Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rudolph Johnson, The Second Coming (Black Jazz QS LP, 1973). SurroundMaster decode of the 2012 Snow Dog CD reissue.

Great set--very Coltrane-esque--and the mix is as good as any other Black Jazz title--only the sonics on this one seem a little muddy, for some reason. (I wonder what gives?)

1633918414549.png

Finishing the night with three quads by Q (I don't have his fourth, Body Heat). Two of these are conversions from Q8 and the other from a Japan-only quad reel.
  • Walking in Space (1969): A Creed Taylor production, with an all-star big-band lineup composed of R&B session heavies and serious jazz cats. An odd, early mix, with a ton of reverb. But the hippest "easy listening" record you've ever heard.
  • You've Got It Bad, Girl (1973): some of the same characters as before (in a small-group setting, with strings), but also Phil Woods. Plus, the "Sanford and Son" theme and a number co-written with Bill Cosby. And a very cool speaker assignment track, in Japanese. If you're a fan of a certain genre/certain era of hip-hop, you'll recognize the sources for a whole bunch of jazzy samples. Killin' mix by Phil Schier. This one's my favorite.
  • Mellow Madness (1975): mellow, as in Leon Ware and Minnie Riperton, but also...the Watts Prophets? (They furnish a right-on kind of mellow.) Funky, too, courtesy of the Brothers Johnson. Another great mix.
The sound is way better on the reel, for obvious reasons, although this particular converter also works wonders with 8-tracks.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/jones-quincy-walking-in-space-q8.29999/https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...cy-youve-got-it-bad-girl-cd-4-sq-q8-qr.30000/https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/jones-quincy-mellow-madness-cd-4-q8.30003/

Finishing the night with three quads by Q (I don't have his fourth, Body Heat). Two of these are conversions from Q8 and the other from a Japan-only quad reel.
  • Walking in Space (1969): A Creed Taylor production, with an all-star big-band lineup composed of R&B session heavies and serious jazz cats. An odd, early mix, with a ton of reverb. But the hippest "easy listening" record you've ever heard.
  • You've Got It Bad, Girl (1973): some of the same characters as before (in a small-group setting, with strings), but also Phil Woods. Plus, the "Sanford and Son" theme and a number co-written with Bill Cosby. And a very cool speaker assignment track, in Japanese. If you're a fan of a certain genre/certain era of hip-hop, you'll recognize the sources for a whole bunch of jazzy samples. Killin' mix by Phil Schier. This one's my favorite.
  • Mellow Madness (1975): mellow, as in Leon Ware and Minnie Riperton, but also...the Watts Prophets? (They furnish a right-on kind of mellow.) Funky, too, courtesy of the Brothers Johnson. Another great mix.
The sound is way better on the reel, for obvious reasons, although this particular converter also works wonders with 8-tracks.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/jones-quincy-walking-in-space-q8.29999/https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...cy-youve-got-it-bad-girl-cd-4-sq-q8-qr.30000/https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/jones-quincy-mellow-madness-cd-4-q8.30003/

get with the beat! you need that "Body Heat"! 😋 🔥:dance🔥 🤗

its my favourite Q from Q - and I love the Quads of "Mellow Madness" and "You've Got It Bad, Girl" so you can imagine how fab "Body Heat" is! ...'out there' in various formats; SQ-encoded 96/24 HDTracks, SQ, Q8 and Japanese CD-4, do you dig me hot stuff 🦵💋

This was an album--and a duo--I'd never heard of before a friend offered me his conversion from quad reel: Hollins and Starr, Sidewalks Talking (Ovation, 1970). I did know that Dick Schory was an early adopter of quad. I'm not sure if the LP version of this album, which I haven't heard, used EV-4 or QS, although I guess those matrices were almost identical? Also don't know if the 2011 CD reissue retained the quad encoding in the way that Black Jazz CDs did. Anyway, this is sort of a period piece: noodly, jazzy, proto-proggy, psychedelic folk-rock with a self-consciously quaddy mix. And an abundance of classical flute. A little Donovan, a little ELP, a little Jeff Buckley. Hip factor: Google informs me that it was sampled by DJ Shadow.

View attachment 72410
I have the Q8. One of my favorite obscure releases.

I have the Q8. One of my favorite obscure releases.
Ok. So you people inspired me to go downstairs and get these. Time to fire up the Akai!!

Attachments

• A4B44B0A-80B5-4D69-BDB6-A6A8F7FBB5F4.jpeg
    A4B44B0A-80B5-4D69-BDB6-A6A8F7FBB5F4.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 560F178C-D1EA-40E0-88BB-9461A8F522A5.jpeg
    560F178C-D1EA-40E0-88BB-9461A8F522A5.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 9A8ABDB6-7B94-4D0B-97AC-9CCC5AA17C98.jpeg
    9A8ABDB6-7B94-4D0B-97AC-9CCC5AA17C98.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 13845B79-870D-486E-B311-479EE2C94DA7.jpeg
    13845B79-870D-486E-B311-479EE2C94DA7.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 42
Kimiko Kasai with the Gil Evans Orchestra, Satin Doll (2007 SACD 4.0). Interesting that Sony Japan picked this 1972 SQ LP to reissue in a modern format--and that they didn't mess with the mix, which is highly discrete, though sometimes kind of unorthodox (with soloists sometimes getting buried in the rears at relatively low volumes).

She's big in Japan, obviously, and Wikipedia tells me that she went on to wax records with plenty of other visiting American legends, too. But I don't find Kasai all that convincing as a jazz singer. (Call me a chauvinist, but some of the local pickup players who were hired for this touring version of Evans's group sound pretty creaky on their solos, too. Masabumi Kikuchi is the real deal, though, and I wish his date with Evans had been released in quad.) The album sounds great, though--really well recorded.

1633996890152.png

Last edited:
Kuniko (Kuniko Kato), IX: Iannis Xenakis (Linn SACD, 2015). I love her other two MCh discs on Linn, Kuniko Plays Reich and Cantus (more Reich, with some Arvo Part). This one's good, too: just as immersive & discrete--that's achieved partly through overdubs--but the repertoire is a little more challenging for the casual listener.

1633998165148.png

Calvin Keys, Proceed With Caution! (1974) and Criss Cross (1976). Two more from the (mostly) QS-encoded Black Jazz catalog. The first is a really fine software decode of a CD reissue; the other, an SM decode of a recent digital download. The latter is a compilation that actually came out in 1976 on Ovation, after Black Jazz went under. Three of the tracks come from Keys's debut album, Shawn-Neeq, one of a handful of Black Jazz titles that do not exist in quad (I think they were recorded direct to two-track, in fact). So...those ones are upmixed, I guess, either by Dick Schory or by the SurroundMaster. Great straightahead jazz, regardless.

1633998918157.png
1633999395401.png

Back