner mix in both but maybe better mastering?

When the sun comes up tomorrow
Well it might take years to see through all these tears
Don't let go, when you find it you will know

Oh o-o-o-oh, gonna try and love again . . .

View attachment 61699 EaglesHotel California
POLL

Comrade Clement ... you missed your CALLING. You should've been a Singer in a Rock 'n Roll Band

See the source image

How’s the Japanese SACD release compare to my ancient DVD-A? Fantastic Scheiner mix in both but maybe better mastering?
All i have is the SACD (one of my finds in Japan!). Did you read through the POLL thread? Some posts (18, 23, 34, etc.) comment on slight sonic differences.

NEWS BULLETIN: AN E~MAIL FROM MARY FAHL:

I also have a big favor to ask... My Blu-ray 5.1 version of "From the Dark Side of the Moon" is a finalist for the Immersive Audio Album Listener's Choice Award for best surround album of 2020. Anyone can vote online... so... if you're so inclined, I would really appreciate your support with a vote. Just go to Vote Here and it will take you to the page to cast your vote. Alternatively, you can click on this link: https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/listeners-choice-awards-2021/?mc_cid=82bdf07cce&mc_eid=ab78069c66

MaryFahlB-thumb-380xauto-5029.jpg

edit: Just cast MY vote for Mary's FROM THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

Last edited:
I started in '06 with Porcupine Tree's In Absentia and Deadwing, then I got a lot of the other DTS Entertainment titles (DTS CDs, DVD-Vs and DVD-As). It just went on from there, and luckily I managed to get a lot of the original DVD-A titles (including Rhino/WEA) for normal prices. Lots of SACDs along the way, but I've never quite liked them as much as DVD and Blu-ray.
I just listened to the Steve Stevens Flamenco a Go Go DTS DVD and was blown away. I had forgotten how experimental that DVD is. It came out the same year ad my Studio Voodoo album and was just as outrageous. It lacks in the LFE department but exercises all the other 5 speakers entertaingly.

I also have a big favor to ask... My Blu-ray 5.1 version of "From the Dark Side of the Moon" is a finalist for the Immersive Audio Album Listener's Choice Award for best surround album of 2020. Anyone can vote online... so... if you're so inclined, I would really appreciate your support with a vote. Just go to Vote Here and it will take you to the page to cast your vote. Alternatively, you can click on this link: https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/listeners-choice-awards-2021/?mc_cid=82bdf07cce&mc_eid=ab78069c66

And the email came with a quotation from @edisonbaggins Life in Surround review!
1610676374798.png

Ralph–or anyone else–do you recollect the other nominees? I recollect Jane Ira Bloom, The Pineapple Thief, Ana-Tole, and . . . ? I, too, voted and can no longer access the list!

Last edited:
And the email came with a quotation from @edisonbaggins Life in Surround review!
View attachment 61706
Ralph–or anyone else–do you recollect the other nominees? I recollect Jane Ira Bloom, The Pineapple Thief, Ana-Tole, and . . . ? I, too, voted and can no longer access the list!

What was the best immersive audio album of 2020? *

From the Dark Side of the Moon by Mary Fahl

Into the Black Hole by Ana-Tole

Wild Lines by Jane Ira Bloom

Versions of the Truth by Pineapple Thief

The Empathy Machine by Chimpan A

And this GUY, edisonbaggins sure gets around!

Last edited:

It was a tough decision. Versions of the Truth was one of the other nominees. But Mary asked and Bruce did not. So I voted for From the Dark Side of the Moon.

Back