Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Guess Who - Wheatfield Soul/Canned Wheat
SACD Quad (4.0) two-fer
Dutton-Vocalion
FB_IMG_1580070884202.jpg

Listening to Earth, Wind & Fire "Spirit" D-V SACD... fantastic sounding disc! Messing around with the track "Saturday Nite", I increased the Left Rear channel by 3dB and the right front channel by 2dB and it sounds more balanced to me (for what it's worth)... I only share this kind of thing because, well, why not... we all adjust our music to our own liking, whether it's speaker placement, volume level, whatever. :)

Listening to Earth, Wind & Fire "Spirit" D-V SACD... fantastic sounding disc! Messing around with the track "Saturday Nite", I increased the Left Rear channel by 3dB and the right front channel by 2dB and it sounds more balanced to me (for what it's worth)... I only share this kind of thing because, well, why not... we all adjust our music to our own liking, whether it's speaker placement, volume level, whatever. :)

absolutely! why not! if you prefer it that way, “that’s the way..” 👍

tbh i’m an infernal tinkerer yet seldom feel the urge to have a fiddle with these old Quads when DV do them.. time and again i find they’re like the baby bears porridge.. “just right” 😋

still I’ll have a look at those Sprit channels, see what’s goin’ onnnn 🍻

absolutely! why not! if you prefer it that way, “that’s the way..” 👍

tbh i’m an infernal tinkerer yet seldom feel the urge to have a fiddle with these old Quads when DV do them.. time and again i find they’re like the baby bears porridge.. “just right” 😋

still I’ll have a look at those Sprit channels, see what’s goin’ onnnn 🍻
Another track you might check out... "BIYO"... if you boost the left rear a couple of dBs, it seems to bring the guitar solos up to match the sax solos in the front, as well as balance out the horns in the rears. I know, I'm crazy 🤪

Another track you might check out... "BIYO"... if you boost the left rear a couple of dBs, it seems to bring the guitar solos up to match the sax solos in the front, as well as balance out the horns in the rears. I know, I'm crazy 🤪

at the risk of opening up a can of worms, while i’m no scientist or engineer or anything, i’m just a schmuck who listens to a lot of surround, I think it may be partly due to the way we hear and perceive what’s going on around and behind us and how we discern sounds up in front of us differently from sounds emanating from the side and behind the listening position..

..and I find Rears can be the first thing to seem out of whack in a ‘new’ mix i’m trying out for the first time.. so a trick i use to check for imbalances is to take the Rear pair and rack them up in the Front speakers instead (speakers that I know to be balanced and create a solid stereo image with phantom centre no problem) and see how well balanced the Rear pair sound that way.. if they feel skewed off to one side, it’s time to start tinkering!

at the risk of opening up a can of worms, while i’m no scientist or engineer or anything, i’m just a schmuck who listens to a lot of surround, I think it may be partly due to the way we hear and perceive what’s going on around and behind us and how we discern sounds up in front of us differently?

..and I find Rears can be the first thing to seem out of whack in a ‘new’ mix i’m trying out for the first time.. so a trick i use to check for imbalances is to take the Rear pair and rack them up in the Front speakers instead (speakers that I know to be balanced and create a solid stereo image with phantom centre no problem) and see how well balanced the Rear pair sound that way.. if they feel skewed off to one side, it’s time to start tinkering!
Thanks... I'll try that out. Just to re-state what I hoped was obvious, though, I absolutely love this disc and consider it a "must own" for everyone here! So many great tunes and discrete mixes... this Earth Wind & Fire two-fer really could have been split into two separate releases and I would have happily bought them both😁

Thanks... I'll try that out. Just to re-state what I hoped was obvious, though, I absolutely love this disc and consider it a "must own" for everyone here! So many great tunes and discrete mixes... this Earth Wind & Fire two-fer really could have been split into two separate releases and I would have happily bought them both😁

you’re a gem! 🥰 wish you posted more often, i find my head nodding along to your postings about as much as it does to the music! :phones

Back