Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rimsky-Korsakov, The Invisible City of Kitezh and other works (Vox Turnabout SQ LP, 1977), in a software-decode conversion. My source claims that sometime in 1977, Vox quietly switched from QS encoding to SQ without marking the change on its record jackets or labels. I'm not qualified to judge, but the decode--which may actually be from a Vox Box CD reissue--sounds convincing. I wasn't previously familiar with any of these pieces, which I like well enough.

1636678610645.png

Diana Ross & The Supremes with The Temptations, TCB (original television soundtrack), in a conversion from Japanese CD-4. The mixes don't always sound very quaddy, and the program itself is pretty cheesy--a function of how the whole thing was being a pitched at a prime-time audience at that particular moment, no doubt. Still an interesting curiosity.

1636738664319.png

Chicago IX BD
Message From a Drum - Redbone SQ Essential!
Fennell conducts Leroy Anderson 3ch SACD
To Our Children's, Children's Children - Moody Blues SACD
Toulouse Street - Doobie Brothers BD

more Supreme Jazz great music, poor surround:
Thelonius Monk
Cannonball Adderley
Nat King Cole

Last edited:
With the passing of Graeme Edge its been nonstop Moody Blues yesterday n today

A Question of Balance sacd
On the Threshold of a Dream sacd
Every Good Boy Deserves Favor sacd
To our Children s Children Children sacd
Seventh Sojourn sacd
DOFP Dvdv 5.1 50th anniversary set
In Search of the Lost Chord Dvdv 50th 5.1

I play them all in Quad mode w ctr n sub off

RIP Mr Edge & Moody Blues your music will live on forever 💘

Stravinsky while u work: Music for Violin, vol. 2 (Ilya Gringolts et al.), FLAC 5.0 (also available on SACD); Oedipus Rex and Les Noces (Mariinsky Orchestra, Valery Gergiev), SACD 5.0 (also available as a DSD download).
The first is standard-issue BIS, which is to say: medium-to-big ambiance in the rears. Ditto for the second (my first experience with Mariinsky). I like the violin pieces better than the vocal ones.
https://bis.se/performers/gringolts-ilya/stravinsky-music-for-violin-vol-2https://www.nativedsd.com/product/mar0510-stravinsky-oedipus-rex-les-noces/

Well Dave was right (and duh!) this is much better sounding than the DTS CD version from 2000 (a slight improvement in sound -LOL)
Took me years just to get around to ripping this one for some reason 😖

View attachment 73444
This was one I purchased way back when I probably had less than 20 titles. :)

soaking up some Quad goodness before it appears on SACD, hopefully VERY soon.. but, til then, THIS will have to suffice...
an SQ conversion done in 2010 by some member whose initials are "knk"(Kinky???).. to be honest, this is the best sounding conversion I have EVER heard of this...not just blowing sunshine up....
R-1866276-1455678368-4141.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Buddy Miles Band, Chapter VII (1973), in a good conversion from Q8. It wouldn't be high on my list, but: surely it's occurred to Dutton that this would make a nice complement to Booger Bear? (I think this is the better album of the two.)

View attachment 73393

think it might not be/have been available at the time for licensing as in print on CD in the UK?

Wait, what? Getting up at 2PM? Could be a job sort of thing..... :)

Well when working i most recently was 2nd shift but just quit cuz they wanted to "discipline" me for not having the correct pro-nouns...so i in essence told them to discipline this (big middle finger)

N yeah was chilly this AM so laid in bed sipping coffee n reading

Back