Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another Surround Master session for a quiet Sunday morning. Lots of harp swirling around the room. Beautiful music in the same vein of Lord of Lords.

Alice Coltrane - World Galaxy (1972) Impulse QS encoded CD

R-385859-1453386258-8431.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Well I had a good conclusion to the night with this stellar live performance by Santana .

Santana -Lotus ....Quad mix with 7 bonus tracks . also the SQ quad encoded cd .

Although not as great sounding as the SQ encoded quad album and cd , there are times when something like a guitar solo wavers over to the rear channels . Not too often , but it does occur .
Kinda rare that the matrix encode bests the discrete .
20180818_175901.jpg

I'm truly blown away by how amazing these QS encoded Black Jazz CDs sound decoded. I have all their Quad titles and I'm happy I took the time to hunt them down.

Currently playing:

Cleveland Eaton - Plenty Good Eaton (1975)

A superb mix of Funk, Soul, and Jazz. Track 6, All Your Lover, All Day, All Night is basically a jam variation of Papa Was a Rolling Stone. Interesting.

R-2007707-1288811093.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
And now, for something a bit more out there. Imagine if Hunter S. Thompson had recorded a Jazzy/Bluesy Rock album.

Howard Roberts - Antelope Freeway (1971) Impulse QS encoded CD

If you enjoy Santana, then check out the tracks The Ballad of Fazio Needlepoint and Roadwork. Excellent!

I've never seen it suggested that this one was a single-inventory QS title, I thought the only Howard Roberts quad was 1974's Equinox Express Elevator? As far as I know, Impulse! didn't get in to quad until 1972 and this was released in 1971 - is there any mention anywhere of it being quad? It may just be one of those albums with a lot of phase-related information that QS decoding does (unintentional) stuff with.

I've never seen it suggested that this one was a single-inventory QS title, I thought the only Howard Roberts quad was 1974's Equinox Express Elevator? As far as I know, Impulse! didn't get in to quad until 1972 and this was released in 1971 - is there any mention anywhere of it being quad? It may just be one of those albums with a lot of phase-related information that QS decoding does (unintentional) stuff with.

My apologies if this is indeed the result of the QS decoding on a regular Stereo album. Although I had seen the date of 1971, I didn't think it odd as albums recorded in the late 60's have had Quad releases.

I will say that if it is not Quad encoded that it fooled me as I was quite impressed with the end result.

Again, my apologies. I had not intention if making false claims.

I'm truly blown away by how amazing these QS encoded Black Jazz CDs sound decoded. I have all their Quad titles and I'm happy I took the time to hunt them down.

Currently playing:

Cleveland Eaton - Plenty Good Eaton (1975)

A superb mix of Funk, Soul, and Jazz. Track 6, All Your Lover, All Day, All Night is basically a jam variation of Papa Was a Rolling Stone. Interesting.

View attachment 34404

I agree, Simon. Those Japanese pressed QS encoded Black Jazz /Snow Dog Records CDs are superb and some are still available rather inexpensively from ImportCD: https://www.importcds.com/plenty-good-eaton/4526180117261

Back