Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

halbroome

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
The blu ray movie editions of LORD OF THE RINGS are in 6.1. Too bad the separate soundtracks aren't, sigh.

Fun to listen to this Studio Voodoo, 6.1 24/48 DTS DR's range from 12's to 17's.
The worlds first DTS 6.1 DVD-Audio.
Includes a multi-channel and stereo soundtrack for DVD-Audio players, plus a DTS Master Quality 6.1 soundtrack and a Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo track for DVD-Video players.
Encoded in 6.1 - Channel Extended Surround, and also compatible with 5.1 Digital Surround decoders.
View attachment 63961

marpow

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
The blu ray movie editions of LORD OF THE RINGS are in 6.1. Too bad the separate soundtracks aren't, sigh.
To be honest, as I don't know, what is the definition of 6.1. The others make sense, 5.1 & 7.1( center speaker plus multiples of pairs)
What is 6.1? Center plus ?

Perpendicular

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
At one point, there was DTS-ES that was a 6.1 speaker layout adding the center rear speaker as wavelength has mentioned.

marpow

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
At one point, there was DTS-ES that was a 6.1 speaker layout adding the center rear speaker as wavelength has mentioned.

Got it, center rear speaker, now makes sense, thank you.

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Got it, center rear speaker, now makes sense, thank you.
This Chesky Chuck Mangione has a 6.0 mix; that if I remember correctly is supposed to be 2 offset center channels. But I also seem to remember a lot of this one is merely room ambiance, maybe like an Ambisonic recording.

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
This Chesky Chuck Mangione has a 6.0 mix; that if I remember correctly is supposed to be 2 offset center channels. But I also seem to remember a lot of this one is merely room ambiance, maybe like an Ambisonic recording.

In My {HUMBLE} Opinion, ALL of Chesky's multichannel releases save for a scant few have rear ambience only but are recorded to such HIGH STANDARDS it sometimes obfuscates the need for discrete elements. Since most of them are encoded at lower than normal levels, a volume boost will bring out the merits in Chesky's minimalist approach to surround.