Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL! Yeah, she's another great one in terms of vocals. Good stuff...

was just reading about her life story, tragic even by Country music standards, ripped off big time and shrugging off her money problems, the poor woman survives all that only to die horribly in a somewhat bizarre set of circumstances that conspire against her, at just 58, on the way to a big gig.. wow.. one of the most interesting "new" (on me) voices i've heard in some time, she's pushing it so its in a constant state of near strain, interesting 'technique', adds a bit of grit to the performance, that plus sounds like she might've enjoyed the odd Marlboro or 40.. :smokin

More Sunday afternoon chill out grooves.

DIG
Boz Scaggs

This is one of my all time favourite releases.
If you ain't got this one folks, then wassup.
Every track just seamlessly rolls on after one another, in utter listening pleasure.

Discogs info:
https://www.discogs.com/Boz-Scaggs-Dig-/release/7374004

I keep miss reading the title of track 5!!;)

Ya know beerking … I even eventually learned to really like "Get On The Snatch", it's so different for ol' Boz:ROFLMAO:

was just reading about her life story, tragic even by Country music standards, ripped off big time and shrugging off her money problems, the poor woman survives all that only to die horribly in a somewhat bizarre set of circumstances that conspire against her, at just 58, on the way to a big gig.. wow.. one of the most interesting "new" (on me) voices i've heard in some time, she's pushing it so its in a constant state of near strain, interesting 'technique', adds a bit of grit to the performance, that plus sounds like she might've enjoyed the odd Marlboro or 40.. :smokin

Well, that's why Hollywood has so many Country singer tragedy type films .

Loretta Lynn , Johnny Cash , Patsy Cline.....the list goes on and on.

Not this Roxy but the "foist one"

Roxy Music - Roxy Music

I never was a big fan of their first album , but listening to it in surround makes all the difference in the world .
Those SHF surround naysayers haven't a clue what they're missing (stuck in stereo )

SW 's surround mix opens up new highlights with the songs I thought I'd already heard .
All I can do is say ;

More please !

Much more from that catalog please . :)

Attachments

• 20190104_182251.jpg
    20190104_182251.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 115
For pupster ;

I used a bit of.........pretzel logic ?........

Nice work fizzy!!! - too bad though, I've dreamed of that one in surround for so long, my fav Walsh album (Got the LP, Japanese SHM & the SACD), & I actually believe the SHM gives the SACD a run for its money!
Cranked up this album hits like a mountain gorilla with its balls on fire:whistle::LOL:

Not this Roxy but the "foist one"

Roxy Music - Roxy Music

I never was a big fan of their first album , but listening to it in surround makes all the difference in the world .
Those SHF surround naysayers haven't a clue what they're missing (stuck in stereo )

SW 's surround mix opens up new highlights with the songs I thought I'd already heard .
All I can do is say ;

More please !

Much more from that catalog please . :)

It's the first one, that I constantly bored peeps to death with trying to get them onto the Roxy bandwagon. So groundbreakin way back when I was, cough, just a bit younger!!. Bloody hell that's 1972!! I will say this very quietly.. 47 yrs ago. I started full time work that year.😜

Nice work fizzy!!! - too bad though, I've dreamed of that one in surround for so long, my fav Walsh album (Got the LP, Japanese SHM & the SACD), & I actually believe the SHM gives the SACD a run for its money!
Cranked up this album hits like a mountain gorilla with its balls on fire:whistle::LOL:

Well, hold on to what you got pupster.

You just never know !

Oh and my vinyl has a comment imprinted on the runout......."That's not a banana , that's my nose " .

It's the first one, that I constantly bored peeps to death with trying to get them onto the Roxy bandwagon. So groundbreakin way back when I was, cough, just a bit younger!!. Bloody hell that's 1972!! I will say this very quietly.. 47 yrs ago. I started full time work that year.😜

Same year I started full time job..........right out of higher education . :smokin

And Roxy well that came a year or two later , but quad collecting was about a year later maybe less .
Something about my first Roxy Music record , (For your Pleasure ?) , said they had more and better to come ......so I had to get em all, plus Bryan Ferry's solos .
Always found Roxy Music kinda overlooked as compared to say...Bowie .

Now we have a handful of surround Bowies out , tis time for all those Roxy 's ...this ol' git thinks so anyways.

Same year I started full time job..........right out of higher education . :smokin

And Roxy well that came a year or two later , but quad collecting was about a year later maybe less .
Something about my first Roxy Music record , (For your Pleasure ?) , said they had more and better to come ......so I had to get em all, plus Bryan Ferry's solos .
Always found Roxy Music kinda overlooked as compared to say...Bowie .

Now we have a handful of surround Bowies out , tis time for all those Roxy 's ...this ol' git thinks so anyways.

What's this edumacation you on about!!:)
As Roxy are my second all time fav group to ELO, I could not agree with you any more.. too much out there that needs to be released for the full mix it was meant for...imo

blackblue_sq.jpg

I picked this up at a record store yesterday afternoon- the place is absolutely loaded with quad LPs, I counted almost 20 (!). It looks as if someone traded in their entire quad collection to this one store. Quite a bit of soul stuff, which doesn't show up too often- I saw one of the Billy Pauls, one of the MFSBs, and both of the live albums (O'Jays and Billy Paul). Unfortunately they're being offered at highly inflated prices. Relatively common stuff you could grab on Discogs or eBay in the $10-20 range is there for like $35-50. Really aggravating. This was marked at $25 and I managed to talk them down to like $18. Probably could've found it online for less, but now I don't have to wait and the vinyl in very good shape.

This is another one of those flashy hyperactive PIR quad mixes- it reminds me a lot of the quad treatment on the O'Jays' Ship Ahoy. The results through the Tate are absolutely stunning. As with most PIR quads, the group backing vocals are isolated in the rears with the lead upfront. Horns and strings are generally in the rears as well. Sometimes the vocals trade off between the front channels (most notably on "It All Depends On You"), like on the Chicago and Loggins & Messina quads.

But here's where it gets really fun: the backing vocals often circle or zig-zag around the room ("I lost it...sorry I lost it", "is there a place for me", etc). Absolutely awesome. The decoding is so good you can actually "see" the panning effects in the decoded waveforms.

"The Love I Lost"
02.jpg

"Is There A Place For Me"
06.jpg

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes' other quad release, Wake Up Everybody, was never released in a discrete format (only SQ-encoded vinyl). We know the master still exists because the title track appears in discrete form on AF's The Collection SACD. Seems perfect for a DV two-fer, no?

Last edited:
Back