Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you play the whole thing yet? It's chock full of demo songs- my faves are "Sagebrush" (as mentioned), "Bitter Blue", "Just Call My Name", and "Angel". Though really everything is pretty awesome :)

One of my fave discs EVER.
Great mixes throughout, but I tend to like the music and fidelity of Cantamos a little more than Seven... favorites include tracks 1, 3, Bitter Blue, and track 9 (I’m not at home and can’t remember the names lol). Drivin Wheel is pretty fun too! I’m definitely spending more time with this one... these guys sound so much like the Eagles... if only we could hear their albums mixed like this!

George Benson, Body Talk. Vocalion 4.0 Played via JRiver HDMI out PCM 176.4Khz at 40db. Great mix in surround and great music, JAZZ.
8548k.jpg

George Benson, Body Talk. Vocalion 4.0 Played via JRiver HDMI out PCM 176.4Khz at 40db. Great mix in surround and great music, JAZZ.
View attachment 35817
I’m just curious... do you hear a difference between SACDs ripped at 176kHz vs. 88kHz? (I’ve been ripping at 88kHz for 2 years now, so I hope your answer is “no”, lol)

I’m just curious... do you hear a difference between SACDs ripped at 176kHz vs. 88kHz? (I’ve been ripping at 88kHz for 2 years now, so I hope your answer is “no”, lol)

Probably a great question for the super smart which I am not. I am asking myself that now as I think they sound a little better after ripped. I read some where that a digital file has to go through less to make it out the speaker. Am I in placebo mode now? In regards to this disc, I can analyze the audio with JRiver and the Dynamic range for the 5 tracks are 12,12,13,12,14. Pretty good also.
Hope that helps, best I can do.

these guys sound so much like the Eagles... if only we could hear their albums mixed like this!

Don't know if you've heard the two Eagles quads (On The Border, One Of These Nights), but they actually are mixed in a similar fashion. Drums up front, rhythm guitars in each rear speaker, vocal harmonies in the rears. I'd kill to hear those with fidelity as good as that Poco set- the On The Border Q8 (orange shell) is the sonically one of the worst carts in my collection.

Billy Paul, Live In Europe Vocalion 4.0 Played via JRiver HDMI out PCM 176.4Khz at 40db. sort of OK mix in surround and great music, SOUL. Mr Philadelphia. DR 5track list, 15,14,12,14,13.
It's OK, but live albums just don't do well in surround. EDIT: Actually for a LIVE album in surround it is very good.
Leaving in 20 mins to go blow my brains and ears out with Ozzy at Shoreline. 49ers at Levis Stadium tomorrow, I'm gonna be a wreck on Monday.
8546k.jpg

Last edited:
U2 ‎– U2360° At The Rose Bowl (DTS 5.1)

$3 in the used bins today and I'm a sucker for anything in the DVDA Super Jewel box. Reminds me why after seeing the Stones and Pink Floyd in the 90's, that stadiums are kinda lame. The energy is there but when Mick is the size of a peanut it kind of takes away from your personal experience regardless of the 'trip'.

R-3861245-1399062331-3229.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Okay ladies and gentlemen, a little curve ball for you.

I'm currently listening to the Blu ray 'Galvany Street' by Booka Shade, through Dolby Atmos.

I've just upgraded my speakers, to an 11.1 format, utilising 30 yr old Wharfdale's for the surround back.

The amp is a Marantz 8012.

I know its not everyone's musical taste but believe me the surround is to die for.

If you are fortunate enough to have this speaker set up (and I was a doubter for a long time), please give it a spin. My head is in overdrive with all them speakers being used to their fullest extent.

I will put on record that this is pure surround heaven.

And if more artists could embrace this genre then, I for one, will happily give them my hard earn't cash.

I do have other releases, after reading the advice from a previous post. But imo this is the one to show how surround can really be heard in this format.

After hammering my ears with 'Imagine' and now this beauty I can honestly say this has been one of the best musical weekends I've had in a while.

I'm currently listening to the Blu ray 'Galvany Street' by Booka Shade, through Dolby Atmos.

I've just upgraded my speakers, to an 11.1 format, utilising 30 yr old Wharfdale's for the surround back.

I know its not everyone's musical taste but believe me the surround is to die for.

If you are fortunate enough to have this speaker set up (and I was a doubter for a long time), please give it a spin. My head is in overdrive with all them speakers being used to their fullest extent.

And if more artists could embrace this genre then, I for one, will happily give them my hard earn't cash.

Booka Shade’s BD-A is awesome! I listen in 5.1 but it’s still pure surround heaven...even if it’s not 11th heaven. WOW! :love:

I do have other releases, after reading the advice from a previous post. But imo this is the one to show how surround can really be heard in this format.

After hammering my ears with 'Imagine' and now this beauty I can honestly say this has been one of the best musical weekends I've had in a while.
Best deal on it?

I have a new 7.1.4 system with Auro and Atmos waiting for me at home, so Galvany needs to be on my list.

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk
I have a new 7.1.4 system with Auro and Atmos waiting for me at home, so Galvany needs to be on my list.

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

When is the tour up?

You will deff need this to fully enjoy your new set up.

Back