Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you can I think its better to keep things in their Native form.
I agree completely. Unless you have a DAC that shows some particular measurable problem handling a format, you not going to improve on the sound of a digital file by messing with it in any way.
Anyway I have to report this is by far the best I have heard Marvin.

I'm really glad to hear that. I've got the DVD version on the way and look forward to hearing this great sound you describe.
I've loved Marvin and Tammy since back in the day. The two saddest stories in MoTown. Tammy died at 24 of brain cancer and Marvin was shot in the head by his own father the day before his 45th birthday. :cry:
May they both RIP

Ok tonight I’m staying the course with the mighty...

King Crimson - Red

1582695639796.jpeg

Outstanding !

Have to say the New Denon Receiver is doing a great job with SACD DSD. Playing Roxy Music: Avalon SACD. This is a great sounding disc, tight bass , plenty of space, thought on my old system sounded harsh but it is now so smooth, maybe the new speakers have something to do with it also.

Attachments

• avalon.jpg
    avalon.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 80
Have to say the New Denon Receiver is doing a great job with SACD DSD. Playing Roxy Music: Avalon SACD. This is a great sounding disc, tight bass , plenty of space, thought on my old system sounded harsh but it is now so smooth, maybe the new speakers have something to do with it also.
Using the same Roxy SACD I tried this with my Yamaha. Set the 5 speakers to full range. Pressed the "pure direct" button on remote control. The AVR reads "DSD direct"
With this setting I believe that the only content going to the subwoofers is LFE.
It definitely sounds different. My surrounds are 8 feet away. The fronts and center are 12 feet away.
I can't set the speaker distances with this setting. That is probably one difference in sound.
Because they are set to full range I can also tell that the speakers are struggling a little with the low frequencies.
Because of all these differences I can't really tell if running straight DSD was an improvement.

Using the same Roxy SACD I tried this with my Yamaha. Set the 5 speakers to full range. Pressed the "pure direct" button on remote control. The AVR reads "DSD direct"
With this setting I believe that the only content going to the subwoofers is LFE.
It definitely sounds different. My surrounds are 8 feet away. The fronts and center are 12 feet away.
I can't set the speaker distances with this setting. That is probably one difference in sound.
Because they are set to full range I can also tell that the speakers are struggling a little with the low frequencies.
Because of all these differences I can't really tell if running straight DSD was an improvement.

Beefalo, are your 5 speakers full range or bookshelf types because you might damage your speakers if they're bookshelf types and set at FULL RANGE.

Running straight DSD with no bass management would the subwoofers still get the LFE content ?

If you sent your player to small [versus full range] and set the SUB to ON, whether you are going DSD or PCM out you should be getting full bass from your subwoofer. Assuming you're using an OPPO player! That's the settings I use in my bedroom's 5.1 system and I get plenty of bass!

LFE content should only come out of the sub one-out. An exception might be if you tell your system you have no sub?
If I have all the speakers set to large (full range) will I still get an LFE signal coming out of the subwoofer outputs on the AVR ?

Back