Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just a little warmup before i get back into the new batch
(for the gazillionth time already!)

Multichannel .🎼
Flutes. 🎷
Strings.. 🎻
and..
err Bassoons! 🎺

or was it bazooma's? 🍐🍐
no! bazookas! 🍆🍆
bananas!! 🍌🍌🍌

bazinga!! 🤣
its MFSB's Philadelphia Freedom! i love love love it! yes i doooooo 🥳

I listened to some on YouTube awhile ago but it didn't grab me. I'll give it another try. Thanks !

anytime! 👍 for me its (another) one of those 70's albums that i found to be greatly enhanced by being in multichannel, not least since the mix is so engaging it draws you deeper into the music.

People have complained about buried vocals. I'm wondering if setting the center channel to "none" would help?
To be honest, i am still trying to figure it out, trusting my gut and my ears, I am in the same place I was in before. I like the mix, it is the overall fidelity that I have trouble with. I want it to be brighter, it lacks punch and seems kind of muddy, but I am certainly no expert.

I feel MJD at D-V would have done a better job on the Loggins and Messina titles.

could be Mister Pupster, dunno? 🤷‍♀️ tbh i'm just happy to get any Quad releases from anyone ever (!) and if they get superceded by some other blokies who top it down the line even better! 🤩 i'd dearly love DV to do the other L&M Quad ("Native Sons") as the surround mix is fantastic but it'd probably be a tougher sell as a 1 title disc, i dunno? 🤷‍♀️

could be Mister Pupster, dunno? 🤷‍♀️ tbh i'm just happy to get any Quad releases from anyone ever (!) and if they get superceded by some other blokies who top it down the line even better! 🤩 i'd dearly love DV to do the other L&M Quad ("Native Sons") as the surround mix is fantastic but it'd probably be a tougher sell as a 1 title disc, i dunno? 🤷‍♀️
Of course your right (you're Freddie after all :love:) onward we go with all those lovely Four Tops and Rufus titles :p

:QQlove

The Isley Brothers - "3+3" 5.1 (really quad) SACD - spent some time following some of the QQer recommendations last night and settled on swapping the rear channels and raising the rears by 2-3dB depending on the song, then lowering all the channels by 3dB... this sounds great now! I hope D-V gets a chance to release this one properly (one of the songs, "What It Comes Down To", is missing a chunk of the rear channels at the beginning of the song!)

The O'Jays - "Ship Ahoy" 5.1 (really quad) SACD- This is fantastic! I especially love the song "Ship Ahoy", with some excellent surround "sailing at sea" effects, and the vocals on "Don't Call Me Brother" (that baritone is awesome)
Hey, I just read elsewhere that I should swap the rear channels on this disc as well. Does that seem right? It sounds so good, but I guess I'll try it...

The Isley Brothers - "3+3" 5.1 (really quad) SACD - spent some time following some of the QQer recommendations last night and settled on swapping the rear channels and raising the rears by 2-3dB depending on the song, then lowering all the channels by 3dB... this sounds great now! I hope D-V gets a chance to release this one properly (one of the songs, "What It Comes Down To", is missing a chunk of the rear channels at the beginning of the song!)

not sure if any of my old ramblings were amongst the QQ discussions you read about this one Sean, so I may well be repeating the gist of that old waffle.. but fwiw i used to think the Rears were assigned the wrong way around on the SACD.. however after comparing the SACD to the old SQ LP decoded through the Surround Master it seemed maybe those diagonal pans were intentional after all because the SQ was arranged the same as the SACD.. and later in time @steelydave ascertained from PIR’s main Quad man Arthur Stoppe that diagonal Quad pans were indeed ‘a thing’ with CBS, so as to create a ‘phantom centre of the room’ position (something that couldn’t be done with the SQ system as all 4 channels blasting out the same thing at the same time would all cancel each other out!).

some of the channel balances on the SACD did feel a bit wonky in places but i think that’s the way of the mix rather than any major tinkering by Sony for their SACD release.. still not sure, could be they futzed with it like they did all the others..

still, in my wildest fantasies i’d love a Vocalion Quadio Isley set of all 4 that saw release back in the day, including 3+3, Live It Up, Harvest For The World, Go For Your Guns.. that would be Epic! ..and if DV can unearth that rogue 5th one, The Heat Is On, a Quad given catalogue numbers on SQ LP and Q8 cartridge and yet a copy has seemingly never surfaced anywhere, neither an SQ LP nor a Q8 in what is it now 45 years.. well we may see Pink Floyd piggies flying before that one ever materialises but i’d be chuffed to be proven wrong and the Wizard finds it while tomb raiding!! 😂

Hey, I just read elsewhere that I should swap the rear channels on this disc as well. Does that seem right? It sounds so good, but I guess I'll try it...

another one i suspected having a case of swapitis! yet no channel swaps are necessary 🙂 if you check out the round the room sweeping pans on ‘For The Love Of Money’, they do a perfect 360 if you leave the channels as is, the diagonals that pop up elsewhere are intentional 👍

Just finished ripping the 5.1 audio 24/48 out of the DVD Metallica The Videos 1989-2004.
Pretty cool.
51y81FqEo-L.jpg

Back