Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a quiet, sunny, autumn morning, a good set by a wry New York jazz pianist & composer. Mostly originals, but it starts with a wistful reading of "Happy Days Are Here Again" and finishes with a Leonard Bernstein/Baden Powell mashup.

Leslie Pintchik, Quartets (Ambient Records SACD 5.0, 2007). Soundfield is mostly spread across the front 3 channels, but the rears pick up enough of the drumkit, especially, to make you feel like you're in the room.

1633018830318.png

For a quiet, sunny, autumn morning, a good set by a wry New York jazz pianist & composer. Mostly originals, but it starts with a wistful reading of "Happy Days Are Here Again" and finishes with a Leonard Bernstein/Baden Powell mashup.

Leslie Pintchik, Quartets (Ambient Records SACD 5.0, 2007). Soundfield is mostly spread across the front 3 channels, but the rears pick up enough of the drumkit, especially, to make you feel like you're in the room.

View attachment 72015
Hey and apparently Steve Wilson has made the jump to classical ;)

View attachment 72015

A lovely album indeed, humprof!

A little Manuel Gottsching , ASH RA TEMPEL VI QUAD SQ /Metronome Records (Cosmic Courrier)

I have a conversion but both the : SQ Quad LP and SQ Quad CD are amazing. If you like electronica , he's absolutely outstanding with his guitar synthed for this quadraphonic recording.
I listen to this mostly on my ipod ear buds in SQ , while racing outside down on the nearby ashphalt bicycling trail . All of which really puts me in another world .

BTW I would also recommend Ash Ra Tempel , Starring Rosi . Another great Manuel Gottsching SQ quad wonder.

20210929_140655.jpg

Did you get an early release on Yes? How is it?
Not early, on releaseday, according to Burning Shed anyway, I'm on my second listen now and able to pay it more attention, and I'm enjoying the music a lot more this time, and hearing more in the mix, to my ear it's very good, the lead vocal is mainly in the centre and backing vocals and instruments from the rears and fronts as you would hope for really, 5.1 mix by Curtis Schwartz and mastered by Simon Heyworth, has Schwartz done anything before? I don't recognise the name.
Edit: audio choices are
  • 96/24 LPCM stereo
  • 5.1 DTS-HD Master
  • 5.1 48/24 LPCM
  • 48/24 LPCM stereo instrumental tracks.

Last edited:
Yes I do have the 3cd Boxed set. I ordered mine back in 1990 straight from Virgin Records in G.B.

BTW Tubular Bells was one of the very first multichannel SACD (4.0) to be released by EMI .

And of course also in 5.1 DVD , along with , Hergest Ridge , and , Ommadawn all CD/DVD on Mercury/UMG .
I've those CD+DVD with 5.1 (crippled dolby digital) too.

Back