Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

AYanguas

For those of you talking about Kraftwerk - I’m sorta on the fence (because of the expense) and would love to get a simple breakdown (I now that might not be possible...); I’ve done some research but am trying to cut through the hype language.

So, am I right that both the Catalogue box and MinimumMaximum are live, but both are nicely discreet in their mix and are different recordings? Like, one doesn’t necessarily render the other moot?

I’m certainly not a Kraftwerk completist and if the original studio stuff was available I’d certainly go that route. But without that prospect, is there a clear winner if I were to only hunt down one?
The overall winner is clearly The Catalogue Box if you value Dolby Atmos and very good visuals.

Edited: And not being a Kraftwerk completist I would recommend for his big selection and very good sound (it sounds like or better than studio)...: The Catalogue

Last edited:

ronsonroll

A MOST pleasant Surprise in Dolby Surround and HDCD encoding for 20 bit resolution with some seriously deep bass and over 72 minutes of music and ironically, it came today with the new Native UHD4K remaster of John Carpenter's PRINCE of DARKNESS

It okay but not originals, It's cover versions.

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
It okay but not originals, It's cover versions.
On my system it sounds pretty incredible....nice DEEP bass! I know one Amazon reviewer said it sounded like elevator music renditions of the Carpenter originals. Was that YOU? The HDCD encoding is pretty amazing as well. Carpenter utilized a lot of synthesizers on his original recordings but I think the Silva Screen Carpenter disc is more contemporary in nature as synthesizers encompass a more [dated] '80's sound!

Last edited:

The56Kid

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
CDJapan just emailed me that this Japanese 2 SHM~CD/DVD edition is NOW available for purchase:

Also available: Hergest Ridge

CDJapan is very stingy on the details. Does the DVD contain the originally released 5.1 surround mix?

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
CDJapan is very stingy on the details. Does the DVD contain the originally released 5.1 surround mix?
I cannot verify that but am assuming it's the same edition as the deluxe versions which do contain the 5.1 remix. The addition of two SHM~CDs pad the price.

This might be of some help as the Tubular Bells 2 SHM~CD/DVD edition does indicate it contains the same QUAD mix as the original LP

edit: if you do scan down to the TRACKLISTING/SAMPLE listing it does indicate 5.1 on Ommadawn, as well!

Last edited:

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
JAZZ AT THE MOVIES BAND: THE BEDROOM MIXES [WARNER/MLP DVD~A 5.1/96/24] Superbly recorded jazzy interpretations of some gorgeous Hollywood and International movie themes with a VERY impressive list of musicians!

Last edited: