Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had that issue with scopes going dim. There are folks here that can provide more guidance on scope repair issues. Many times, there are other issues in addition to or instead of bad CRT. Corroded connections or internal components that need to be replaced.

If it is the CRT, 4400 has a small display, so I suspect that you may have issues finding a new tube. It may be the same CRT that were used in the Marantz 19 tuner w/scope. Not sure, though.

Biggest challenge will be that Marantz has changed ownership several times. I believe it is still part of Philips' Denon division. Also realize that the manufacturer has long ago run beyond the period of supplying parts for that piece.

We had Pioneer scope w/test tone gen on display in the store. Currently am using Technics, and have had 4400. Marantz 4400 is one convenient unit, though I do prefer the Technics or Pioneer outboard units, due to larger displays.

I still have a Marantz Quad on our 5th sys at home. SQA2b, Wood Case and RC-4 remote, too.

I do understand your plight with soft passages getting lost. Loudness contour and fiddling with the tone controls are the closest you can come to a more compressed sound with the 4400. Sounds like that's what you're asking for.

Classical music and some flavors of rock have a much wider dynamic range (from a whisper to a scream.) Most other genres, not as much. In a concert hall, many classical pieces come alive as much because of dynamic range as anything else. Most modern classical recordings take advantage of that and assume that you'll want that openness, rather than compression.

I thought I read some years ago that there is a Russian made CRT that will fit the 4400. Something to research.
I have one of these Marantz units and I keep the scope switched off to preserve it. Someday I would like to get my unit restored I get almost no front left channel on phono setting and there are other issues but the Varimax still works.

A trippilicious and surrounderful audio/visual experience!
1661881451389.png
Cornelius Mellow Waves Visuals
Only 7 votes on our 10.0 poll
thread . . . mad LOVE to @elmer for turning me on to Cornelius!

https://www.discogs.com/release/14471022-Cornelius-Mellow-Waves-Visuals

Last edited:
This morning I am playing Carmina Burana, Michael Tilson Thomas conducting the Cleaveland Orchestra in SQ. The separation is very good. My O-scope shows nothing but good separation. However, unlike my usual genre of Jazz, classical music has more dramatic high and low volume passages that high light my breakfast cereal sounds (snap, crackle and pop). I guess the first thing is a better disc cleaner and then I will have to find a way to digitize my library. But, there are only so many hours in the day.

But, I'm finding that I cannot concentrate on work related issues with Carmina Burana so I switched over to John Coltrane's Blue Trane in stereo but the Vari-Matrix setting on the Marantz 4400 is doing a decent job of simulating the Quad.
Gotta love that opening piece’s ode to a fish casserole.

“Oh, for Tuna!”

I met up with Martin Russell yesterday at his studio (and dropped him off his copy of Mary Fahl's new album) and wondering what to listen to today I decided to revisit Dorothee Munyaneza - Dorothee Munyaneza, it's a really beautiful album, I ended up playing it twice!
DorotheeMunyanezaDorothee68860_f.jpg

Still available as a CD & 5.1 DVD-Audio Bandcamp
& on IAA Dorothee Munyaneza | IAA
Edit: It's also available from Martin's Luminary Records at £10 inc. P&P to anywhere in the world! Luminary Records - 5.1 surround music shop

Last edited:
Today, I'm doing Spaced-Out Bach (QuadraDisc CD-4) by Joseph Payne, Harpsichordist. It works well. I was waiting for some longer cables and just hooked up the CD-4 decoder. Very nice separation. Sinfonia to Cantata No. 29, Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue in D Minor (my favorite), Fugue in G Minor (the Great), Fugue in G Minor (the Little), Allegro from Trio Sonata No. 5 in C, Prelude and Fugue No. 1 in C from the Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1, Contrapunctus No. 9 from the Art of the Fugue, Contrapunctus No. 16 from the Art of the Fugue, Fugue a la gigue.
I'm not really a classical guy, but I like some things like this recording.

Auli Latvju Zime Rotaties Atmos MKV DL. I just made a blu ray form the files.
Nice mixes indeed. Great music, lovely vocals, although I would really like them in English. My 4th Auli album DL.

Back