Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unusually/exceptionally/ordinarily Mr.Scheiner "nails it" for me time and again in surround.. but Guzauski's 5.1 mix has the low whisper vocal licked on this track in particular (to my lugholes) but i have to say i am torn from track to track on the 2 differing 5.1's of 461 OB and ultimately am so glad we have two surround renditions to pick and chose from to make
one's own 'ultimate' surround version of this classic album.. what a luxury! :love:

I've been tempted to pick up a copy just to get another perspective on the performance...it is a wonderful album. Guzauski's Layla mix did not impress me at all, but his Back Home 5.1 on DVD-A dualdisc was actually pretty solid.

Maybe there's some way to sort of do a frankenstein combo of both by patching Guzauski's center channel into ES's mix! Blasphemy I know, but could be interesting...

I've been tempted to pick up a copy just to get another perspective on the performance...it is a wonderful album. Guzauski's Layla mix did not impress me at all, but his Back Home 5.1 on DVD-A dualdisc was actually pretty solid.

Maybe there's some way to sort of do a frankenstein combo of both by patching Guzauski's center channel into ES's mix! Blasphemy I know, but could be interesting...

Mick Guzauski has had a somewhat interesting 'little' surround side-career (in amongst his overarching general career..) in that he mixed a Quad or two (Chuck Mangione's "Bellavia" initially comes to mind) and anecdotally at least afaik, mixed some longed-for unreleased 5.1 stuff (MJ's "Thriller").. but he also did Claptons' "Reptile" & "Back Home" in surround, both of which I love in 5.1, on DVD-A & DualDisc respectively.. plus he delivered inconsistent/imperfect yet totally serviceable 5.1's of EC's 461 OB & Layla.. isn't it all fascinating how this surround stuff comes to pass! :unsure: :giggle:

...anecdotally at least afaik, mixed some longed-for unreleased 5.1 stuff (MJ's "Thriller")..

Ooh interesting...I read in an old thread here Frank Filipetti got a shot at that one too, along with several other mixers. Apparently MJ wasn't satisfied with any of the various attempts.

update- a quick google search yielded this: https://www.mixonline.com/recording/mick-guzauski-365129

...and this: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/wanna-hear-thriller-in-5-1-too-bad-for-now.257252/

Last edited:
Ooh interesting...I read in an old thread here Frank Filipetti got a shot at that one too, along with several other mixers. Apparently MJ wasn't satisfied with any of the various attempts.

update- a quick google search yielded this: https://www.mixonline.com/recording/mick-guzauski-365129

...and this: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/wanna-hear-thriller-in-5-1-too-bad-for-now.257252/

yes indeedy! that's one wee trail to the tale.. and here's the thing, Mr.Hoffman himself has said (in years gone by on his very own forum) that there are as many unreleased surround mixes in the proverbial vault as there are released.

now that, for me, is as good as it gets wrt intelligence.. he knows the truth and has vaguely relayed it, in passing, on his very own forum.

if we think of the rumoured Quad/5.1 surround mixes we do know something/anything about..
and then broaden our horizons beyond that, we may just scratch the surface as to what actually may have been mixed in Quad/5.1 the last 48 or so years.. :unsure:

I was on Amazon a couple of weeks ago searching Dualdisc. I came across a listing of Brimstone Butterfly - Normality Killed The Cat. I came to the site to see what I could find out about it. I saw that Fredblue had purchased it in one of his posts but that was pretty much it. I went to youtube and listened to the first song. I figured for ten bucks, why not. I finally had a chance to listen to it today at a medium to loud volume. I was pleasantly surprised at how it sounded. In the first 30 seconds of track one they pan the song around you.The vocals are mainly in the center channel with harmonies around the listening area. I liked the way they did the surround mix. I want to know if anyone else has this and if they liked it. I somehow never realized it existed.

I was on Amazon a couple of weeks ago searching Dualdisc. I came across a listing of Brimstone Butterfly - Normality Killed The Cat. I came to the site to see what I could find out about it. I saw that Fredblue had purchased it in one of his posts but that was pretty much it. I went to youtube and listened to the first song. I figured for ten bucks, why not. I finally had a chance to listen to it today at a medium to loud volume. I was pleasantly surprised at how it sounded. In the first 30 seconds of track one they pan the song around you.The vocals are mainly in the center channel with harmonies around the listening area. I liked the way they did the surround mix. I want to know if anyone else has this and if they liked it. I somehow never realized it existed.
Have it, like it a lot! I got it early in my multichannel hunting days, as a low cost well respected title.

397947c9d4c8e9ee4c8da3ff95a6023a.jpg

Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birdsong At Morning - Signs and Wonders
...back at this one this evening. As a big SuperTramp fan, I’m still having a hard time wrapping my head around this version of The Logical Song, but I’m working on it :unsure:. Rest of it is so easily likeable. Almost a new music genre, progpop ;)

Listening now to 5.1 PCM 96Khz, at 60.db, Blues Traveler Truth Be Told DVD-A. Definately front loaded, lets call it big stereo sound filling room. Menu and lyrics are great, plus they have a selection called "All About DVD Audio". Somebody from QQ suggested this disc, got it for 10 bucks. Glad I have it. I saw them once at Laguna Seca with The Allman Brothers Band.
61VKce4yTPL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

I think every body knows I am not really a Prog Rock guy and last year was the Prog Rock year for surround whereas this year is the Rock year for surround.
Listening now to, all I can say is thanks to QQ, I love XTC, are they prog rock or something else, anyway. Would have never got into XTC, Marillion, etc if not for QQ.
The Black Sea Blu Ray 5.1, DTS HD MSTR 96Khz at 69db, love it.
12625.jpg

Last edited:
Back