Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RAVEL ORCHESTRATIONS [TALENT Multichannel SACD]

51rNyl9YlWL._AC_.jpg

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=2970#reviews

I’m grateful that I can still go into some decent music stores near my house. I definitely give them all the support I can. And it’s been great to see these Dutton Vocalion SACDs displayed on their shelves these past several years.

Brett, glad to see that Dutton Vocalion has extended its reach to Japan and on the various worldwide Amazon sites to create an awareness that quality QUAD SACDs still exist and are extremely well priced.....some on par with NEW 'single' RBCDs.

Distressingly, I came across this single offering from US Distributor ImportCD in which they're gouging the customer by offering this D~V Paul Mauriat QUAD SACD two~fer for $35! [D~V List IS £11.99]! ImportCD also has 'erroneously' listed it as an ASIA IMPORT [????]

https://www.importcds.com/el-bimbo-and-toccata-hybrid-sacd-multi-channel/765387462123

Last edited:
Brett, glad to see that Dutton Vocalion has extended its reach to Japan and on the various worldwide Amazon sites to create an awareness that quality QUAD SACDs still exist and are extremely well priced.....some on par with NEW 'single' RBCDs.

Distressingly, I came across this single offering from US Distributor ImportCD in which they're gouging the customer by offering this D~V Paul Mauriat QUAD SACD two~fer for $35! [D~V List IS £11.99]! ImportCD also has 'erroneously' listed it as an ASIA IMPORT [????]

https://www.importcds.com/el-bimbo-and-toccata-hybrid-sacd-multi-channel/765387462123
Very distressing, indeed! :oops: Let‘s hope shoppers are savvy enough to see through scams like that. All the more reason that I’m glad customers to my local shops can see D-V’s SACDs first hand. In my small way, I try to help by buying them at my music stores as much as possible to encourage them to keep stocking these awesome Quad releases.

Very distressing, indeed! :oops: Let‘s hope shoppers are savvy enough to see through scams like that. All the more reason that I’m glad customers to my local shops can see D-V’s SACDs first hand. In my small way, I try to help by buying them at my music stores as much as possible to encourage them to keep stocking these awesome Quad releases.

Am really shocked and somewhat dismayed that US retailers Deep Discount/ImportCD don't stock these D~V QUAD SACDs and sell them at reasonable price levels. The two aforementioned companies do carry a lot of Japanese/Hong Kong SACDs and although prices vary from CDJapan prices, at least they're not out of the ballpark. Unless D~V isn't willing to sell them at 'unreasonable' dealer prices as, IMO, they're already DISCOUNTED.

Dukes of Stratosphere pssurroundabout bluray lpcm 5.1 stream
I've been somewhat familiar with XTC since the early 90's, but they never really floated my boat. 30 years later, they're one of my favorites. Two of the longest gestating bands that at first I didn't care as much for, then later came to love is XTC and Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson.

Dude that I worked with delivering pizzas gave me a copy of Fear of a Blank Planet about 13 years ago and I thought it was interesting, but now The Porcupine Boys is one of my favorite bands ever!

Something I love doing, that I'm doing now, is putting my entire XTC collection (including The Dukes) on random play. 🐸

The music industry really is a mystery, isn’t it! o_O
Listening to these beautiful Quad albums, it makes me wonder why they ever bothered with 5.1, 7.1, etc, etc... ???

Quad had it right... right from the beginning.
There are some amazing quad mixes, but I've definitely heard some 5.1 mixes that actually used the extra center and/or LFE channels to great effect. I can't wait to get the extra four ceiling speakers and a new avr to be able to have Atmos/DTS-X etc.

The music industry really is a mystery, isn’t it! o_O
Listening to these beautiful Quad albums, it makes me wonder why they ever bothered with 5.1, 7.1, etc, etc... ???

Quad had it right... right from the beginning.

Probably to sell MORE amps and speakers, etc. Elliot Scheiner once stated in an interview that 5.1 was MORE THAN SUFFICIENT FOR SURROUND and even questioned the need for a center channel as did Steve Wilson as center channels were mainly incorporated for the dialogue channel in MOTION PICTURES.

Think about it.....if your front and rears MATCH and are positioned [read: imaged] properly, you WILL get a perfect phantom FRONT CENTER and REAR CENTER Channel [for a total of SIX].

