Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moloko.jpg

Moloko - Statues (Poll)

Matt Lawrence has already won me over in track 1 "Familiar Feeling" with the transition from centre to phantom centre vocals.

Love it when mixes take full advantage of the front-stage width control they have.

(Partly because it validates my insistence on matching left/centre/right!)

B2F70C3B-9027-4F83-BCBA-3A7C6F0DF4B2.jpeg

Henry Purcell: Oh! lead me to some peaceful gloom; Dido’s Lament
John Bennet: Venus’ Birds
Barbara Strozzi: Lamento (Lagrimemie), L’Eraclito amoroso
Claudia Sessa: Occhi io vissi di voi
Francesca Caccini: Lasciatemi qui solo
Lucrezia Vizzana: O magnum mysterium
Anonymous: The Willow Song; O death, rock me asleep

Ruby Hughes (soprano)
Mime Yamahiro Brinkmann (cello)
Jonas Nordberg (lute)

I see that Naxos also has this same recording in SACD format.

Generally speaking I find the DTS of DVDA superior in channel separation but I also appreciate that SACD might have other qualities?

Any thoughts/experience on this issue?
The Naxos SACDs have a stereo layer based on the 24/48 original recording (no stereo on the DVD-As, just a downmix), but the DVD-Audio releases are essentially the master file, while the SACDs are a conversion to DSD that may have minor degradation. In practice they're pretty similar.

*also discovered this BASF Spanish SQ LP from1974 while doing a bit of research (anyone heard it?)
https://www.discogs.com/Escolania-D...garra-Pergolesi-Missa-Romana/release/10839654

That looks very interesting and could be awesome in Quad. Pergolesi’s Missa Romana is for 2 or 4 choirs. If it‘s 4 choirs, the Quad recording might have one in each corner. Even if it’s 2 choirs, they might be separated in the front and rear channels. I believe the back of the album sleeve says 2 choirs and soloists. The photo shows the performers in a typical arrangement together in front of the stage, so it is difficult to determine whether they tried to make a discrete surround mix or only an ambient one. At any rate, Pergolesi’s Missa for 4 choirs certainly is a prime candidate for a surround recording.

0F9B7B04-66DF-4B28-A749-DE6B625A1191.jpeg

I found an old review of the LP version. Scroll down to pages 110 and 111.

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archi...iFI-Stereo/70s/HiFi-Stereo-Review-1974-01.pdf
The reviewer doesn’t mention the Quad mix, which is a pity because elsewhere the magazine is full of information about Quad. There is even a discussion of the 70s oil shortage having an impact on sourcing PVC for records, especially Quad. (On page 54).

Last edited:
That looks very interesting and could be awesome in Quad. Pergolesi’s Missa Romana is for 2 or 4 choirs. If it‘s 4 choirs, the Quad recording might have one in each corner. Even if it’s 2 choirs, they might be separated in the front and rear channels. I believe the back of the album sleeve says 2 choirs and soloists. The photo shows the performers in a typical arrangement together in front of the stage, so it is difficult to determine whether they tried to make a discrete surround mix or only an ambient one. At any rate, Pergolesi’s Missa for 4 choirs certainly is a prime candidate for a surround recording.

View attachment 67620

I found an old review of the LP version. Scroll down to pages 110 and 111.

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archi...iFI-Stereo/70s/HiFi-Stereo-Review-1974-01.pdf
The reviewer doesn’t mention the Quad mix, which is a pity because elsewhere the magazine is full of information about Quad. There is even a discussion of the 70s oil shortage having an impact on sourcing PVC for records, especially Quad. (On page 54).
Nice research Lute!

If you do a search here on the QQ for that label “Harmonia Mundi” plenty of posts pop up (a gold mine of info!)

I followed up just now with a discogs search for the label and Quadraphonic and came up with these results. I’m not much of a classical guy, so don’t know if there’s anything uniquely special or of any significance to glean from this bunch-

https://www.discogs.com/search/?q=Harmonia+Mundi+Quadraphonic&type=all&page=1

Nice research Lute!

If you do a search here on the QQ for that label “Harmonia Mundi” plenty of posts pop up (a gold mine of info!)

I followed up just now with a discogs search for the label and Quadraphonic and came up with these results. I’m not much of a classical guy, so don’t know if there’s anything uniquely special or of any significance to glean from this bunch-

Really interesting! Are these discrete at all? Harmonia Mundi is still around, and they've had some great SACD releases - I'm thinking especially of the Tokyo String Quartet releases - but I don't get the sense they were much interested in reissuing their quads.

(also, maybe this and preceding posts should be moved to the classical thread?)

Nice research Lute!

That list is making me drool like a pup! 🐶💦 There is an nice selection of delicacies from the Baroque and even Renaissance eras. About the surround mix, though, my hunch is that they are mostly ambient. I would love to be proved wrong.

On a side note, I remember a while back that you enjoyed “Musique and Sweet Poetrie - Kirkby, Lindberg”

EF301FC3-BBA9-4B89-ABF2-66CB2CD44C01.jpeg

If you’re interested in another album in a similar vein, you might also like “Heroines of Love and Loss - Hughes, Brinkmann, Nordberg”. Hughes has an equally lovely voice and this one includes a baroque cello. The selection of music has a nice, varied arrangement. Perhaps the best part is the recording and the venue. Just as with Kirkby/Lindberg, the air and space of the recording venue is captured exquisitely.

DF9B32D2-5BE0-4ED9-B6F2-860426AF4023.jpeg

Back