Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I - along with many, many fellow Melbournians - finish onsite work, and must spend at least the next six weeks at home, while Victoria heals in isolation under declaration of a State Of Disaster. This was confirmed for me (belatedly) by my employer only late yesterday afternoon, and my housemates decided to throw me a commiseration party yesterday evening. Naturally, it included music, and among the discs spun were two surround gems: Porcupine Tree's The Incident DVD-A, and Tears For Fears' Songs From The Big Chair BD-A. :cool:

Feeling slightly dusty this morning, after all that reposado and rye. 😅 Stay safe, everyone!
Aussies stand up or face tyranny. God bless.

1596980009171.png

Wow 15 huh...that's a lot..
I know, I hear you....but I literally could not believe (on my system) how lifeless and without any highs at all. It sounded like one big midrange. And, very mid at that. haha. I tried +10db, but that wasn't quite to my liking. I reduced the overall volumn by -2db across all channels, then raised +15 on treble across the board.

Devin Townsend Empath. What a labor of love, not only do we get 5.1, a bunch of bonus stuff I have not looked at, but there ate visuals for the entire ride; not just static pictures of an album cover or band.

Wow, Indeed. Received this lavish package today from Deep Discount [only $40.75] and was surprised by how gorgeous it is. Will spin the BD~A and watch the doc later this evening. Contains 2 RBCDs and 2 BDs ... one a 5.1 BD~A lossless remix. All discs were securely inserted as well.

81zKJ2FfpML._SL1500_.jpg
81EIkDYDeJL._SL1500_.jpg

Wow, Indeed. Received this lavish package today from Deep Discount [only $40.75] and was surprised by how gorgeous it is. Will spin the BD~A and watch the doc later this evening. Contains 2 RBCDs and 2 BDs ... one a 5.1 BD~A lossless remix. All discs were securely inserted as well.

81zKJ2FfpML._SL1500_.jpg
81EIkDYDeJL._SL1500_.jpg
Try as I might, I’ve never been able to warm up to Devin Townsend. Even going as far back as when he appeared on Steve Vai’s solo album as a teen. I do recognize he’s a pretty badass guitarist and will preview the music on Empath to see if I should buy it. How’s the surround mix?

Have not had time to spin Empath MCH. Watched the 90 minute doc on Dev mixing the song Genesis in 5.1. Wow. He got down to specific speaker placement on notes and loops. I expect vocal heavy in front and everything else all over the place.

*Edit* I should say I have not had time to spin the whole thing yet, just bits.

Last edited:
While I was spinning this wildly discrete and cleverly recorded D~V QUAD SACD from D~V's latest batch of goodies, I was struck by how tame modern recording mixers have become in spreading recordings to the 5.1 channels.

Those 70's remix engineers surely knew what they were doing and of course didn't have the DECODING technology at the time to render their efforts convincingly but in 2020 with pro tools, etc. and lossless mediums to capture every nuance of a recording/surround mix.......it seems, save a few, they're afraid to utilize the rears effectively.

I'm certain, only a handful of QQ posters have ordered and will listen to COMPANY but I can assure you it's AMAZING and an ABSOLUTE TEXTBOOK in SURROUND RECORDING....NEVER gimmicky....and ALWAYS surprising and imparting a you are there sensation of actually being on stage with the original cast of this landmark Sondheim musical.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Back