Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't familiar with this title (or Queensryche in general, beyond the MTV/radio hits in the early 90's), but it's pretty darn solid from a content standpoint and sounds dang good too (and a Silverline!).

View attachment 64361
See if you can find Geoff Tate's soloalbum from about the same time.DVD-A from Silverline.Good music and OK mix/fideity.

OK, I have a problem. I just received this in the mail, and my receiver doesn't play it as quad. My player (cheap Sony) says it recognizes it as 4.0; the receiver (Yamaha RX-V385) doesn't, and just gives a stereo output. I've never had this issue before. Does anyone here know what the deal could be, or where on these forums I can ask?

R-11829037-1523093381-6802.jpeg.jpg
Mine arrived today. My yeoman Blu-ray player is a Sony ubp x800. Although on the tv it shows as playing the 4.0 DTS mix, it somehow sends it as 2.0 to my receiver. I have the same problem with other 4.0 Blu-ray discs (i think there is a thread dealing with this or it shows up within a thread; somehow i remember reading about it). For example, my Sony Blu-ray player will not correctly send the 4.0 mixes of the Doobies or Chicago Quadio sets or Clapton's Give Me Strength. I have an Oppo 103 to play those discs. And this one! Do you have another player with which to try it?

Mine arrived today. My yeoman Blu-ray player is a Sony ubp x800. Although on the tv it shows as playing the 4.0 DTS mix, it somehow sends it as 2.0 to my receiver. I have the same problem with other 4.0 Blu-ray discs (i think there is a thread dealing with this or it shows up within a thread; somehow i remember reading about it). For example, my Sony Blu-ray player will not correctly send the 4.0 mixes of the Doobies or Chicago Quadio sets or Clapton's Give Me Strength. I have an Oppo 103 to play those discs. And this one! Do you have another player with which to try it?

I have a UBP x700, and haven't had any issues with the Doobies or Chicago, etc... I know I did see some folks talking about how to muck around with settings (I think @GOS gave me some pointers if I'm not mistaken), and this may not be news to you but I didn't realize to what degree I could play with settings on the UBP itself (going to the Settings menu from the UBP home screen, up in the top right). Being able to select whether the UBP defaults to 2ch or multi, etc.—might potentially be a quick fix in there, but again, you may know this stuff already so my apologies if it's not helpful!

I have a UBP x700, and haven't had any issues with the Doobies or Chicago, etc... I know I did see some folks talking about how to muck around with settings (I think @GOS gave me some pointers if I'm not mistaken), and this may not be news to you but I didn't realize to what degree I could play with settings on the UBP itself (going to the Settings menu from the UBP home screen, up in the top right). Being able to select whether the UBP defaults to 2ch or multi, etc.—might potentially be a quick fix in there, but again, you may know this stuff already so my apologies if it's not helpful!
No! I didn't know! I'll start poking around! It might help @efb18 as well. Let us know if you remember any specific tweaks! Thanks MUCH!

View attachment 64345
Big Phat Band - Gordian Knot in Auro-3D
And the same for me today....Great release and I agree with your review Mike...the Auro 3D is better than the Atmos version. By the way your new reviewing style is great...I just wonder if one of them Muppets are suddenly going to appear alongside you , as that new layout looks perfect for it too happen!! :D
Just kidding....

To be fair, I wasn't that impressed with the surround mix on this release, on first listening but after changing to Auro, it's all become crystal clear.

Big Phat Band back to what they do best and I love Big Band music...:rocks:SG

No! I didn't know! I'll start poking around! It might help @efb18 as well. Let us know if you remember any specific tweaks! Thanks MUCH!

Sure thing - so yeah, I'm looking at it now; this is 700 specific but I'm assuming the 700 and 800 are pretty similar. You nav up to the "Setup" icon in the top right (little toolbox) and then there's a whole menu of settings within. I found the manual online to get detailed explanations of every choice/setting, and I think it's worth a spin through all of this to see the detail to which you can configure, but the a-ha moments for me were in:

1. Audio Settings - I have no issues and my settings are as follows:

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 2.23.11 PM.png

2. Music Settings:

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 2.23.21 PM.png

Sure thing - so yeah, I'm looking at it now; this is 700 specific but I'm assuming the 700 and 800 are pretty similar. You nav up to the "Setup" icon in the top right (little toolbox) and then there's a whole menu of settings within. I found the manual online to get detailed explanations of every choice/setting, and I think it's worth a spin through all of this to see the detail to which you can configure, but the a-ha moments for me were in:

1. Audio Settings - I have no issues and my settings are as follows:

View attachment 64370

2. Music Settings:

View attachment 64371

Perfect -- THANK YOU!! All I had to do was set the "BD Secondary Audio" to "off."

Works great now! Again, thank you :giggle:

Back