Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George Benson/Al Jurreau Givin' It Up [Warner/Monster Superdisc/DVD~V DTS 5.1/96/24 Stereo] Awesome pairing on an Exceptional Sounding Disc with Guest Stars Jill Scott, Patti Austin and Sir Paul McCartney!

Image 1 - George Benson & Al Jarreau Givin It Up. DVD Surround & CD Super Disc Set New

Last edited:
The Youngbloods: Get Together: The Youngbloods First Album (1969), in a conversion from quad reel. An early RCA quad mix of the group's rebranded self-titled 1967 debut. The mixes are a grab-bag: some weird, some meh, some interesting. Fabulous tunes, though--yet another one it'd be great to see Dutton clean up.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/youngbloods-get-together-q8-qr.17009/
View attachment 73194
Grizzly Bear on 1st album is loaded with reverb. A hard listen. On hits tape reverb is gone. Easier on the ears. I agree the songs are top notch.

Attachments

• 9843CF92-2AF8-48F1-988D-1D2D34758A8C.jpeg
    9843CF92-2AF8-48F1-988D-1D2D34758A8C.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 36
Patricia Barber CLIQUE! [Impex Records/hybrid Multi~CH SACD/CD Layer MQA encoded] from the startling pluck of Patrick Mulcahy's upright bass, you know you're in for a rare treat from jazz artist extraordinaire Patricia Barber. Mostly covers, CLIQUE was recorded DXD 352.8kHz/32 bit and the 5.1 mix was mastered by Bob Ludwig. If you're a fan, by all means buy this wonderful disc and if not .... why not give it a try?

imxsam8323__27553.1623332661.jpg

This Afternoon.....1973´s albums in random mode (my year):

Billy Cobahn - Spectrum
Pink Floyd - DSOTM
The Who - Quadrophenia
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
Art Garfunkel - Angel Clare
Billy Paul - War Of The Dogs
Chicago - IV
Deodato - 2 and Prelude
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Herbie Hancock - Sextant
Hugo Montenegro - Neil's Diamonds
King Crimson ‎- Larks' Tongues In Aspic
Loggins And Messina - Full Sail
Mike Oldfield ‎– Tubular Bells
Paul Mauriat ‎– Holidays
Rick Wakeman ‎– The Six Wives Of Henry VIII
Rick Derringer ‎– All American Boy
The Doobie Brothers ‎– The Captain And Me
The Guess Who ‎– #10
The Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup

Not bad year

Don't ask me why this is what I'm listening to on an unexpectedly sunny November Saturday, but I'm comparing two versions of Leonard Bernstein's wackily ambitious (and more searchingly ecumenical than downright irreligious) Mass: the first, from 1971, with the composer at the podium, in an absolutely unbeatable conversion from Q8 (though if Michael Dutton still wants to make us a 50th-Anniversary present of this, I'd be all over it!), the other, from 2009, conducted by Kristjan Järvi (SACD 5.0). The Järvi is a great performance and it sounds terrific, and both versions have wonderfully (and appropriately) discrete mixes, but on the whole I prefer the one with the Lenny "aura," rollicking and a little messy.

1636229353329.png
1636229467911.png

Last edited:
Don't ask me why this is what I'm listening to on an unexpectedly sunny November Saturday, but I'm comparing two versions of Leonard Bernstein's wackily ambitious (and more searchingly ecumenical than downright irreligious) Mass: the first, from 1971, with the composer at the podium, in an absolutely unbeatable conversion from Q8 (though if Michael Dutton still wants to make us a 50th-Anniversary present of this, I'd be all over it!), the other, from 2009, conducted by Kristjan Järvi (SACD 5.0). The Järvi is a great performance and it sounds terrific, and both versions have wonderfully (and appropriately) discrete mixes, but on the whole I prefer the one with the Lenny "aura," rollicking and a little messy.

View attachment 73264 View attachment 73265

I have both this and the Kent Nagano 2 disc multi~CH SACD [Harmonia Mundi] set but of course the Bernstein conducted Mass which opened Lincoln Center in 1971 is probably the one to own. Interesting review of the Nagano performance from HRaudio.net:

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=2476#reviews

51BxyGt++pL.jpg

Anthony Braxton, Four Orchestras (1978), in a really good conversion from a clean CD-4 set. Six sides, two hours, not for the faint of heart. That is: it's not exactly the Boston Pops, but it is totally what it says: four orchestras, in four different corners. Conceptually it's pretty cool. And if you're in the right frame of mind, some of the music is, too.
https://www.discogs.com/release/1945094-Anthony-Braxton-For-Four-Orchestrashttps://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/anthony-braxton-for-four-orchestras.27303/
1636247853554.png

And now after Birds
Billy Cobham Spectrum
Thank you AF for this unreleased quad (except for the track on the Experience sampler album)
Who did the Quad remix?

maybe Ken Scott?
he recorded the album and is also credited with engineering the remix, plus he's talked about mixing other albums into Quad that similarly never got released, such as Stanley Clarke's 1976 album "School Days".. 🧐🤔

Wild Cherry, Electrified Funk (1975), in a conversion from Q8. Starting my morning with some slick, mindless party funk (and I mean that in the best way!). And a few other tunes, too. One of those wonderfully discrete, late Columbia mixes.

View attachment 73189

i pray 🙏 that one day this Surroundily sexy super scarce title from the dying days of CBS' Quad programme in 1977 will be reissued on a modern format so everyone can hear just how funkily fookin' fantastic it is in Multichannel!!

baby don't you know! come on! 🥳 baby don't you know!! uh huh 🤩 baby don't you know that the honky's got soul! 😋 woah yeah that's the good stuff right there my lovelies 🍒 💋 🥰

Back