My new system will be comprised of FOUR MATCHING Meridian Special Edition DSP8000 Digital Active Loudspeakers in gloss black with each speaker outputting 750 watts of power and each including 6 subwoofers:

See the source image

See the source image

Last edited:
There are some amazing quad mixes, but I've definitely heard some 5.1 mixes that actually used the extra center and/or LFE channels to great effect. I can't wait to get the extra four ceiling speakers and a new avr to be able to have Atmos/DTS-X etc.
I know what you’re saying. I’ve heard some 5.1 mixes that used the center effectively, too. And with ambient classical recordings of large ensembles, the center channel can also help create a better soundstage, especially when singers are involved. But in the balance of things, Quad/stereo’s phantom center is more than adequate.

And in reality, 5.1 has often caused surround mixes to become more front heavy. The 1970s Quad mixes on these D-V albums masterfully handle surround. They are as good and in many cases even better than newer 5.1 mixes.

There is nothing wrong with various approaches, though. Movies have certainly been a driving force in creating new and exciting ways to recreate sounds. I’m sure your Atmos system will sound awesome. And if more people (especially youngsters) can be drawn to surround, then that’s a good thing, too.

Last edited:
Probably to sell MORE amps and speakers, etc. Elliot Scheiner once stated in an interview that 5.1 was MORE THAN SUFFICIENT FOR SURROUND and even questioned the need for a center channel as did Steve Wilson as center channels were mainly incorporated for the dialogue channel in MOTION PICTURES.

Think about it.....if your front and rears MATCH and are positioned [read: imaged] properly, you WILL get a perfect phantom FRONT CENTER and REAR CENTER Channel [for a total of SIX].

My new system will be comprised of FOUR MATCHING Meridian Special Edition DSP8000 Digital Active Loudspeakers in gloss black with each speaker outputting 750 watts of power and each including 6 subwoofers:

See the source image

See the source image
Beautiful, Ralphie! 💕 🥰💕
I bet you can’t wait to hear those (six) babies. Long live the phantom center!!!

Yep, you’ve probably put your finger on it... Money!

I know what you’re saying. I’ve heard some 5.1 mixes that used the center effectively, too. With ambient classical recordings of large ensembles, the center channel can also help create a better soundstage, especially when singers are involved. But in the balance of things, Quad/stereo’s phantom center is more than adequate.

And in reality, 5.1 has often caused surround mixes to become more front heavy. The 1970s Quad mixes on these D-V albums masterfully handle surround. They are as good and in many cases even better than newer 5.1 mixes.

There is nothing wrong with various approaches, though. Movies have certainly been a driving force in creating new and exciting ways to recreate sounds. I’m sure your Atmos system will sound awesome. And if more people (especially youngster) can be drawn to surround, then that’s a good thing, too.

But IF for some reason, Brett, your front three speakers aren't perfectly matched [including electronics/speaker cables], it can wreak havoc with those rare 3 channel recordings, especially vocals [like those Nat King Cole three channels]. I know first hand. In that case, I disengaged the center and voila .... full frontstage throttle restored from left/right fronts...with a perfectly resplendent Nat King Cole's vocals DEAD CENTER!

Dude, just listen carefully to Steve Wilson’s “This Was” and you’ll hear lots of phantom centers and off centers in the sides as well- To Infinity and Beyond!

1581836481402.jpeg

Dude, just listen carefully to Steve Wilson’s “This Was” and you’ll hear lots of phantom centers and off centers in the sides as well- To Infinity and Beyond!

View attachment 46261

This is a GREAT Steve Wilson remix, Pupster DUDE, in 4.1 ....... And a great album to boot! I will never knock those who prefer a center channel but if they don't PERFECTLY MATCH with the Front R/L .....forgetaboutit!

See the source image

No One Can Ever Accuse Me of Being Self~Centered!

And On Behalf of SNOOD :QQlove

See the source image

See the source image

AND TO ALL THE WOMEN I HAVE LO❤ED

See the source image

Happy Belated Valentine's Day 🌹

Last edited:
I've been somewhat familiar with XTC since the early 90's, but they never really floated my boat. 30 years later, they're one of my favorites. Two of the longest gestating bands that at first I didn't care as much for, then later came to love is XTC and Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson.

Dude that I worked with delivering pizzas gave me a copy of Fear of a Blank Planet about 13 years ago and I thought it was interesting, but now The Porcupine Boys is one of my favorite bands ever!

Something I love doing, that I'm doing now, is putting my entire XTC collection (including The Dukes) on random play. 🐸

XTC / dukes is new music to me...never heard of them before venturing into "surround" also new artists to me r herbie hancock, flaming lips, david elias, i had heard of / read about Tomita but had never heard his music...so quite alot of interesting stuff...course i had always been a rock fan....so im mellowing quite a bit lately with the jazz lately

Back