Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mavericks, The Mavericks (DVD-A, 2003). I thought I liked Trampoline better, but now I'm not so sure. This is some mighty fine latter-day countrypolitan, with a guest spot from Willie Nelson and a more than workmanlike mix from Rich Fowler. Finishes strong, with a dynamite cover of the Hollies' "The Air That I Breathe." (Inspired by k. d. lang, maybe?) One of the better Silverlines, surely.

1637376725757.png

Yes 4ears VII is somewhat unique.
What if Chicago had continued in a jazzy direction instead of ballads and MOR?

Actually, as the album progresses it is a perfect blend of jazz, ballads and MOR and it's nice to have a 2 disc set, uninterrupted, on a single BD~A @ 192/24 resolution. Now if we could only get RHINO to issue some more of their former QUADRADISCS as PURE AUDIO BD~As ......

Toy Matinee, Toy Matinee (DVD-A version). A friend lent me this; I totally missed TM when they had their moment. Fascinating band (basing that on their Wikipedia page) who crafted smart pop songs with sophisticated arrangements. Excellent Elliot Scheiner mix. I don't find the sound or the production all that "dated," really, and although I don't have a history or an emotional investment in this album, I can see it growing on me if I made time for repeated listens.

1637459847291.png

Last edited:
Back