Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
misplaced.jpg

One of my favorite multichannel discoveries! Maybe not SW's craziest surround mix, but it's quite a bit more discrete than a lot of the reviews seem to suggest. Some of the songs have guitar and keyboard overdubs pinned to the back corners ("Heart Of Lothian", "Bitter Suite"), along with double-tracked or backing vocals when they're featured ("Childhood's End", "White Feather"). Others even go so far as to highlight lead parts in the rears - check out the piano transition in the rears from "Blue Angel" to "Misplaced Rendezvous", or the solo section in "Blind Curve" with Steve Rothery's guitar in the rears and Mark Kelly's synth in the center channel. Plus, there's the epic 'wrap-around' drum intro to "Bitter Suite".

My only knock is that the vocals could stand to be a bit more prominent - raising the center channel about 2 dB on my system seems to do it. Otherwise, great stuff! I wish it stayed it print a little longer.

Last edited:
This release is a GREAT value--two 5.1 mixes!

View attachment 48901 Tim Bowness Lost in the Ghost Light (and Stupid Things That Mean the World)

POLL only 4 votes!

One of the other things I collect (besides obscure surround sound music on a variety of dead physical formats) is record store promotional posters and the cover of this album really reminds me of this one:

6780_164098521280_3861709_n.jpg

Dunno if Bowness is a fan of Neil's or not but to me the two images are strikingly similar!

And even more mysterious Adam is the fact that after selling a reportedly million + copies of DSOTM on SACD, CAPITOL Records never released another SACD. AFAIK, to this day, NO hi res multi~ch 5.1 disc has sold that many copies.

i don't think there's any big mystery, PF & DSOTM were on EMI in the UK at that time, it was a release driven by and co-ordinated from the UK, EMI had opted to go with SACD in that timeframe and James Guthrie preferred SACD, so that kinda clears that up.

Mike, probably goes down better with a Brandy and Babycham!

I ordered one from an AmazonUK third party seller with the proviso that if it's NOT a multi~ch SACD, as advertised, please cancel. HOPE IT IS!
Don't think this is as expensive as a Brandy and Babycham was!! :D
You can feel the Pain.....of my wallet refusing to let any light in!! :)

Yes, let's hope so :unsure:

Hope you and all our cousins, over the pond, are OK Ralphie!!
These are unchartered waters, with not necessarily the right Captain, steering us through them.:rolleyes:

Our Captain is in Intensive Care!!
What ever your political persuasions are I, for one, hope Boris pulls through (and no, I'm not a true Blue which is the colour of the Tory party over here)

Last edited:
Back