Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my evening pleasure I'll be SURROUNDING myself with these titles....if you care to join/joint me....come along for the ride :ROFLMAO: Porcupine Tree Arriving Somewhere 5.1 Blu Ray Front Cover.jpgELP 1st Album 5.1 DVD-A Front Cover.jpgDavid Bowie Young Americans 5.1 DVD-V Front Slip Case.jpg:love::ROFLMAO:

a youtube quad live mix using two devices:
24/7 Dark Ambient Music Livestream for Studying Lovecraftian Tomes & Riding the Monorail

on computer to 2 powered monitors, and from the smart phone via bluetooth to yamaha AVR:

Optimum Stasis - Ambient Modular Performance (Hydrasynth , Peak, Bitbox, Assimil8or, Vector)

...now that's living on the edge in experimental surround!

rears
fronts

I can go for hours using playlists too.

Last edited:
I didn't know that Bowie album was in 5.1. Going to have to look into that!

Heathen, Reality, Station To Station, David Live, Stage, and Ziggy Stardust also received 5.1 mixes. Bowie's policy on remixing was that it had to be done by the album's original producer, so the mixes are really inconsistent overall. Tony Visconti did excellent work on Heathen and Young Americans, but Harry Maslin completely blew it on Station To Station.

Heathen goes for absurd money now, but you should be able to find Young Americans in the $30-$40 range.
https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-Young-Americans/release/1558468
In his 2007 autobiography, Visconti revealed that he also completed 5.1 mixes of Low and Hunky Dory. Really wish they'd release those...

Heathen, Reality, Station To Station, David Live, Stage, and Ziggy Stardust also received 5.1 mixes. Bowie's policy on remixing was that it had to be done by the album's original producer, so the mixes are really inconsistent overall. Tony Visconti did excellent work on Heathen and Young Americans, but Harry Maslin completely blew it on Station To Station.

Heathen goes for absurd money now, but you should be able to find Young Americans in the $30-$40 range.
In his 2007 autobiography, Visconti revealed that he also completed 5.1 mixes of Low and Hunky Dory. Really wish they'd release those...

Hasn't it been also confirmed that he remixed Heroes in 5.1 more recently too?

Young Americans is one of my favourite lossy/non-hirez (whatever you want to call it) discs of all time - it's almost like a quad mix at times with it's 4-corner discreteness. Visconti, to me, is a guy who really "gets" surround - I think I said this in the Bowie poll thread, but I'd love to hear him have a go at some of the Thin Lizzy albums he worked on like Bad Reputation and Black Rose, or even the ones he didn't like Jailbreak and Johnny the Fox.

Hasn't it been also confirmed that he remixed Heroes in 5.1 more recently too?

Lodger is mentioned here in addition to the other two in my post, but I couldn't find any info on Heroes. It'd be fantastic if true. For now, the live version of the title track on the Stage DVD-A is pretty decent surround. Perhaps Visconti is similar to Bob Clearmountain in that he also does a 5.1 mix whenever he's enlisted to remix something?

I agree 100% that his Young Americans 5.1 is fantastic, but I think he definitely could've been more adventurous with T. Rex's Electric Warrior

Thanks for this. I saw all the others but didn't look on the non Hi-rez polls yet. Every day on this forum I find more and more stuff I need to buy. I wish I had $20k to just get everything in one go...
Looks like I just need to add Heathen, Reality (Really dig this album, and its somewhat cheap!) and Young Americans to the list!

Is there any difference between the SACD and DualDisc versions of Reality? (Other than the obvious)

Lodger is mentioned here in addition to the other two in my post, but I couldn't find any info on Heroes. It'd be fantastic if true. For now, the live version of the title track on the Stage DVD-A is pretty decent surround. Perhaps Visconti is similar to Bob Clearmountain in that he also does a 5.1 mix whenever he's enlisted to remix something?

I agree 100% that his Young Americans 5.1 is fantastic, but I think he definitely could've been more adventurous with T. Rex's Electric Warrior

Oh maybe that's what I was thinking of, I think I was conflating that with an episode of a BBC show called "Music Moguls" where he demonstrated how he mixed Heroes (the track). It certainly seems within the realm of possibility that he'd have mixed it in 5.1, given that he's apparently done albums on either side of it.

Had to put the Doobies on hold. Just received The Big Phat Band: The Gordian Knot.
Blu ray 5.1 and Atmos for all you Atmos lovers.
My first reaction : WOW. :LB :LB🥃:LB🥃o_O
So not just ambient then? I was going to order this, but I thought £40 for a single blu ray insured I wait for at least 1 review.

Had to put the Doobies on hold. Just received The Big Phat Band: The Gordian Knot.
Blu ray 5.1 and Atmos for all you Atmos lovers.
My first reaction : WOW. :LB :LB🥃:LB🥃o_O
I'm with YOU! Got home late from school last night, and it was waiting for me--I really got wrapped up in that Knot!
IMG_4461.JPG

Back