Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally auto-calibrated my Emotiva UMC-200.
This album is sounding AMAZING.
Jeff Beck. Wired. 4.0 SACD.
81PV+UMRpeL._SL1500_.jpg

The comments on this POLL thread nudged me to purchase

View attachment 46638 Ayreon Actual Fantasy Revisited

Interestingly, despite all the chatter on this THREAD

View attachment 46639 Ayreon Into the Electric Castle (A Space Opera)

No POLL exists for it? 'sup with that?
I'm finding it hard to get in to The Source. Electric Castle is highly recommended by quite a few folks. Is it really that much better?

I'm finding it hard to get in to The Source. Electric Castle is highly recommended by quite a few folks. Is it really that much better?
Electric Castle has more of a classic prog rock vibe (Pink Floyd) with a fantasy concept, whereas The Source has a more metal vibe (at least that's my impression)...so far, I loved Electric Castle on first listen, whereas I've tried The Source a couple times but havn't got into it yet.

The comments on this POLL thread nudged me to purchase

View attachment 46638 Ayreon Actual Fantasy Revisited

Interestingly, despite all the chatter on this THREAD

View attachment 46639 Ayreon Into the Electric Castle (A Space Opera)

No POLL exists for it? 'sup with that?
I had never heard of Ayreon until I was skimming thought the QQ polls. I got Actual Fantasy for a delivered price of $12 USD. It is well worth the money.
From what I've seen Electric Castle is only available in a multi-disc box set.
$50 - 150 delivered.
Is there a standalone?

I would say that a first timer starting off with Ayreon should purchase Ayreon Universe, kind of like a greatest hits and the live show has 1 or 2 DVD's to watch which is stunning in theatrical performance and surround sound is fantastic. JanBakker is our resident expert on Ayreon.

ARJEN LUCASSEN TO RELEASE AYREON UNIVERSE March 30th 2018. Ayreon Universe is the best of Ayreon Live - A unique performance featuring 16 singers, 28 songs, 2+ hour performance, 9000+ fans and a special appearance by Arjen Lucassen. All of this captured by 30 cameras! It’s proof that you should never say ‘never’. After creating rock operas in the studio for more than 20 years, prog mastermind Arjen Lucassen, aka Ayreon, finally took his Universe to the stage in September 2017. Three shows sold out within hours after announcing. 9000+ Fans from all corners of the world flocked to the 013 venue in Tilburg, the Netherlands to see this long-awaited show live. This unique performance features 16 singers, 28 songs, an 8 piece band and a special appearance by Arjen. The duration of the show was more than 2 hours. It was filmed with 30 cameras and will be released on DVD and Blu-ray with 5.1 surround audio, with an extensive list of extras, including a behind-the-scenes documentary with interviews with every singer and musician, and a compilation of the try-out show performed a few weeks earlier. Two years in the making, Ayreon Universe is a full on rock extravaganza, featuring songs from all Ayreon albums, including 2017’s ‘The Source’, plus a few fan favorites from Star One. An amazing array of singers appeared on stage to bring the Ayreon Universe to life: Floor Jansen (Nightwish), Damian Wilson (Threshold), Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian), Tommy Karevik (Kamelot), Anneke van Giersbergen (The Gentle Storm), Marco Hietala (Nightwish), Jonas Renkse (Katatonia), Mike Mills (Toehider), Marcela Bovio (Stream of Passion), Irene Jansen, Robert Soeterboek (Star One), John Jaycee Cuijpers (Praying Mantis), Edward Reekers (Kayak), Jay van Feggelen, Maggy Luyten (Nightmare) and Lisette van den Berg (Scarlet Stories). This is the show every Ayreon fan has wanted to see and hear!
61wPsjfNwQL.jpg

Last edited:
Back