Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one is like going to church for me

1586109007940.png
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds One More Time With Feeling

as close as we may ever get to hearing Skeleton Tree in 5.1. The documentary is in stereo until the band plays selections from Skeleton Tree, when the soundtrack opens up into 5.1. From the discogs page:

Andrew Dominik's One More Time With Feeling is a remarkable black and white documentary which chronicles the creation of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds' album Skeleton Tree. Originally a performance based concept, the film envolved into something much more significant as Dominik delved into the tragic backdrop of the writing and recording of the album. The result is stark, fragile and raw, and a true testament to an artist trying to find his way through the darkness.

The Who: Tommy is actually pretty darned good (a bit less warm than the Deluxe Edition multi-channel SACD. The Stones is 24/96, not surround; ditto Marvin Gaye.
What's Going On is one of my FLOATS (Favorite Listens Of All Time--Surround). At least I can hear two tracks in surround here

1586122800612.png
Marvin Gaye The Marvin Gaye Collection

POLL

I just 'mused' on another thread why Universal Japan NEVER released any single layered multi~channel SHM~SACDs [with a stereo layer]. With all these Japan only former CD~4 Motown TREASURES ...... WHY NOT?

good question.. back around the time of the Deluxe Edition UMG said they couldn't find the Quad masters for WGO ☹️

since then UMG released the Quads of both Diana Ross' "Last Time I Saw Him" and The Jackson 5's Greatest Hits, albeit agonisingly in Stereo fold-down form only 🤷‍♀️

good question.. back around the time of the Deluxe Edition UMG said they couldn't find the Quad masters for WGO ☹

since then UMG released the Quads of both Diana Ross' "Last Time I Saw Him" and The Jackson 5's Greatest Hits, albeit agonisingly in Stereo fold-down form only 🤷‍♀️

BUMMER! And I thought Universal Japan were better 'caretakers' of their intellectual properties than their U.S. counterparts. BOLLOCKS!

capt_me_DVDA.jpg

I forgot how good this one is! Maybe one of Scheiner's best surround mixes. It's definitely better than the old quad mix (which is fun, but has some kinda odd mixing decisions throughout - like why reduce the drums to mono on some of the songs?). There are isolated bits popping up in the rears here that you couldn't even hear on the quad mix, such as the piano in "China Grove", and "South City Midnight Lady" sounds absolutely gorgeous with the harmony vocals spread out around you (all the vocals are upfront on the quad version). Raised my vote from a "9" to a "10" on the poll :)

View attachment 48806

I forgot how good this one is! Maybe one of Scheiner's best surround mixes. It's definitely better than the old quad mix (which is fun, but has some kinda odd mixing decisions throughout - like why reduce the drums to mono on some of the songs?). There are isolated bits popping up in the rears here that you couldn't even hear on the quad mix, such as the piano in "China Grove", and "South City Midnight Lady" sounds absolutely gorgeous with the harmony vocals spread out around you (all the vocals are upfront on the quad version). Raised my vote from a "9" to a "10" on the poll :)

definitely one of his very best 5.1's, in a résumé that's lets face it pretty stuffed full of highlights as it is.

as great as the old Doobie Quads are (and they are by and large great, i love 'em) having this one in 5.1 makes me wish Rhino had commissioned Elliot Scheiner to do all the Doobies' albums in similar spectacular surround fashion.. because the results are not only top-notch surround but the sound quality's just gorgeous, totally pristine.

oh well, must be happy with what we got, especially in these testing times; a solid Quad and an excellent 5.1 of a bonafide Classic album 🙂

View attachment 48806

Totally agree, Jonathan. Listened to The Captain And Me just last week and was blown away by the mix and the overall fidelity. Plus it just sounds big and warm. Fantastic in every way!

Back