Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haven't had a fair listen yet, just a quick run-thru on the computer, but here's what one looks like in Audacity.

1st song
- Fronts have some bass, drums, keyboards, vox room reverb, violin, some violin reverb from the rears
- Center has main Vocals (prominently), Violin, Drums, Sitar (maybe?)
- LFE had Bass & Drum
- Rears have Sitar, Violin, Vox room reverb, Electric Guitar, Synth maybe Dulcimer?

I suppose they could have made some of the instruments stand out more discretely in the rears, but I believe they're going for a more atmospheric sound. I sampled another song also, and the mix seemed a little different to this one, so it probably varies some song to song.
sounded fairly clean and adequately surroundy tho!

View attachment 72537

Kinda the way I hear it too.

Remember her vocals are the main instrument , everything arcing around the center are used subtly .
And it works for me in 5.0.......rather naturally.

Last edited:
Listening now.....for the third time in a row, the first 6 songs from Alan Williams super effort on ....

Birdsong At Morning - Signs And Wonders 5.1 blu ray.

Best song so far is : "All The Sadness To Come" , but most of the others are no slouch fwiw. Great opening guitar riff on "Won't Let Go" , 2nd favourite tune for me.

20211013_155354.jpg

Two Gordon Lightfoots (Lightfeet?) from the mid-70s: Sundown (1974) and Cold On the Shoulder (1975). Conversions from quad reel. The first is probably better known, but the second has some good tunes, too, including beautiful traditional-sounding ballads like "A Tree Too Weak to Stand." I'm not the first to say what a great Dutton Quadio two-fer these would make.

1634167670085.png
1634167726164.png

Last edited:
Love and Rockets, Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven (BDA 5.1, 2016 [1985]).

1634238508129.png

I do love this album (and the long-running comic book by Jaime & Gilbert Hernandez from which the band took its name). Exceptional mix--so unsassumingly good, you don't always realize just how good it is, if that makes any sense. Hoping @neil wilkes can give us a status report on the four other titles currently in preparation!

Last edited:
Mahavishnu Orchestra, Between Nothingness and Eternity (1974 [1973]). Lucky enough to have good-to-excellent conversions from both SQ LP and Q8--and tantalized by the prospect of how great the discrete version would be in a high-res format. (It's already floating around out there in "Sony 360.") This is near the top of lots of people's "dream" release lists--especially their lists of live recordings. C'mon, Sony Japan!

(The poll needs some votes, by the way.)
Quad LP/Tape Poll - Mahavishnu Orchestra: Between Nothingness & Eternity Live [SQ/Q8]

1634240761383.png

Two Gordon Lightfoots (Lightfeet?) from the mid-70s: Sundown (1974) and Cold On the Shoulder (1975). Conversions from quad reel. The first is probably better known, but the second has some good tunes, too, including beautiful traditional-sounding ballads like "A Tree Too Weak to Stand." I'm not the first to say what a great Dutton two-fer these would make.

View attachment 72542 View attachment 72543

You mean, RHINO! ONLY WISH RHINO would authorize Dutton~Vocalion to release ALL their magnifico Unreleased 'vaulted' QUAD master tapes!

You mean, RHINO! ONLY WISH RHINO would authorize Dutton~Vocalion to release ALL their magnifico Unreleased 'vaulted' QUAD master tapes!

Right ... was misremembering Lightfoot as being on RCA for some reason.

I dunno; I'm wondering if we've seen the last of Quadio. Seems like there's been a long radio silence from our man at Rhino. I'd be happy if Warner Records would just release some things to Apple Music, like their cousin Warner Classics has.

I dunno; I'm wondering if we've seen the last of Quadio. Seems like there's been a long radio silence from our man at Rhino. I'd be happy if Warner Records would just release some things to Apple Music, like their cousin Warner Classics has.

The last QUADIO box set from Rhino was the Doobies in stunning BD~A 192/24 reolution and prior to that the re~release of the DOORS GREATEST HITS again in 192/24 resolution on BD~A.

I was hoping for a Joni Mitchell QUADIO box set and of course The Eagles but the latter are supposedly opposed to surround for some inexplicable reason.

And NOBODY does it better than RHINO when they put their nose to the grind! Doubtful they'll ever release individual QUADIO BD~As again ...... which I know would sell in spades!

Perhaps the sudden uptick in Surround titles might give then a nudge.

the smattering of largely excellent sounding Warner label Atmos tracks on Apple Music (Donny Hathaway, Tower Of Power, Roberta Flack, Spinners, Aretha, Doors, Wilson Pickett, Jagged Little Pill, En Vogue, Prince, Grover Washington Jr., Ben E. King, Rod Stewart) gives me the teeniest glimmer of hope! 🤞

LET IT BE Blu-ray DTS Master Audio 5.1

It has taken 51 years and the stunningly good 5.1 mix for me to appreciate this album. I just wasn't expecting it. I sat there absolutely spellbound every bit of the way through. Every track without exception sounding better than ever before. Tonally spot on. Wonderful enveloping mixes. The day that Giles and Sam got it right.

That I am thrilled with it is an understatement.

A VERY much deserved 10/10

Is there a poll? I can't find one.

Jakszyk, Fripp & Collins - A Scarcity Of Miracles (DVD-A 5.1)

A-Scarcity-Of-Miracles-cover.jpeg

This has to be the best of the Jakko 5.1 mixes I've heard thus far - the opening track in particular is a surround tour-de-force. Mel Collins' sax pops up right behind your head and even swirls around a bit at times. Front and back harmony vocals ("This House" appears to have different overdubbed vocals in each corner), plus lots of fluid ambient textures that seem to shift between the speakers. It really feels like the music was made to be experienced in this format. My only knock on the mix is that Jakko's vocals are solo'd very dry in the center speaker with barely any support in the other channels.

Beatles -Let It Be , bluray DTS MA 5.1(5.0)

After one listen , I'd say it's one of the best surround Bluray's of The Beatles I've heard.
There is a great deal of activity in the rear channels , some songs are very definitive.

Like Georges's two contributions "I Me Mine " , and "For You Blue" . They rock in surround 5.0.

And John's little pre-tune vocalizations are entertaining.

"Across The Universe" is one of the most anticipated songs in surround , at least by me .
It does not disappoint , but it may have been slowed down? Or so it seems to me.

Best jam song of course is "Get Back" by all 4 , and Billy Preston , all in a super-surround mix.

I only hope "Let It Be" the Beatles last album is not Let It Be!, the end of The Beatles Surround mixes.
(Magical Mystery s/b next, hopefully) :giggle:

20211015_155103.jpg

Back